Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 07:09 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the insights, Merc.

I did some digging, and there's no hold mode in the US spec version which also has the small gas tank. Both done to meet CARB BEVx criteria which require no hold feature and that the EV range be at least as long as the gas range. So it's basically out, which is okay really as it'd be tempting and really does cost more than I'd like.

Anyway, back to the two-car landscape for what will replace the Prius in several years. I'd like to go more electric, but the only thing that's an option is the Volt. I didn't really consider it but since having the Prius, I really enjoy the anemic electricness and want more. The wrench is the Tesla 3. The $35k price is reasonable, but I really don't know about a 200 mile range. Also the main reason would be that the Prius and Volt just aren't fun cars to drive in the traditional sense. That was kind of why the i3 was interesting, but that's definitely out for me. How much the Tesla 3 will lose in that regard is a big question. I'm kind of thinking it will be most of it and it'll end up like the E-Golf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 04:02 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,069,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
It has a small motorcycle style engine as the range extender generator. Don't know why it would need a wankel version.
The bike engine is not designed for generator applications. A Wankel is one third of the size and weight of the equiv power output piston unit. It could drive the car 100% and still have the same size battery bank as the EV only model. They are being seriously considered for such applications. They make the most sense in these applications.

Engines designed to power vehicles directly are never fully suited to generator applications. The Volt proves that. We are still waiting for a series-hybrid to have a purposely designed genny engine.

One thing about the i3 over the Volt is that it is simpler with less to go wrong.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:54 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,299,576 times
Gave ity back this morning. There were two more being charged up when I droppe di off, and there are three on teh front line and another one in the showroom. Looks likethe dealership epects to sell a bunch of them. If peopel don't know aboutthe Volt (and many dont) then they might sell onteh badge and fun to drive factor alone. But with the Volt and the Leaf in the mix, the value just isn't there. And for the lease price they are going for, I'd rather jump up just a small amount and go for the ELR:

Which is now leasing out at about the same as the i3 (the dealership that those two were at was selling them for just under $60k, which is $15k off sticker)

I'll wait and test the Volt II which should be out this coming year, and I look forward to the Tesla Model 3, to see how it stacks up vs the Model S (I doubt it'll have the range or the speed,in order to make a case to kep the S). It's nice to see options, but this option (the i3) is just not for me at this time. If it leased out like a 3 series, that might be a bit different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI