Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 09:37 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times

Advertisements

It all started with helping out a friend. He was looking into MINI John Cooper Works models and I was helping out with research and pricing. My wife was a MINI Genius at the local dealership for a few years and we've had a couple MINIs ourselves. And while I was looking, I ran across a '13 JCW Roadster for a really good price. But it was listed as a shiftable automatic. Pictures showed, however, a manual trans. Hmmm. This was a car I've wanted since we had our first MINI. I've missed the ZHP convertible (never should have sold it) for weekend romps and tours with the top down. And with the Bolt, the Volt has become redundant (I've put 300 miles on it since March). I tried to make it more personal and desirable, but the Bolt is just more fun to drive.

So I called the dealership it was at (4.5 hours away in Virginia Beach). We crunched the numbers and talked about trading the Volt in. The numbers looked good and the salesguy confirmed it was indeed a manual trans. I checked the carfax on it. 52k miles, one owner car, service records on carfax (including a water pump replacement at 36k miles). Drove down there yesterday in the Volt and drove the MINI. Everything seemed to work like it was supposed to and man, put it in Sport and the exhaust valves open up with the most wonderful little growl and burbles and pops on the overrun (not obnoxious like some burble tunes, but a sweet factory rortyness). Took a moment to get in the groove of how to drive manual (to much time in EVs lately lol), but it was easy. Made sure it drove good, no clunks or rattles. Brembo brakes stop nicely. Steering was perfect.

Paperwork took very little time, and I left Virginia beach at 2 pm. And just before the tunnel on I64 (the only way out of Virginia beach heading north, really) traffic started backing up. Learned how stiff the clutch was on the JCW. But traffic cleared after the tunnel until we got to I95 north. From that point on, I averaged 20 mph back to Baltimore. Ugh. Got Home at 8:30pm, wondering if going back to a manual was the right thing to do. lol.

Too bad it's raining today as my wife wants to drive around with the top down. She loves it. Meet Rowdy the Roadster:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 12:35 PM

sun came out, so the top went down today!

so much fun!

Old 01-02-2021, 09:38 AM

28 posts, read 37,708 times
Beautiful!

You just did what I've been thinking about. Thanks for sharing those great pictures.

Good luck with the clutch.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:29 PM

Did a photoshoot at Baltimore's Graffiti Alley with a few friends. A little chilly but still good enough to put the top down:

Old 03-15-2021, 01:59 PM

Upgraded the interior with some wood accents:

Old 05-21-2021, 01:18 PM

Subtle things are best.

Old 05-27-2021, 05:35 AM

Well, pulled up the VIN on bimmer.com and found it's Monroney sticker. Looks like the only options it didn't get were chrome mirror covers and the extra cost automatic transmission. This is the reason I didn't get one new, as this was exactly what I was looking for at the time and it was, when all was said and done, a nearly $50k MINI when new.
Attached Thumbnails
MINI John Cooper Works roadster-window_sticker.jpg  

Old 07-17-2021, 01:27 PM

So I removed the slightly deteriorating original black vinyl stripes and spent a few hours custom painting some ghosted gold pearl Union Jack stripes under a new coat of clear. They are brilliant in the direct sun, but almost vanish when looked at from many angles. Nice and subtle, but custom.
Attached Thumbnails
MINI John Cooper Works roadster-ministripes07.jpg   MINI John Cooper Works roadster-ministripes09.jpg   MINI John Cooper Works roadster-ministripes11.jpg   MINI John Cooper Works roadster-ministripes12.jpg   MINI John Cooper Works roadster-ministripes13.jpg  

MINI John Cooper Works roadster-ministripes19.jpg   MINI John Cooper Works roadster-ministripes20.jpg  

Old 07-17-2021, 06:43 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
Nice.
How many miles on it now?
Any mechanical issues?
I am tinkering with replacing my Veloster Turbo at 70+ K miles and there aren't much options in the manual transmission department.

Old 07-18-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
Nice.
How many miles on it now?
Any mechanical issues?

58k now, and no issues to report. The later 2nd gen models with the turbo 1.6 were the N18 engine and they have much fewer problems than the earlier 2nd gen with the N14. so if you get an S or JCW newer than about 2011, they should have the better engine. And sticking with the manual reduces the issues that the 6 speed auto can have with solenoids.

The third gen cars (F56) newer than about 2015 have proven to be quite reliable (even if they are basically small BMWs) and are fun, too. I just don't care for their size after having one, and they don't look quite as good as the earlier cars. But they are still fun to drive.

Here's a graphic of the various bodystyles and model codes:
Attached Thumbnails
MINI John Cooper Works roadster-bodystyles.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI