Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 03:54 PM

674 posts, read 1,458,693 times

Advertisements

Don't buy into Columbia Village - their homes are crap and its the reason their resale is so bad.

You can find 3 bedroom homes in SE Boise for under 200k, but you're going to be pushing right up against it.

I wouldn't buy in Meridian if I were you. That side of Boise is dull and has no character unless you enjoy miles and miles of the same ticky tacky development, strip malls, chain retailers, and churches. You're too far from the foothills to enjoy them on a daily basis, too far from the river, but you can hit up Best Buy or Buffalo Wild Wings on a daily basis. Good luck riding your bike, too.

I will admit, downtown Meridian is somewhat cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 07:01 PM

863 posts, read 2,992,091 times
Sorry HP, but I don't share your opinion of CV. I may be called biased, but I've lived in CV since 1991, in 2 different homes. We had our 2nd built and watched many others. CV was originally promoted as affordable living. Originally there were 5 builders and a couple were kicked out because of inferior construction and they are names still building in Boise. So yes, like many other parts of Boise there ARE some homes that were not well constructed. Also, back in that day, these homes were mostly single story, 3br/2 ba with basic finishes, no upgrades like hardwood floors and 3 car garages. The newest homes, built in the last 5 years or so, are more like much of current construction, with those features. They quit promoting CV as affordable living about then as well. There is also a perception that with the downturn of Micron, property values have plummeted. Well I can say that certainly hasn't helped, but you can't blame Micron for all of it. Three homes on my street have sold by the property owner this year.

CV has many amenities, community pools, parks (Simplot and Barber), trails, and of course a great location with easy access to the freeway and the hills, Shakespeare, and of course Bens Crow Inn. Like any home purchase, an astute buyer will do his homework and get an inspection. I do agree though with your comment on price in SE Boise. But CV is one of the best locations to try and find something at that price point. There's also smaller subs; a few come to mind like Breckenridge, Silverwood, and Cove East. Find a realtor to input your data and get a list from MLS.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,665 times
For what it's worth, I have a friend who was looking to buy into CV earlier this year. The prices were good and he loved the location. The realtor absolutely steered him away because of the reputation of the homes and the resale values. I share HP's opinion in that regard.

But it is a pretty good location, if not a build sprawley for my taste.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:26 AM

Hmmm. I'm not here to be on the defensive, but would like to learn more about the reputation issue. I wasn't aware of that. In that light, I'd also suggest to stear clear of Trailside Place.

My guess on the value issue that it's connected to Micron's downsizing reducing demand and the draw for cheaper, larger housing as you go west. Though I'd also like to say that I have more neighbors who don't work at Micron, than do.

Also, CV was JR Simplot's vision for a planned community and was built with the intention of 2,000+ homes, including amenitites that many (most) subs do not have including and Elem and Jr Hi within the sub. Sprawl ok, but at least it was planned.

There may be many reasons to buy or not to buy in CV (and anywhere else for that matter). But I still don't buy the idea that CV construction quality is categorically "crap".

Last edited by zoso1979; 08-17-2010 at 09:59 AM..

Old 08-17-2010, 04:43 PM

15 posts, read 46,610 times
Thanks everyone for inputs.

We are planning next week for house-finding trip to Boise.

I would really appreciate if people suggest area in Boise to explore. So far, I have learned to see CV and Harris Ranch (no home-listing for HR).

Any other subdivisions I should consider?

Thanks,
Sug

Old 08-17-2010, 04:55 PM

Link to SE Boise Neighborhoods and homes for sale by sub division.

South East Boise Neighborhoods - Boise Real Estate Center

Old 08-18-2010, 01:25 PM

341 posts, read 1,018,602 times
Of course everybody knows about the correlation between housing location desirability (which translates into market value) and quality of education/school-districts. With that in mind, what are the best school districts in Boise and the surrounding suburbs ?

Old 08-20-2010, 06:42 PM

How is Borah high School?

Borah was ranked close to Timberline in School ranking by Newsweek.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:24 PM

424 posts, read 1,379,020 times
Excellent Sports program and drama program. So-so for everything else.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:53 AM

Thanks MrGrumpy.

How is SW Boise neighborhoods? Its closer to I-84, downtown and ok commute to Micron.

Thanks for all your inputs.

Sug
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: