Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:40 AM

68 posts, read 170,186 times

Advertisements

In AZ we live in a older development, we go from house to house (if the light is on) & the kids Trick or Treat for about an hour...maybe there's a school dance where you can wear your costume, maybe there's a Halloween party at Karate School.

My daughter has a pal who moved from Boise to AZ. This was her first yr dressing up (she's in middle school) as her family is Mormon.

Because of the high Mormon population is the holiday even celebrated by many area children? Being new, we would have no clue which neighborhoods were Halloween friendly. And yes, this may seem silly but my 12 yr old actually asked me to research this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 12:04 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmaz View Post
In AZ we live in a older development, we go from house to house (if the light is on) & the kids Trick or Treat for about an hour...maybe there's a school dance where you can wear your costume, maybe there's a Halloween party at Karate School.

My daughter has a pal who moved from Boise to AZ. This was her first yr dressing up (she's in middle school) as her family is Mormon.

Because of the high Mormon population is the holiday even celebrated by many area children? Being new, we would have no clue which neighborhoods were Halloween friendly. And yes, this may seem silly but my 12 yr old actually asked me to research this!
Harrison Ave. in the Northend is where it's at for Trick or Treat and families. It's a historic street with huge old homes and many of the residents go all out in their decorations and theme. There were thousands of people roaming up and down Harrison when I was out last night.

I think Mormon's celebrate Halloween but not 100%. The Mormon population in Boise is much lower than other parts of the valley, but that's probably a topic for another thread.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:42 PM

There's a town in AZ named Prescott - it's very pretty & quaint & not as hot. Anyway, they have a street much like that there, the police even barricade it off from traffic. I was just telling my husband (we were up for a festival)I wish we had a street like that!
Turns out Boise does! This is very good to know, thank you!!

As for Halloween & the Mormon populace - this struck fear in my daughter, which I wonder how much longer she'll be Trick or Treating anyway. She only knows one Boisean who happens to be Mormon - she put 2 & 2 together & was sure her candy addiction was doomed.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:00 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Growing up, almost all of my friends and neighbors were Mormon (I'm not). They all trick or treated. Many of the parents went all out decorating the house, or dressing up to answer the door.

The subdivision I lived in as a teenager was mostly Mormon, and we had so many trick or treaters in the subdivision that we would run out of candy (between 10 and 12 of the BIG bags) by around 7:00 PM.

I don't know any Mormons who don't do Halloween.

*Edit* I forgot to say I went to college at Utah State, which is VERY Mormon (like 90%), and they had Halloween parties, dances, etc. I know a LOT of Mormons, and they all did Halloween.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
*Edit* I forgot to say I went to college at Utah State, which is VERY Mormon (like 90%), and they had Halloween parties, dances, etc. I know a LOT of Mormons, and they all did Halloween.
Thank you! Remember, I'm going soley on a 12 yr old girls paranoia here & what her Boise pal told her.
I was a good friends with a girl who was Mormon, I remember she was creative things for Halloween, like a basket of laundry. But she was the only one in the neighborhood!

Old 11-01-2010, 07:36 PM

21 posts, read 55,962 times
We moved to Star from No. CA in August, and were also used to having many neighbors, we now have only about a dozen within walking distance. My 12 yr old was also worried, but went with friends to a church that did Trunk or Treat. They had people who decorated their cars and passed out candy from the trunks of the cars. She had a blast, and collected quite a lot of candy.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:21 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
I live in probably the most Mormon neighborhood in Boise and while Mormons celebrate Halloween, they don't seem to celebrate it on Sunday. Our neighborhood was a ghost town on Sunday night. At one point I looked up and down one of the main streets in our subdivision and the only people on that street were me, my son and his friend. Our family only gave out half a bag of candy the whole night and we were encouraging kids to take 2-3 pieces at a time. What really struck me is that I would go down a side street and every house would be dark except for one. Not your typical Halloween night when our subdivision is teeming with kids.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:36 AM

805 posts, read 2,000,172 times
spending my younger years in Phoenix/Glendale/Scottsdale for halloween, this was my first up here in Boise.
My wife and I took our 2yr old boy, and another couple we hang out with brought their kid as well. Honestly, it reminded me just like the good ol days!!!
It was a blast, walking down the street we probably passed 20-30 kids on a given street, all kinds of costumes and the majority of them were very considerate and respectful!

No worries for ya to have on halloween up here !!!

Old 11-03-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
It was a blast, walking down the street we probably passed 20-30 kids on a given street, all kinds of costumes and the majority of them were very considerate and respectful!
Awesome!!! It's especially good to hear your side b/c we're from the same area - I appreciate that! Sounds better than here even, I got pushed over by a 10 yr old! Rude kid.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:52 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I live in probably the most Mormon neighborhood in Boise and while Mormons celebrate Halloween, they don't seem to celebrate it on Sunday. Our neighborhood was a ghost town on Sunday night. At one point I looked up and down one of the main streets in our subdivision and the only people on that street were me, my son and his friend. Our family only gave out half a bag of candy the whole night and we were encouraging kids to take 2-3 pieces at a time. What really struck me is that I would go down a side street and every house would be dark except for one. Not your typical Halloween night when our subdivision is teeming with kids.
From what I heard, when Hallowe'en falls on Sunday most of them celebrate on Saturday with Trunk or Treat at the ward house.

I haven't seen any trick or treaters on my street on the Depot Bench area in the decade I've lived here. No mormons on my block either. I see tons of kids walk by on their way to school every morning so I know there are plenty in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: