U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2010, 02:40 AM

68 posts, read 157,194 times

Advertisements

We're doing it! I think...
The plan is to fly into Boise while the kids are on Fall Break, we can only stay for three nights because of my husbands small business, he just can't be gone too long. Money is money!

We will be staying close to the airport to cut down on travel time. But we plan on driving through Eagle & Meridian. Looking at neighborhoods and schools. Also going to the mall to see what the locals are like.

How long does it take to go through the zoo? What are some places visitors should take time to see?

Any and all thoughts appreciated!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 04:49 PM

2,687 posts, read 6,530,542 times
The zoo takes about 1 1/2 to two hours. I would check out Hyde Park on 13th st. The MK nature trail in Municipal Park off of Warm Springs Ave, is nice and free. There are a handful of museums right around the zoo you can check out. The Basque block is also kind of cool, you can experience a culture most people outside of Boise, Reno and a few other places most people have never heard of. They have a museum and some restaurants and bars.

I would also eat at the Westside Drive-in on State St.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:24 PM

Ok - well we're still up in the air & we'd be leaving Saturday if we decided to go. So.....nothing like last minute plans!!

Thanks jufrbo!!

We just want to look & see if the area has things that are important to us.
Neighborhood would be first, community second, entertainment third. We enjoy festivals and farmers markets, we enjoy good food and shopping. Museums are a plus for me & the kids but no way I could drag my husband through one!

Old 10-05-2010, 10:45 PM

804 posts, read 1,849,630 times
Definetly go to the 8th Street farmers market if you make it up here in time on Saturday. As far as neighborhoods. I would take a look at Northend, Eagle/Meridian and SE Boise (closest to the Airport of the mentioned).
Eagle and Meridian are nice, but I prefer areas closer to downtown, a lot more trees, closer to the greenbelt/Anne Morrison Park (which you should also check out by the way, could see a lot more locals).
If you want some scenery, you could drive up the Mountain to Bogus Basin...Not really much to do up there right now, I believe they have a restraunt or 2 open during the day, but its a nice drive, and you can see what the ski resort has to offer for the winter time.
If you like sushi at all I would go to Shige's at some point, try to make it early evening though as that place is a zoo at night. Its right in the middle of downtown so you can get a vibe for what's going on there.
Unfortunately I don't have too many more recommendations of must see's. I haven't been here long enough to really determine which places will leave the best imprint on you when you return home.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:31 AM

I have made a note of all parks we should see - also found Eagle Island which might be interesting for us even though it will be too chilly to play in the water.
Sushi is a great idea & the downtown "vibe" is definitely something we need to experience.
I understand not knowing what will make an impression , I myself feel a little lost on what is "Must See"!

Old 10-06-2010, 11:47 AM

3,097 posts, read 6,023,953 times
Must See's:
1-State Capitol Building which is open most days to the public
2-Boise Train Depot and grounds
3-Downtown--make sure to stroll through the Saturday Market along 8th Street and Idaho.
4-Northend including Hyde Park
5-Warm Springs Ave area and the Old Idaho Pen which is open for tours. The Pen is like a huge museum.
6-Any of the large city parks along the Boise River...Kathryn Albertsons Park on Americana Blvd is one to note.
7-Boise Art Museum and the Idaho Historical Museum downtown at Julia Davis Park.
8-The Greenbelt
9-A link for various city events going on this month--http://www.fallforboise.com
10-The mall is ok, typical of many malls but if you want to see the real Boiseans then hang out downtown where the best shopping and restaurants in the city are at.

and take the loop out of downtown on Parkcenter Boulevard (a really beautiful street) to Bown Crossing, cross the new bridge over the river and then head back into downtown along Warm Springs Ave.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:56 AM

So sad... I just typed up a whole thing & lost it!! Hate that.

Ok! Thank you for the tips! All have been copy & pasted into my "Idaho Idea" document.
I noticed on the calendar that Botanical Garden is doing a scarecrow theme....is there any fall foliage yet or is it to early?

BTW- We're driving. Not fun..but definitely frugal! So we'll be there too late for the 8th St Market.... sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area