Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 07:06 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,601,799 times

Advertisements

Hello, after Thanksgiving I will be going to Boise on business. I was just wondering what there is to do in the Downtown area. Is downtown Boise active? Is it a nice area? Is there good shopping in Boise? I would like to get my wife something while I am in Idaho because I figured how many times can I say that I will go there. Are there good state parks nearby? How is traffic?

Sorry if the questions are random, but I will spend almost an entire week in Boise, and would like to see the city and surrounding area. So any tips on what to do and see would be great. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 11:30 AM

Ok, wow, really looking forward to Boise now. Maybe should have asked for the Portland branch instead.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:38 PM

805 posts, read 1,991,496 times
Downtown is fairly vibrant, not like your bigger cities but i was pleasently surprised when i first relocated. Plenty of nice local shops and eaterys, people walking about etc. Traffic is really not bad at all, there are a ton of parks within 5 miles of downtown.

I'm sorry i couldn't be of advice on what to do, i haven't been here toooo long and as of late have a crazy work schedule so haven't had much free time. The mountain may be open for some skiing when you get here. Its about a 30 minute drive to the top from downtown...the mountain is literally right there, but its a 16 mile drive to the ski resort.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:35 PM

879 posts, read 2,847,458 times
If you're from Dayton, as you're info says you can expect a somewhat similar experience. I can only assume since Boise and Dayton have a similar population.

Downtown Boise is great with numerous restaurants, some shops, and enough bars/clubs. It is very clean and very safe. Weekend nights are pretty vibrant in my opinion (I live in LA/grew up in Boise/visit often), because of BSU it is a younger scene. I've only gone out in the summer, but my friends tell me weather doesn't change the crowd too much.

I assume you will have a car, you'll definitely need one to get out and about. There is a large mall on the west side of the city...just your standard mall. I think most state parks are closed in winter? Could be wrong. Bogus Basin Ski Resort is only 45 mins N of the city, be cautious on the drive though. Even if you don't ski, you can enjoy the mountain scene and views of the city/valley if it is clear.

Traffic usually isn't an issue except at rush hour but be advised in winter conditions Boiseans are not the expert winter drivers you'd expect, especially since many transplants are from warm-weather places.

Boise Convention & Visitors Bureau :: meetings, sporting events, tourism information has a calendar of events and other tips.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:55 AM

8 posts, read 41,867 times
Ok, I have been here my whole life... Downtown, Lets see. Boise in its self is very boring. We have alot of snow. There are Bars, resturants, little nothing stores. Thats about it. Oh yea! 2 movie theaters! I am trying to leave. It is horrible here. You should have choose Portland! We DO haev bad drivers. Watch that. ** BOI2SOCAL ** Another Californian! They have raided Boise and trying to make it their own! As for the mall. All of the young teen girls will just be walking around inside of it. We dont have cool or unique stores in our mall. Sorry!

Old 12-01-2010, 02:18 PM

879 posts, read 2,847,458 times
^^^Why would you care if Californians are trying to make it their own if you hate what it is already? lol

Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 PM

805 posts, read 1,991,496 times
Surfgrl sounds like she too is from cali with the whole "surf" screen name....
Stop spamming! We have more than 2 theatres, the mall has more familys than young kids, we DONT get a lot of snow...Yes portland would have been a pretty sweet choice for the OP but you are being dramatic.

Oh and many California transplants are GREAT people

Old 12-05-2010, 09:03 PM

Thanks everyone for the info.

About the traffic compared to Dayton. Boise is nothing. Dayton's traffic is not fun, Boise at least moves lol.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:55 PM

114 posts, read 287,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
Surfgrl sounds like she too is from cali with the whole "surf" screen name....
Stop spamming! We have more than 2 theatres, the mall has more familys than young kids, we DONT get a lot of snow...Yes portland would have been a pretty sweet choice for the OP but you are being dramatic.

Oh and many California transplants are GREAT people
I bet as soon as she turns 18 she will beg her parents for bus fare to Huntington Beach where she will live happily ever after....Thank God!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: