U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:48 PM
srl srl started this thread

6 posts, read 32,077 times

Advertisements

After reading tons of questions, posts, and threads about Boise, I finally decided to get some questions answered. My husband and I (both teachers) are hoping to relocate to the Boise area within the year. We have two children with our older one starting kinder in Septemeber of 2011. We're leaving Southern CA as we HAVE GOT to get her in a different school system other than where we are. The schools, the area, the people, the cost of living has all gone downhill. After much research we really liked what we have read, heard, and seen as far as the Boise area. Now, our question is, "WHERE TO LOOK?" I loved what I had seen online in Hidden Springs as it seems very family oriented with upstanding, educated, "community" type people, (somewhat of a "summer camp" for families???) however my concern is that it seems to be a bit removed. I like to walk and I would like to know if Hidden Springs is "walkable" to anything other than just their local library or mercantile. Someone had also told us to look at the subdivision of Paramount. I'd like to know if anyone can tell me how this compares to Hidden Springs. We're pretty much open to the Boise, Meridian, or Eagle area, I am just overwhelmed and don't even know where to begin really looking. We need good schools for both our children and our professions. We would like a newer home built no earlier than about 2003 (or around there) with a community pool. We also REALLY want that "community" feel where people ride bikes, kids play in the street, etc. My last question, (although not really all that major)- from reading all of these Boise posts, how big is the LDS population and would we be feeling a bit ostracized not being Mormon in this area??? Any help would be so much appreciated. Many thanks-
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 10:36 AM

863 posts, read 2,885,753 times
Your first priority should be finding employment. I don't know the exact hiring climate for teaching jobs, but there have been a lot of cut backs and we have a local college graduating teachers every year. Boise is a tough job market even in good times.

I know a lot of people who live in Hidden Springs, it is very walkable, but as you state, neighborhoods, and the local mercantile will be the extent of what you can visit. I don't know if they have a library our there or not. And yes it is removed, but in a beautifulful location. About 15 minutes or so from the North End. Which by the way is very walkable, but with older homes, some majorly remodeled and Hyde Park with coffeeshops and restaurants. I don't know anything about Paramount. Surprise Valley in SE Boise may also suit you. It is a community with a pool, Bown Crossing has the shops you can easily walk to but tends to be pricy. I dont know about the community spirit or pool but Harris Ranch may interest you as well.

Boise is not so affected by the LDS influence as other smalller more remote Idaho cities. It does tend to be conservative, but is fairy diverse as well. If you are ostracized it migh be because you are from California more than not being mormon. Even that's not an issue if you don't make it one.

Good Luck,

Old 09-11-2010, 01:14 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,179,019 times
If you don't already have it, here is the Paramount website.
Paramount | Meridian Idaho new homes and real estate in a master planned community

Old 09-11-2010, 11:38 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,571,254 times
Two things:

Teachers contracts have been cut here and no one is hiring. Keep in mind this is a right to work state, meaning union has little to no influence. I have a number of friends that can't find teaching jobs here.

Also, I'm not sure how much experience you have, but even if you find a job (most likely in Nampa or Meridian), I'm not sure the both of you will make enough to live in Hidden Springs. Expect less than 40k per year wherever you teach.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:27 AM

Okay, so the teaching job market is not so friendly. I guess I should clarify that we both have other options besides teaching that we're looking at. I guess I'm more focused on the housing, neighborhoods, and educational systems at this point.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:50 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,571,254 times
Well, the housing and neighborhoods for the most part are fine.

As with anyone who wants to move here, the issue is always jobs and money. That should be the first and only priority, otherwise you're putting the cart before the horse.

If money isn't an issue, Hidden Springs is a fine place to live, though the school there has been turned back over to Boise Ind. School district and will likely be (or is already) closed. So you have a heck of a little drive into town for school (not terrible, but more than is necessary).

Like most planned communities here Hidden Springs ran into financial problems and were unable to fulfill key aspects of their planning buildout, leaving the rest of us to pay for their infrastructure (also, Wildhorse Ranch and Avimor, among others). But, that aside, it's kind of neat out there.

But again, absent any ball park $$$ figures, it's hard to direct someone as to where they should look for housing. Living on a teacher's salary you're likely looking at generic Meridian housing (ie, sub-200k housing). If you're bringing money then that's a different story.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:27 AM

13 posts, read 70,070 times
We lived in Paramount and it was very, very community oriented and there were always people running, riding bikes, walking with toddlers. It's a very well kept up subdivision that has held it's property values pretty well from what I've seen. My kiddos didn't go to Paramount Elem. but I've heard rave reviews about it and the neighbor kids like it. It's in the subdivision, so very walkable. The library is closer to downtown Meridian where the subdivisions are mostly older, established communities.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:17 PM

23 posts, read 62,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Well, the housing and neighborhoods for the most part are fine.

As with anyone who wants to move here, the issue is always jobs and money. That should be the first and only priority, otherwise you're putting the cart before the horse.

If money isn't an issue, Hidden Springs is a fine place to live, though the school there has been turned back over to Boise Ind. School district and will likely be (or is already) closed. So you have a heck of a little drive into town for school (not terrible, but more than is necessary).

Like most planned communities here Hidden Springs ran into financial problems and were unable to fulfill key aspects of their planning buildout, leaving the rest of us to pay for their infrastructure (also, Wildhorse Ranch and Avimor, among others). But, that aside, it's kind of neat out there.

But again, absent any ball park $$$ figures, it's hard to direct someone as to where they should look for housing. Living on a teacher's salary you're likely looking at generic Meridian housing (ie, sub-200k housing). If you're bringing money then that's a different story.
I just moved to HS and dont know what you mean by HS having to be bailed out or you having to pay for infrastructure. There are some areas left for homes to be built but not many, and all infrastructure and amenities have been in place for some time. Avimor on the other hand appears to be deserted from what I can see driving by on 55)

Old 07-25-2011, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 10,115 times
just wondering what you decided??? I am also a teacher (although I don't plan to work when we move) and we have a daughter starting kinder in sep 2012. We really like the eagle area and are looking for many of the same things you are, just curious where you ended up!

Old 12-20-2011, 10:27 PM

Hi momof2girlies-We haven't ended up anywhere....still stuck in CA seeking employment and hoping to get out before our daughter goes into first grade. We had to bite the bullet and start her in kinder this year....sigh....trying to be patient....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area