U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 03:01 PM

73 posts, read 182,208 times

Advertisements

I am coming to Boise on Jan 9th for my new employment.

I have two children and am looking for parent insight on local schools. I am thinking more of moving to Meridian as I have Family friends there. I am looking at some of the magnet schools. But it depends on where we actually end up living.

I have a 6 year old that currently in her school is already doing double digit math and getting into multiplication. She has been able to read since Kindergarten and can read simple chapter books now. I also have a 5 yr old in kindergarten.

I looked on the Meridian school district website of what curriculum they are doing in 1st grade. Im thinking that she may be a lil ahead of what they are doing there or may be repeating some things. I am looking also at the charter schools.

So I'd like to know about your childs school. please let me know what school you are referring to if you have a child attending it or if you had one.

A.) what do you think of the schools in meridian and boise.

B.) How are the Class sizes

C.) How are the Teachers attitudes- ie: talking to kids or when you talk to them as a parent

D.)What school type are they in ie: public, charter or magnet.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 08:40 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,711,373 times
My opinion of the Meridian School District is that it is not great, but not bad either. They must not pay their teachers very well, because my child's elementary school has a bunch of first and second year teachers. So the teachers are young and earnest, but don't have much experience. Went to a class party for my son and the teacher seemed to have a hard time knowing how to control the class.

I have heard that North Star Charter School up in Eagle is good if you are looking for higher standards but the downside is that they are really tough on the kids.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post

I have heard that North Star Charter School up in Eagle is good if you are looking for higher standards but the downside is that they are really tough on the kids.

Define tough on the kids.

The school my daughters go to now is a college prep school. Everything is based on going to college. Which some where like 98-99% graduating classes got into college.

They have the Set of rules and if they don't follow they get what is due. The kids know that.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:03 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,711,373 times
North Star may be what you are looking for, don't know much other than what some friends said about it. Definately a college prep school and tough to get into because it is a charter school and you have to get drawn in a lottery. You might want to check out their website.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:00 AM

424 posts, read 1,319,092 times
If you are looking at public schools that will offer you the most for your child (in terms of education) you should really look at homes in east boise (particularly the 83712 zip code) as the schools in that area have consistently been rated the highest (ie Adams Elementary, North or East Junior High and Boise High School), they tend to offer a larger number of AP courses. It would be a commute to Meridian (about 30-40 minutes) but as long as you aren't going east bound on the interstate between 7-9AM and Westbound between 5-7PM you should be fine. If you are dead set on Meridian then you might want to look at Compass Charter School, they rank pretty high, although enrolling in Charter Schools isn't nearly as easy as getting into a public school.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
If you are looking at public schools that will offer you the most for your child (in terms of education) you should really look at homes in east boise (particularly the 83712 zip code) as the schools in that area have consistently been rated the highest (ie Adams Elementary, North or East Junior High and Boise High School), they tend to offer a larger number of AP courses. It would be a commute to Meridian (about 30-40 minutes) but as long as you aren't going east bound on the interstate between 7-9AM and Westbound between 5-7PM you should be fine. If you are dead set on Meridian then you might want to look at Compass Charter School, they rank pretty high, although enrolling in Charter Schools isn't nearly as easy as getting into a public school.

Thank you.

My work is in Meridian, so i was liking the no commute to work thing, ride a bike in the late spring/summer possibility.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:15 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,091,398 times
Meridian Schools...hands down. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area