Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 11:08 AM

318 posts, read 1,313,921 times

Advertisements

Okay I have to ask what do the letters NIMBY stand for? I've never heard the word until this site.

Izzy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 11:14 AM

63 posts, read 361,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
Okay I have to ask what do the letters NIMBY stand for? I've never heard the word until this site.

Izzy
Not In My Back Yard. It is a term generally used to classify people against growth and progress and people with negative attitudes about where they live.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:19 PM

68,281 posts, read 54,065,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineboy View Post
Not In My Back Yard. It is a term generally used to classify people against growth and progress and people with negative attitudes about where they live.

It also applies to those who would say "we NEED growth to add tax ratables to keep MY taxes in check but NIMBY". In other words: The old we want to have our cake and want to eat it too routine.

Last edited by burdell; 09-22-2006 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: Corrections

Old 09-22-2006, 02:20 PM

Thanks. Clever. It certainly fits some folks attitudes.

Izzy

Old 10-16-2006, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 6,012 times
I just found this web site, and after reading some of the comments from Idahoians, I'm not sure what to think. I live in California and was thinking about relocating to Boise. I have 2 family members that just moved there and they said its great. I'm not sure if there just saying that so more family will move near them. I honestly don't know why the homes are so inexpensive. To me a huge home for 350,000 sounds like a steal, and I don't make that much. Also, are people racists there? I heard its all white. Also, what is the major religion people follow there? Thanks

Old 10-16-2006, 07:19 PM

5,323 posts, read 18,210,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbnative View Post
I just found this web site, and after reading some of the comments from Idahoians, I'm not sure what to think. I live in California and was thinking about relocating to Boise. I have 2 family members that just moved there and they said its great. I'm not sure if there just saying that so more family will move near them. I honestly don't know why the homes are so inexpensive. To me a huge home for 350,000 sounds like a steal, and I don't make that much. Also, are people racists there? I heard its all white. Also, what is the major religion people follow there? Thanks
Not all Idahoans are that bad

Sad fact that there are racial issues anywhere you go. Personally I haven't seen anything huge here in SE Idaho.

Yes, it is mostly white here, but there are other ethenicities as well.

Before you were to decide on moving to Idaho or anywhere I'd suggest a visit during the inclimate weather to see what you think.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:17 AM

Well if this site is anything to go by...you will get a mix of folks. I'm still in CA but I've already made a couple of friends on this site in Idaho. I think it has to do with your attitude coming into Idaho. But...I'm not in Idaho...so I could be wrong.

As far as the religion thing goes. I read on a site yesterday that Idaho is about 25% LDS...does that sound right to the rest of you in Idaho? But you will find lots of info...let me say that again...LOTS OF INFO...on religion on this site. Just go to the top of the page and in the blue bar choose search...type in religion. A lot of stuff will come up

The rest of the info has to come from the folks who actually live there.

Izzy

Old 10-17-2006, 10:39 AM

5,323 posts, read 18,210,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
Well if this site is anything to go by...you will get a mix of folks. I'm still in CA but I've already made a couple of friends on this site in Idaho. I think it has to do with your attitude coming into Idaho. But...I'm not in Idaho...so I could be wrong.

As far as the religion thing goes. I read on a site yesterday that Idaho is about 25% LDS...does that sound right to the rest of you in Idaho? But you will find lots of info...let me say that again...LOTS OF INFO...on religion on this site. Just go to the top of the page and in the blue bar choose search...type in religion. A lot of stuff will come up

The rest of the info has to come from the folks who actually live there.

Izzy
When it comes to a realistic percentage of LDS that live in Idaho that's a hard one to figure. I did a search online and the way it was broken down was not quite concrete. Meaning that an LDS could have classified themselves as one of the following: LDS, Christian or Protestant, when considering that Christian took up the majority which was 79% and I know quite a few LDS folks who classify themselves as Christian, so having said all that it leaves us in the dark as to who said they are which.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:41 AM

149 posts, read 1,095,189 times
25% sounds low to me, but could be right if you consider the whole population of Idaho, and only consider "active" members. I think if you grouped inactive + active LDS together, the number would be much higher.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:26 AM

534 posts, read 3,104,231 times
I spent ~ a month in the Boise area last year and Emmett was my choice due to it's rural/small town feel and less than 45 minutes to town (30 with no traffic).

Would have ended up living there but was outbid on three different properties. Gave up, came back to Western Washington and built new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area