Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 12:19 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times

Advertisements

If you don't already have them, plan on buying some warm socks and good winter boots. if you don't know what makes a boot good for the winter, ask a sales person to help you out, and go for dry and warm over fashion every time.

And buy a nice comfy warm cap, a warm muffler, and a good pair of gloves.

When your feet are cold and wet, the rest of you is miserable. With the other stuff, you will be just fine most of the time. You can layer what you already have and get by.

But the feet come first on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 01:34 PM

818 posts, read 1,067,937 times
Do bring a pair of decent water proof / resistant boots for the occasional snow or rain. My wife changes back into her work shoes once she gets into the office.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:24 PM

27 posts, read 64,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryman View Post
I moved here from Atlanta a few years ago and agree with the other posts. Even if it is snowing, a good sweater and a coat is fine if you are doing your normal thing. I sport a bald head but even if you are blessed with an abundance of hair a beanie might not be a bad idea.

If you are going to stay outside a little longer rather than walking straight from your car to a store etc, you'll probably want nice layers, gloves and a scarf is optional if its really cold.

If you do plan on actually going into snow (not just going to the store), I do highly recommend a decent winter type boot and actual winter gloves rather than the knit gloves I was trying to use initially. I didn't realize how important good gloves and boots were until my second winter. Also the snow is usually pretty dry here and it doesn't rain that often. I have a light summer type rain jacket I will put over a winter jacket if I need to but I think I've only had to do that once.

It takes a good winter of experience before you get the hang of it.

Angryman are you still in Boise, we are in Savannah and looking at a potential move to next summer (2017). I'm looking forward low humidity. Savannah summers are a bit too humid for me.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:45 PM

447 posts, read 651,799 times
a friend of mine had a hard time dressing for boise after moving from arizona a few years back haha. i get by with jeans a sweatshirt/hoody and pair of gloves and thick socks on the coldest days but i don't spend more than 30 minutes outside at a time being an office worker and home body sweats and flannel pajamas are great to

Old 02-07-2017, 10:41 AM

117 posts, read 93,027 times
Hope this isn't too much of a subject change, but just wondering. I've been in Boise for 3 months, and I know there's the Village where you can shop for clothes ( I didn't investigate too closely.. only went to a movie there with a match.com date ).

Where is an inexpensive place for a guy to get a stylish, but thick jacket for every day ( but on dates too ), useage.

Fred Meyers maybe?

Old 02-07-2017, 11:11 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveburbank View Post
Hope this isn't too much of a subject change, but just wondering. I've been in Boise for 3 months, and I know there's the Village where you can shop for clothes ( I didn't investigate too closely.. only went to a movie there with a match.com date ).

Where is an inexpensive place for a guy to get a stylish, but thick jacket for every day ( but on dates too ), useage.

Fred Meyers maybe?
Watch for sales at The North Face downtown.

Been to the Boise Towne Square Mall yet?

Old 02-07-2017, 11:19 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveburbank View Post

Fred Meyers maybe?
Sierra Trading Post behind the Home Depot off Meridian Road.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:19 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
You pile all the coats and what-not into the shopping cart. Is one of your kids big enough to push a second cart?

Seriously, usually parking is quite close to the front door and you are not outside for long. I do it in a t-shirt. If it is exceptionally cold, I put on a sweat shirt. The time it takes to bundle up the kids and yourself, you could be indoor already.

In a restaurant, you hang your coat on the back of your chair, unless it is an extremely high end very expensive restaurant and those might possibly have a coat room. Probably not, though. The last time I saw a cloak room was the Louvre in Paris, where I think they were afraid of theft and bombs, not worried about the clientele carrying their coats around. I have seen coat hooks by the doors in restaurants. Those are unsupervised.

If you don't want to walk the kids to the door without coats, drive them around wearing sweat shirts and keep the car heater on low so they do not overheat.

However, this is important. All winter, you keep a set of warm clothing for each child in the car at all times. That is for if you break down and have to wait for help

Old 02-07-2017, 11:26 AM

Adding, if you buy quality winter wear with modern materials most of it is not thick. Spend a little more and get gortex and look for coats with heat reflecting liners.-- OK, maybe not for the fast growing children. If they are going to outgrow 3 coats in one winter, Costco is a great place to buy good quality winter coats for kids.

Put their mittens on a string attached to their coat, or they will lose them.

For the adults and for kids who have stopped growing, or have a smaller sibling to hand down to, I like the Columbia sportswear layer system jackets. There are a couple of really good ski wear/ outdoor wear companies that are worth teh money. My Columbia this year was $225 and worth it becasue it will last for years and years. I'm still wearing a Columbia jacket I bought 15 years ago and it still looks good.

Good outerwear is important, just maybe not needed to walk from the car to the grocery store.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:31 AM

Try a farm supply store for a snow boot called Boggs. It's a tall snow proof boot. Not stylish, but good for around the house, going to get the mail, running the snow blower.

We probably all have pair of Uggs.

They make inexpensive moon boots for kids that are really easy off and on, warm, and washable. They are cheap and I think they are the best option. For some reason, they stopped making them for adults, unless you want to spend a lot of money.

Everyone in the family needs a hat that covers their ears.

Yes, you buy a lot of different pieces of clothing because you will want to learn how to layer clothing.

When are you moving? Unless s it is in the middle of winter, I suggest that you wait and buy in Idaho. That way you get stuff that is actually genuinely appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area