Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 18,334 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

I'm considering relocating to Boise and was wondering if you had any feedback on how gay friendly Boise is as a community? Is there a gay area/section?

Also, what neighbourhoods would you suggest as far as housing, that are closer to Boise State and/or downtown, and have a community spirit type feel? I'm thinking of cafes, meeting places, etc...

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 12:31 PM

424 posts, read 1,379,332 times
I don't necessarily know about being harassed, but Boise is a pretty conservative/family oriented town in general so it's not necessarily overly friendly towards gays. That being said you will find more people willing to accept such things in the North End part of town.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:55 PM

516 posts, read 375,771 times
Gay friendly? Not very.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:27 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
Don't ask, don't tell.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:44 AM

15 posts, read 54,656 times
Theres an annual Boise Gay pride parade. That should tell you something right there. Add the fact most of the migration to Boise and Idaho is from Californians. From what I rememeber most Californians I met had a blase attitude regarding the gay lifestyle. I think some of them were married in the closet gay or just were gay and proud. So Im thinking they have changed the culture of Boise, like they have California the last fifty years. I remember somebody telling me seven out of ten men in Los Angeles are either gay or bisexual. Not to make a moral judgment either way.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:20 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
People in Boise tend to be very conservative, but in a libertarian way. So as long as you don't flaunt being gay, most people don't care. But other than seeing a rainbow flag on a local bar downtown, I don't ever see people flying the rainbow flag in front of their house. There is no gay neighborhood, no gay district.

Most of the people moving here from California are moving here because Boise is conservative. Read an article a few months ago that said that most of the California transplants tend to be more conservative than the natives.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:46 PM

674 posts, read 1,458,995 times
That's silly.

Boise's certainly not Portland or SF liberal, but it's certainly not super conservative either. That's Nampa and Caldwell.

Gays do fine here. Problem is, as I've heard, there's just not a super big population so you tend to know the same people and see them at the same 3 bars.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:23 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
I would say Boise is gay friendly in that people here could care less if you are gay or not. There isn't a huge gay population here by big city standards, but for Boise standards the gay community is pretty sizeable. Boise is Idaho's San Francisco. It is somewhat common to see ladies holding hands downtown. Boise is supposedly a Lesbian mecca town from what I have been told. Gay districts are lame and in Boise they live all over the city although the Northend and Eastend are the most popular neighborhoods. The Eastend and Northends are loosly referred to as the gayborhoods and I have heard Hyde Park referred to as the Lesbian hangout.
I've seen quite a few gay pride flags flying at peoples homes around the city.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 9,122 times
I'm considering re-locating to Boise as well. (Gay, male. 52. from NYC.) Been there 4 times already... don't know many people but every time I go, I'm really struck by how nice people are. Accepting of Gays and Lesbians? Don't have the complete picture there but was there for Boise Pride 2010 and was happy to see the number of people at the rally, march in the parade (no one watched) and those who attended the festival. It all felt surprisingly right. A Blue city in a red state.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:09 AM

2 posts, read 18,334 times
Hi Folks,

Thanks for all of the thoughtful responses. I spent a bit of time in Boise and thought it was really cool and beautiful. I'd say folks are lucky to be from Idaho; it's a really gorgeous state, with friendly people.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: