Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 05:36 AM

232 posts, read 565,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
If your just going shopping all that isn't necessary. Just a cap and short jacket is fine. Stores in Boise do have heat
Now when your out for the day sitting in cold by all means buy the best and you will enjoy the weather.

Or do like I do and buy cheap crap a few times until I work my way up to the real item I wanted in the first place.

Hey Dez.... Howzit going?

I know what you mean in your statement above....it's the story of my life!

Like some of the others on here, I'm a little leery of the first winter and possibly the second (assuming I live through the first). Last night my wife and I were outside, just enjoying the cool temps. After a little while, I decided to go inside and get a sweatshirt because it was almost chilly. When I came back out, I looked at the thermometer and was it was 97 degrees!! Yeah, I'm gonna be in big trouble!!

I officially submitted for a 30 March 2011 retirement date, but nothing back from Washington yet. They can't keep me past 30 July....that's my mandatory retirement date. I just want to get there in the beginning of the nice weather (early April) to give us max time to find a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 09:18 AM

993 posts, read 3,252,040 times
Just move to Emmett and get the house shopping over quickly.
I already found you a house.
3767 North Fuller Road Foreclosure for Sale - MLS #98452052 - Realtor.com®

Old 10-23-2010, 11:47 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,079 times
Vin Crosby keeps saying this will be an El Nina winter with lots of snow pack and very cold.

I guess I'm cold natured (or would that be warm natured?) because unlike most of the posters here, I wear a calf length down coat with a hood for most of the winter. I'd freeze without it. I tend to get ear aches very easily so wear ear muffs too, and gloves. And a scarf wrapped around my face to keep my nose from freezing and running. How it manages to do both at one time I'll never know.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:12 PM

68 posts, read 170,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
...And a scarf wrapped around my face to keep my nose from freezing and running. How it manages to do both at one time I'll never know.
LOL!!! This is me! I will say if I stay active & my metabolism is up I stay warmer...but warmer is relative when it's the end of October & 80 outside like today.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Vin Crosby keeps saying this will be an El Nina winter with lots of snow pack and very cold.

I guess I'm cold natured (or would that be warm natured?) because unlike most of the posters here, I wear a calf length down coat with a hood for most of the winter. I'd freeze without it. I tend to get ear aches very easily so wear ear muffs too, and gloves. And a scarf wrapped around my face to keep my nose from freezing and running. How it manages to do both at one time I'll never know.

Lilly....

El Nina winter??? Oh, please say that's not true! For the past 14 years I have been living in either Africa or the Middle East, and my blood is thin, thin, thin!!!! As I was telling Dez above, I went in the house to get a sweatshirt the other night because I was chilly....and the temp was 97! A winter like that will send me packing....or six feet under. Yikes!!

We won't be arriving in Boise until early April, but a long winter could hang on that long, can't it? Man, I just got a shivver from typing this!

Old 11-07-2010, 07:45 AM

Default Househunting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
Just move to Emmett and get the house shopping over quickly.
I already found you a house.
3767 North Fuller Road Foreclosure for Sale - MLS #98452052 - Realtor.com®

The arial view made that 5 acres look suspiciously like a farm. A farm means work....which is something I plan to avoid in retirement!

I imagine that this whole house-buying this is going to take a lot longer than I want it to. If you look up the word "picky" in the dicionary, you'll find my wife's photo! She gets to pick the house, I get to pick the garage!

Old 11-07-2010, 11:37 AM

993 posts, read 3,252,040 times
A good weed eater and a riding lawn mower will make it work.
After all you'll be retired and looking forward to a small project everyday.
Then all the trail riding and fishing will need to be addressed

Old 01-24-2016, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,051 times
This is such a great post - I am glad I stumbled upon this. My boyfriend & I are relocating from AZ to ID (Meridian) come May so hopefully we don't have too much of an extreme acclimation difference right off the bat. Is there any other information (specifically from locals) that those coming from a desert climate should know about & be prepared for before the big move? And any additional info (from AZ or other desert state transplants) that would help as well?
I am mostly curious as to what the typical yearly weather is like temp. wise, and how often it snows in that particular part of Idaho. As mentioned by previous Arizonian's, the thin blood makes me not favor winter weather, which I know will take an adjustment period.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:16 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,079 times
This is the high desert, so you'll still have the aridity you're used to. Don't throw away your moisturizers.

The weather varies a lot. We've had a good snow storm this year, plus several more episodes of an inch or so. It stayed cold too, in the 20's for highs, so with a north facing house I had to clear the snow off the walk or it would have been an ice rink for a week till it warmed up enough to melt. People who had the foresight to buy south facing houses don't have to clear their walks but once or twice a year to keep them ice free.

We had several nights with temps in the single digits. Which means if you own your home you do need to winterize in the fall. Cover outdoor spigots, etc.

Right now low temps are in the mid 20's to mid 30's and highs are in the 40's which is warm for this time of year.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:02 PM

157 posts, read 357,250 times
I am a California girl and moved to Kentucky in 2006 and lived there for 6 years. I have a nice winter coat I bought when I lived in Kentucky, I call it "bringing out the big guns" rarely do I need to wear it. A jacket, gloves (because my hands always get cold) and a scarf and I am set. If it is really cold I wear a hat of some sort because having something on your head really does keep your body heat in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area