Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:39 PM

11 posts, read 18,447 times

Advertisements

I have been lived in SW Boise for about 4 years and is contemplating of buying a rental SFH in the Bench area. The location is in an area that's East of Vista, South of Targee, North of W. Victory Road, and West of S. Federal way. My questions for the Boise Natives who lived here way longer than myself. The sub is called Donna Sub I guess.

1. Is that area easy to rent a large home to? Who would be the audience?
2. Is that neighborhood safe for young kids (like 10 or younger)?
3. How is Hawthorne and Owynee elementary schools in terms of academic excellence and test rankings state / nationwide?

Thanks for all your help. Trying to close on the house very soon. So any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 01:41 PM

129 posts, read 371,527 times
Did you have the property inspected first.....?

Old 01-17-2011, 01:46 PM

It's going to be inspected very soon. I am going to assume there is nothing wrong. The house is 1978.

Also, to the forum, what is the caliber of people living in that area. Is it mostly blue collar hard working folks or the meth head type. Just didn't seem like a white collar area there though.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:33 PM

674 posts, read 1,458,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyinghouse View Post
I have been lived in SW Boise for about 4 years and is contemplating of buying a rental SFH in the Bench area. The location is in an area that's East of Vista, South of Targee, North of W. Victory Road, and West of S. Federal way. My questions for the Boise Natives who lived here way longer than myself. The sub is called Donna Sub I guess.

1. Is that area easy to rent a large home to? Who would be the audience?
2. Is that neighborhood safe for young kids (like 10 or younger)?
3. How is Hawthorne and Owynee elementary schools in terms of academic excellence and test rankings state / nationwide?

Thanks for all your help. Trying to close on the house very soon. So any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks.
I had friends rent a lot in that area, and I would say it really varies according to particular neighborhoods. But where he was (Canal/Annette area) is pretty... not very well kept up for the quality of neighborhood it can be.

I'd say a strong mix of college kids living 3 or 4 to a house, lower income families, and older people who just haven't left.

I think it's less desirable than a lot of areas closer to downtown or the NE, SE Boise, etc., but probably a little better than W of Vista. Rents were pretty low when my friends rented there.

Neighborhood is pretty safe. Vista and Overland aren't the best roads in Boise, and seem somewhat distressed, but I think it's as safe or safer than anywhere else.

Don't know anything about the schools.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:16 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,610 times
HP1167 gives an accurate portrait of the area. I'd add that Owyhee is a sought-after charter school that has many students from outside the immediate area. Hawthorne has an excellent staff and some of the best test scores for the low-income population in the city (when compared to other lower income schools).

Old 01-17-2011, 04:12 PM

wow, thank you very much. That's what I was suspecting but I haven't been in that area long enough to know. Speaking of schools, is it like a lottery to get in Owyhee or can most people wanting to go there (provided they give personal transportation) get in? All I know is that place seems to be very close to BSU, Micron and downtown. Middle of everything.

Thanks again for the responses.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:09 PM

73 posts, read 194,121 times
All charter schools are lottery based. It's required by law.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:35 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djallude View Post
All charter schools are lottery based. It's required by law.
Really? I've never heard that. As far as I know, if there's space in the classrooms, anyone can enroll at Owyhee. I don't think they've had a waiting list--I know several people whose kids have gone there. You might want to call the school and ask? The only charter school in Boise that I know of that has done a lottery is Anser.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchfan View Post
Really? I've never heard that. As far as I know, if there's space in the classrooms, anyone can enroll at Owyhee. I don't think they've had a waiting list--I know several people whose kids have gone there. You might want to call the school and ask? The only charter school in Boise that I know of that has done a lottery is Anser.
My wife and I have been looking at all the charter schools in the area. If there isn't a waiting list and there is room (under enrolled) then maybe no lottery. But being how charter schools are, I've never really seen one under enrolled.

My kids go to one now in CA and they were the first to go when it opened. They didnt do a lottery then, but the next year there was a lottery.

We looked at 4 in Boise, 3 in Meridian and even Nampa has a really good Arts/Music Charter school.

All of them are on Lottery and have to be signed up by like mid Feb. I gotta check again. We first need to find our place to live, then the schools come next.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:20 AM

For your Reference

Charter School in Boise | Idaho Charter School | Public Charter School| Rolling Hills Public Charter School Rolling Hills

www.ansercharterschool.org

Garden City Community School - Idaho charter school; Idaho public school

Idaho State Department of Education - Charter School Support Program Grant Select Region 3 and it has a full List.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area