Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 08:19 AM

434 posts, read 3,178,125 times

Advertisements

As far as places to look for houses, I really like the area around DeMeyer Park which is located just north of McMillan and between 5 Mile and Cloverdale. The houses are new enough that you don't need to worry about much, yet old enough that the landscaping is really starting to look mature. Don't know what your price range is but I see houses in our neighborhood going from $235,000 and up from there. You can commute to downtown in 20 minutes and you are very close to all of the shopping on Eagle Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 11:29 AM

7 posts, read 60,320 times
Twinkle, You answered many questions about Idaho that I was questioning. We are relocating from las Vegas and are tossing around Columbus, Ohio and Boise, Idaho- of course i hear alot of nice things about Eagle... I hear Meridian has majority of Hispanics and that Idaho itself has alot of LDS.... none of these things bother me- except if i feel like an outcast. I am not LDS nor hispanic- i do want my children to live in a diverse community- but not feel as if every neighbor is LDS and going on church outings and mine are not a part of it. I want the small town charm but with up and modern things to do. I know you didn't mention having kids- but you or anyone else who can give me an insite as to living there from the points i questioned? also, how tough is the winter snow in eagle area- or any other tight knit community outside boise. My husband is a police officer and plans to test for Boise police- anyone also know if he will be bored or dangerous work there- coming from vegas?? thanks for any other tips!!!

Old 08-03-2008, 11:41 AM

7 posts, read 60,320 times
one more thing.. twinkle, could i get your realators name /number emailed to me- i plan to go visit in the next month and you seemed pleased with her. Thanks!

Old 08-03-2008, 03:37 PM

434 posts, read 3,178,125 times
I would say that Meridian is nowhere close to having any Hispanic majority or any even any signs of any Hispanics. The towns close to Boise that do have any Hispanic influence would be Nampa or Caldwell.

Meridian is your typical suburban city, there's nothing good or bad about it.

If you want diversity Idaho is not the place to move to. However, there are neighborhoods in Boise that have some refugees from around the world living there. Since moving here I have met Bosnians, Rwandans, Karen(Burma), Russians and many other refugees that have settled in the Boise area. Most of them have settled in pockets of the North End and on the Bench area of town.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:42 PM

27 posts, read 123,802 times
Hi JoeandKelly --

I just sent you a direct message so hopefully you got it!

I closed on my house in Boise last week. It's been a year since I left this message so it just made me giggle to find this thread open again today A long year but I can't wait to get into my house! I fly in Tues night and hopefully will never have to fly back to AZ again

Old 08-04-2008, 11:30 AM

306 posts, read 1,247,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
Hi JoeandKelly --

I just sent you a direct message so hopefully you got it!

I closed on my house in Boise last week. It's been a year since I left this message so it just made me giggle to find this thread open again today A long year but I can't wait to get into my house! I fly in Tues night and hopefully will never have to fly back to AZ again
Hooray! You are going to be here for Fall.
I chuckled too when I read this thread again. I thought it was ANOTHER person from AZ coming. You will be here almost a year to the date that we made the move from AZ. very cool

As you will soon see, the end of summer and the beginning of fall is the best time to move to Boise (IMHO). The heat will be easing off, the fall rolls in Beeeautifully ... you ease into winter (your desert bones begin to adjust quickly) and before you know it spring is here.

It's been a good year.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:26 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,947 times
First off, I haven't read the other posts, so forgive a possible redundancy.

Boise is actually known as "The City of Trees", and is based on les bois in French, which means "the tree". If you look at Boise from any of several overlooks in the foothills, you'll see it amply earns that name.

If you want decent priced living with a wealth of trees, I'd suggest the "North End" if you don't mind older houses/apts. The North End is pretty much anywhere North of State St., but mostly refers to the areas around Harrison Blvd., Hill Rd., Bogus Basin Rd. (up Bogus it gets pricey!), Hayes, and Fort. Also look into the streets surrounding Warm Springs, as those are LUSH with trees in every yard.

Another nice arbor area with a reasonable price and relatively newer development would be around the Emerald Rd. and Franklin Rd.-American Pkwy. intersection, just Southward of there (i.e., away from the mountains).

There's also a lot of affordable living around the aptly named "Greenbelt", a long Boise path system that, in its main portion, stretches all the way from far West Boise to WAY out East of Boise. Most of this path follows the Boise River, so that's where to look for real estate addresses on maps, Google Earth, etc. The Greenbelt is also quite lush and goes through many of the best parks, museums, etc. in Boise.

If you're looking for plenty of trees with all their shade and sound, you're looking into the right city.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:19 PM

10 posts, read 32,337 times
I'm glad you liked Boise......although I can't give you specifics, maybe I can add reassurance to your decision. I grew up in Eastern Oregon and we travel to Boise for everything that you need in a city....airport, specialized doctors, decent shopping, etc.

My husband on the other hand grew up in Phoenix and his parents live in Gilbert. The Phoenix are is HUGE! Everytime we go there I can't get over how darn big the place is.....and that is not a plus in my mind. Also, as you mentioned, it is so blasted hot there most of the year.

Whenever I go home to visit I fly into Boise and then drive to LaGrande.....and can I just tell you how much I love the Boise airport. It is a bit more expensive to fly in and out of there simply because it is small, but that is the best part. It small, low key and not crowded. I love it, and everyone is always soooo friendly and just there to help you.

Although Boise can get hot, it is nothing compared to Arizona....and if it get too hot, just take a day trip to McCall. It is beautiful up there and is in the mountains so a bit cooler. And the winter......not that bad at all. Sure it is more than Phoenix, but that is apples and oranges!

Enjoy Boise and don't look back. I pray my husband doesn't want to move back to his home area!!

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area