Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2010, 09:37 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,761 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the area around Cecil D Andrus Grade School in Boise and I was wondering where to take my son for cub scouts. Or, if not in that area, perhaps a really good pack in the area. We tried a couple in AZ and they were aweful. Had an awesome one in Washington State.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 12:38 PM

424 posts, read 1,379,405 times
Not sure which district you would be in but they could probably tell you. Ore-Ida Council, BSA Home Page

I know I am going to get blasted for this but the best organized packs/troops, etc. are the ones that tend to be affiliated with churches (ie LDS, Nazarene, Methodist). You don't need to be a member of a given church to join these packs, just be aware that they are affiliated. *EDIT* It looks like you are somewhere between the Meridian and Capitol district

Old 09-27-2010, 06:57 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
I have my kids in Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts and live in the same general area as you. We take our boys to the troop that meets at Covenant Presbyterian Church on the corner of McMillan and 5 Mile. There is another troop that meets at Ustick Baptist Church which is on McMillan west of Eagle. Other than that, most of the other troops and packs in the area are going to be affiliated with LDS churches.

I like this troop because it is the right combination of down to earth kids and parents, they are fairly active and do campouts once a month. Went to another troop to check it out and it was full of type "A" parents and we would have gone broke trying to pay for equipment and traveling. Every campout required a whole different set of gear, one month it is climbing, next month kayaking, month after that it is canyoneering, etc...

Boise is a pretty strong area for troops and packs, but it does take a little effort to research and find the best fit. There is a troop for every personality type out there.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:46 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I have my kids in Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts and live in the same general area as you. We take our boys to the troop that meets at Covenant Presbyterian Church on the corner of McMillan and 5 Mile. There is another troop that meets at Ustick Baptist Church which is on McMillan west of Eagle. Other than that, most of the other troops and packs in the area are going to be affiliated with LDS churches.

I like this troop because it is the right combination of down to earth kids and parents, they are fairly active and do campouts once a month. Went to another troop to check it out and it was full of type "A" parents and we would have gone broke trying to pay for equipment and traveling. Every campout required a whole different set of gear, one month it is climbing, next month kayaking, month after that it is canyoneering, etc...

Boise is a pretty strong area for troops and packs, but it does take a little effort to research and find the best fit. There is a troop for every personality type out there.
Well, since I like the other posts I have read from you, what pack would you recommend for me. I think the LDS affiliation might be a bit too much, but is there a pack with the Baptist or Presbyterian chruch also. I know you mention troop, but my son is just a 3rd grader. I like the idea of camp outs. Thanks for your help

Old 09-28-2010, 07:32 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Covenant Presbyterian has Pack 132, technically affiliated with Gateway (McMillan Elementary) but meets at the church. I'm guessing that they have 30+ Cub Scouts and Webelos in their pack. One thing that I like about this group is that Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts meet on the same night, so if you have more than one son you only spend one night a week at meetings. Most of the other troops had Boy Scouts on one night and Cub Scouts on another night.

Don't know much about Ustick Baptist, call the district Boy Scout office and they can give you a contact number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area