Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:28 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I have a $200 laptop with the BMW diagnostic and repair software on it (that I paid $100 for on ebay. ). I also put the Land Rover software on it (with particular attention put to the EAS software for recalibrating the air ride). I got the Land Rover software for $50 on ebay, as well. And you can get just the BMW TIS (workshop manual) and parts catalog for $10 on ebay right now.

Here's my buddy Edwin using it to reset a 740i Sport back to factory specs and enable some of the Euro features on the car:
Could you elaborate on what he enabled that isn't available to US models?>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 07:28 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
BMW's are the fricken ultimate in great engineering. BUT.....when you have to have thingees done to those suckers it is a NIGHTMARE.
Only on the new ones. Ones older than about 2003 or so are quite easy to work on. Let me give you an example, my stepson owned this '02 325i for a few years:

It had 200k on it when he got it from his dad. Needed a water pump one day. He bought a new pump for $50 from FCP Groton (with a lifetime warranty) and put it on in his grandma's driveway with only a couple standard hand tools.

His GF's car is a '93 325i that we bought for $1200:

The other day a coil pack went bad (the car has 195k miles on it) and we bought a replacement at the salavage yard for $10 and SHE put it on. Only takes a 10mm socket. To be honest, it needed front window regulators, as well, but to be fair, they had been broken by the PO when he tried to install a cheap stereo and door speakers. Luckly, they are available for under $100 each from FCP Groton and also come with a lifetime warranty.

This is my old BMW. Had it for over 5 years and was at 185k miles:

I did the water pump, radiator, expansion tank, hoses, front upper control arms, tie rods, rebuilt the alternator, replaced the cam position sensor, high pressure PS hose, and the rear intake cover. Those were the repairs it needed in the 5 years I had it. About a grand in repairs total. Another $500 in tune up parts (plugs, matched and flowed injectors, filters, etc). Easiest oil changes I've hever had to do in a car (canister type oil filter in easy reach at the front of the engine comparment when you open the hood). I spent a bunch in upgrades, like wheels and tires, H&R springs and Koni shocks, custom exhaust, Akebono Euro ceramic brake pads, and various appearance mods. But I don't count those in the maintenance cost of the car. Considering I got it at 143k miles with no records, I think it worked out well. The community of owners over at E38.org really makes owning one of these easy.

Oh, and for GrandviewGloria, that car was quite comfy and, at least until I did the custom exhaust, quiet, too.

The driving experience of the cars, their handling, balance, and feedback when pushing them is second to none when it comes to sedans, and damn good even when compared to pure sports cars. This is what makes a little extra maintenance worth it compared to more plebian appliances. I fully intend on having another E38 7 series, probably a 2001 SWB Sport model, like this one:

Old 10-09-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
Could you elaborate on what he enabled that isn't available to US models?>

it was mostly lighting features he was doing. Things like the rear fog lights, which are not turned on in US cars.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:59 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,342,108 times
Parts are not bad if you get them online. You will most likely have to turn your own wrenches though. Plan on working on it fairly often.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Had one widow regulator go out...

Dealer was almost $500.

Did it myself for $30 part online and about 2 hours time.

Could do it faster after doing the first one.

Dealer charges $550 per axle for brakes... buying the parts at the Dealer cost about $160

Old 10-10-2012, 12:11 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
For what its worth, have owned a lot of BMWs over the years, all used, including several early 6-series, many with high-mileage (over 200K). They were all generally fun and reliable machines, and I've never had to put nearly as much money into any of 'em, as I have in some American and Japanese brands (including Toyota)!

So if a Beemer is what calls to you, then just go for it and find something you really like. But be sure to get it thoroughly checked out, and be aware that even if it may look real "purty" on the outside, these are "drivers cars" and things like the drivetrain and transmission may require a little closer inspection. And then be prepared to learn about their quirks and maintenance, ask around to find yourself a good affordable & trustworthy mechanic for when needed, and most of all... enjoy!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:57 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
One thing I noticed about BMW owners is they usually fall into three camps:

1) New-car-leasers; 2-3 years and they're done with em
2) Auto-mechanic-BMW-enthusiasts; they enjoy working on their own cars and have the time and desire and money for tools to do so
3) I-earn-over-150k-a-year-thus-can-afford-it types; you know, biziness owners and executive types

Folks like those above assume that the said OP is going to fall into one of these camps. I know it won't be #3, and obviously not 1, so that's left with 2.

Not everyone likes working on their own cars. If something is wrong with my car, I take it to the shop (unless it's super easy, like needs new windshield wipers, or washer fluid, ... maybe something complex but cheap like taking apart the rearview mirror assembly).

Most people HATE working on their car or are AFRAID of doing so. I personally fall into the former.

Yes, you can save up to 70% of the cost of bringing a BMW to the dealer by doing it yourself, but that's assuming you don't mind sinking at least a couple hours doing whatever it is you need to do, and are enthusiastic about doing it again at some point.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:27 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
One thing I noticed about BMW owners is they usually fall into three camps:

1) New-car-leasers; 2-3 years and they're done with em
2) Auto-mechanic-BMW-enthusiasts; they enjoy working on their own cars and have the time and desire and money for tools to do so
3) I-earn-over-150k-a-year-thus-can-afford-it types; you know, biziness owners and executive types

Folks like those above assume that the said OP is going to fall into one of these camps. I know it won't be #3, and obviously not 1, so that's left with 2.

Not everyone likes working on their own cars. If something is wrong with my car, I take it to the shop (unless it's super easy, like needs new windshield wipers, or washer fluid, ... maybe something complex but cheap like taking apart the rearview mirror assembly).

Most people HATE working on their car or are AFRAID of doing so. I personally fall into the former.

Yes, you can save up to 70% of the cost of bringing a BMW to the dealer by doing it yourself, but that's assuming you don't mind sinking at least a couple hours doing whatever it is you need to do, and are enthusiastic about doing it again at some point.
I have a slightly different take...

At a minimum, my Dealer is 45 minutes away unless it is commute time... then, easily over an hour.

So, I'm committing at least two hours just dropping it off, paying for the repair and getting home.

Plus, I would most likely have to get a rental which is at least $40 for the day, unless I could use the shuttle, which takes more time and doesn't go anywhere near where I need to be.

I find it is just not with car repair... but with many things.

My friend called a locksmith to re-key his door lock... It shot most of his afternoon and cost $75

I suggested he stop at the local hardware store and pick-up a new lock for $25 and he could change it out in 15 minutes.

I don't mind paying for service if it saves me time... it's just many times, I still have to hang around so I'm not really saving time.

My brother used to laugh when he learned I still do my own oil changes... he has had two stripped oil drain plugs and doesn't laugh anymore... My daily driver is a 91 Chevrolet Silverado with many miles and I'm the only one that has worked on it... still looks and drives like new... always being asked if I will sell it.

If you have a good mechanic... that is half the battle.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I find it is just not with car repair... but with many things.

My friend called a locksmith to re-key his door lock... It shot most of his afternoon and cost $75

I suggested he stop at the local hardware store and pick-up a new lock for $25 and he could change it out in 15 minutes.
This times a million. People simply don't do their own work on anything anymore and skills that were once considered necessary to get through life are getting lost. And people are spending more money due to that. I like bieng able to reapir my own stuff, even if there are times when I checkbook it. It allows me to own things that others are afraid of (like BMWs) at low cost. Fixing things around the house is not "fun" but it's rewarding. Knowing I can repair electrical, plumbing, or construction issues without calling in someone and paying through the nose for the service, is a very rewarding feeling. I don't need a garage full of special tools, either.

And we've stopped teaching it in school. Woodshop and metalshop and chemistry and hands on learning has gone away due to fears of injury. My wife learned soldering in metalshop in middle school and is as good as I am or the pros at soldering copper pipe for plumbing. She's proud of the fact that she can help repair stuff around the house, too.

In the age of the internet, the information on how to do anything is out there. People just need to stop being afraid of it.

Oh, and about the time thing. Yes, time is money, UNLESS it's time you would have been wasting watching TV or lounging around anyhow. Time is only money if that time would have been spent MAKING money. I don't take time out of working my job to work on my cars, thus it's not costing me anything, and if I miss an episode on TV, well, that's what the DVR is for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI