Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2021, 09:20 PM

798 posts, read 502,771 times

Advertisements

I bought a 2013 BMW 328i 2 door coupe and it came with a dash came not oem

The dash cam wire interferes with my visibility. It was not installed correctly.

How can I remove the wire? It runs along the headboard and falls down when I am driving in m3 in curves at 65 mph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 10:16 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,963 times
The best way will depend on the specifics of how and where it was installed.

When there is no power to the wire:
If the other end goes to the fuse block, then pull that extra fuse block tap and just pull the wire out entirely.
If it goes to a crimp-connector on some other power wire, then remove the crimp-connector, wrap the existing wire with electrical tape, and pull the Dash cam wire out entirely.
If you don't want to go through all that trouble, cut the cable, then divide the two wires and cut one shorter so there's no chance the bare ends could touch. Then fold over the ends back against itself and wrap with electrical taps so there's no change the live wire could touch some metal part of your car. Then just push the cable remains behind / in side the dashboard.

However, let me suggest that Dash Cams are pretty handy. You might try rerouting the wire instead, if possible. Or wrapping the cable with a few turns of electrical tape so it's "thicker", so when you push it up into the headliner, it stays there. Or such.

Old 06-15-2021, 11:46 PM

798 posts, read 502,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
The best way will depend on the specifics of how and where it was installed.

When there is no power to the wire:
If the other end goes to the fuse block, then pull that extra fuse block tap and just pull the wire out entirely.
If it goes to a crimp-connector on some other power wire, then remove the crimp-connector, wrap the existing wire with electrical tape, and pull the Dash cam wire out entirely.
If you don't want to go through all that trouble, cut the cable, then divide the two wires and cut one shorter so there's no chance the bare ends could touch. Then fold over the ends back against itself and wrap with electrical taps so there's no change the live wire could touch some metal part of your car. Then just push the cable remains behind / in side the dashboard.

However, let me suggest that Dash Cams are pretty handy. You might try rerouting the wire instead, if possible. Or wrapping the cable with a few turns of electrical tape so it's "thicker", so when you push it up into the headliner, it stays there. Or such.
Your lady friend is a very lucky girl

Old 06-29-2021, 08:01 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflag71 View Post

The dash cam wire interferes with my visibility. It was not installed correctly.

How can I remove the wire? It runs along the headboard and falls down when I am driving in m3 in curves at 65 mph
It doesn't sound like it was done well but I wouldn't remove the wires, I would secure it. You should either keep it or replace it with a smaller unit. Dashcam have saved me multiple times from insurance issues or just having good examples of bad drivers.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:17 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflag71 View Post

If you're not going to use it, just cut the wire with scissors closest to the point where it goes into the headliner, put a bit of tape on it, and slide it into the body panel with a screwdriver.

If you plan to use it, just secure it into the headliner by pushing the wire into the gap, then put a bit of a good tape (I use 3m VHB double-sided tape, just tiny little bits as it's super strong) in between the headliner and the roof and you'll never see it again.

I have a dashcam and this is how I installed it. You can't see the wire at all and it never falls out. Be careful with that VHB tape though- it's sooo strong that you need to use very, very little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI