Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2010, 11:46 PM

4 posts, read 9,590 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live in Austin Texas and we are looking to move west after I finish my degree in finance next summer. She works in the IT business. We would likely give up some income by moving since she has worked her way up in a small company over the last 10 years and makes a decent wage. The plan is for me to venture out to Boise or Billings after school in search for employment while she maintains her job here in Austin to keep an income stream.

Billings is about half the size of Boise and my main concern would be finding employment in the finance/banking sector. We would likely have a smaller income in Billings from what I can tell, but housing and taxes seem to be cheaper in Billings than Boise so there is some trade offs. I was kinda surprised at Idaho taxes seeming a bit high. Perhaps the zero income tax in Texas has spoiled us

I know it's a bit risky for a fresh out of college student to make a big move like this in this economy, but since we have no roots established here in Austin (we aren't from here originally) I think it is worth a shot. Anything you can tell me on employment opportunities in our respective fields, cost of living, taxes, etc would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 04:23 PM

86 posts, read 233,085 times
From what I understand, the employment situation in Boise is pretty difficult, and I would doubt that Billings is much different. You decision to maintain your income flow while job hunting is a very wise one.

I'm in Southern California and have lived in the Boise Valley and Billings. The one drastic difference that you did not mention is the weather. Billings is a nice town but it can get cold... 40 degrees below, cold. That kind of cold can wear on you.

We are planning to move to the Boise area sometime after the first of the year. We have many friends in Billings, but would never move back because of the cold.

Good luck.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:50 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp8883 View Post

Billings is about half the size of Boise and my main concern would be finding employment in the finance/banking sector. We would likely have a smaller income in Billings from what I can tell, but housing and taxes seem to be cheaper in Billings than Boise so there is some trade offs. I was kinda surprised at Idaho taxes seeming a bit high. Perhaps the zero income tax in Texas has spoiled us
Boise is the banking center for the state with several banks downtown and throughout the area, both national and regional banks. I know there are two large banking loan centers in town, Wells Fargo and Key Bank, Wells Fargo usually has job openings in the Boise area.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,804 times
Default Boise Housing Market vs. Billings

Hello,
The Boise housing market is more affordable than ever . . . prices have dropped by 50% + over the last couple of years. There have been a ton of foreclosures. About 1/3 of the new listings every day are Bank owned properties. You can find quality homes for well under 100/ft. The climate is much better in Boise unless you really like winter. The job markets are similar, but there will be more quality jobs available in Boise over time. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area