Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 05:55 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
May be good. But how well will the jobs pay?
Probably not very well for the retail positions. I was thinking more of the construction phase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 06:31 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,152 times
Henry's is not building in Boise anytime soon according to KTVB.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:18 PM

863 posts, read 2,992,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Probably not very well for the retail positions. I was thinking more of the construction phase.
Construction is helpful, but short term. We need long term, GOOD paying employment. I'm NOT going to say it isn't helpful, but more retail is NOT going to cut the mustard in the bigger picture!

Old 12-16-2010, 01:36 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
I read thru, but haven't seen anything about a projected opening date. Has a general timeline been released?

Old 12-16-2010, 02:56 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
May be good. But how well will the jobs pay?
I worked for WF awhile ago, and I have many friends that still do. New hires will start between $8 and $10 depending on local economy for the floor and front of house positions, and specialty departments can start between $9 and $12 depending on economy and experience. If you are really experienced, you can start at more. They treat their employees good. Not really sure about the hiring process for new stores, but they generally hire part-time at first. However, you can work up 30 hours as a part-timer. They will not allow part-timers to work more than 30 hours a week because then you might demand health insurance. The schedules tend be flexible, so it is fairly easy to design a schedule that works around your life instead of the other way around. Some departments have set shifts, though.

After about three months, sometimes sooner, you become eligeble for full-time is space allows it. In order to gain full-time employment, the other employers "vote" on accepting you as a full time employee. Unless you are a complete waste of a human, you will not be voted down. At least I have never heard of it happening to anyone. Once at full-time status, you get health insurance/dental and monthly profit sharing; witch is a monthly check for about $300.

You don't really need to know anything about the particular departments. For example, you don't need to know about cheese to work in the specialty section. They will train you, but a little knowledge won't hurt.

The only thing of real importance is that you know about the products they sell. As you are probably aware, they deal with organic, whole, and holistic products. Yes, they do get tons of hippies and liberals that shop there, which is ironic since the founders and real higher-ups are Conservatives. Anyways, do not talk politics. Do not say that the place has a hippy or freak cliental. Don't mention any of that. But if you do not know what organic is, or sustainable farming, etc., you might not get hired unless you show an interest to learn.

The hiring process...you need to submit your application electronically. There is no other way. Just go to their website and navigate to it. You can upload your resume, if you like. Be warned, WF does the "personality screening" thing. You know, Have you ever stolen a pencil from work? Yes. No. Those kinds of questions. Do not answer them truthfully (of course you've taken a pencil from work, who hasn't?). Lie. Make yourself look good. Just google screening tests for more info on how to beat them.

I guaranty that if you answer them truthfully, you will not be called in for an interview.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:56 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I worked for WF awhile ago, and I have many friends that still do. New hires will start between $8 and $10 depending on local economy for the floor and front of house positions, and specialty departments can start between $9 and $12 depending on economy and experience. If you are really experienced, you can start at more. They treat their employees good. Not really sure about the hiring process for new stores, but they generally hire part-time at first. However, you can work up 30 hours as a part-timer. They will not allow part-timers to work more than 30 hours a week because then you might demand health insurance. The schedules tend be flexible, so it is fairly easy to design a schedule that works around your life instead of the other way around. Some departments have set shifts, though.

After about three months, sometimes sooner, you become eligeble for full-time is space allows it. In order to gain full-time employment, the other employers "vote" on accepting you as a full time employee. Unless you are a complete waste of a human, you will not be voted down. At least I have never heard of it happening to anyone. Once at full-time status, you get health insurance/dental and monthly profit sharing; witch is a monthly check for about $300.

You don't really need to know anything about the particular departments. For example, you don't need to know about cheese to work in the specialty section. They will train you, but a little knowledge won't hurt.

The only thing of real importance is that you know about the products they sell. As you are probably aware, they deal with organic, whole, and holistic products. Yes, they do get tons of hippies and liberals that shop there, which is ironic since the founders and real higher-ups are Conservatives. Anyways, do not talk politics. Do not say that the place has a hippy or freak cliental. Don't mention any of that. But if you do not know what organic is, or sustainable farming, etc., you might not get hired unless you show an interest to learn.

The hiring process...you need to submit your application electronically. There is no other way. Just go to their website and navigate to it. You can upload your resume, if you like. Be warned, WF does the "personality screening" thing. You know, Have you ever stolen a pencil from work? Yes. No. Those kinds of questions. Do not answer them truthfully (of course you've taken a pencil from work, who hasn't?). Lie. Make yourself look good. Just google screening tests for more info on how to beat them.

I guaranty that if you answer them truthfully, you will not be called in for an interview.
Doesn't sound like too bad of a place to work for a retail grocery store. One of the things about WF I have liked the most, is that the employees really seem to like their job-very friendly.enthusiastic and helpful. The food selection is off the charts. Expensive yes-but so much great food to chose from.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:25 PM

14 posts, read 29,701 times
Whole Foods Sails Through Design Review | citydesk

Old 01-18-2011, 05:41 PM

14 posts, read 29,701 times
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...01050829414870

Old 07-24-2011, 04:25 AM

405 posts, read 1,280,796 times
Rather than start a new thread, I would like to resurrect this thread on the subject.. Any news when Boise is going to get this supposed Whole Foods? I am told the Boise Co-Op is rather limited and the store is overpriced with unfriendly service.. From what I have read on Yelp, a usually reliable source, that is the general consensus of many reviewers. Usually, with a health food store you will not see so much condemnation, but several people have given the store bad reviews with the same complaints, which makes me ascertain that these views are legitimate. Anyway, I'd be eager to learn when a Whole Foods will be built, as I always have the most confidence in Whole Foods, despite it being a major nationwide chain.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
Rather than start a new thread, I would like to resurrect this thread on the subject.. Any news when Boise is going to get this supposed Whole Foods? ... Anyway, I'd be eager to learn when a Whole Foods will be built, as I always have the most confidence in Whole Foods, despite it being a major nationwide chain.
I just looked this info up doing an internet search and found this link:

Coming soon to Downtown Boise: Whole Foods construction zone | Boise, Garden City, Mountain Home | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/08/05/1750712/coming-soon-to-downtown-boise.html - broken link)

Construction is expected to begin around Oct. 1, 2011, could take between 12-14 months, according to the info at that link. We're waitin', WF!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area