Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 12:47 PM

18 posts, read 84,316 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what the difference in weather is between Boise and Bend. Per the stats, Boise gets colder in the winter and hotter in the summer. What about wind? Looks like Boise might get a little more sunshine, but does Bend get enough sunshine in the winter to not feel sun-deprived?

I live in the Willamette Valley and am finally tired of all the rain and grey skies. I know both Boise and Bend get colder than the valley, but is dry-cold better than damp/wet cold? I wonder if the drier air compensates somewhat for the colder temps. If you dress warm enough, is it comfortable to walk outside?

I enjoy biking/walking/hiking. I'm not into snow sports and I don't really like hot weather so I don't know if either Boise or Bend is a good choice. Parts of CA would be better weather-wise, but I'm not too enthused about moving there.

I'm fine with the temps here in the valley, just tired of all the rain. Anyone know of a location other than CA that gets moderate temps without all the rain?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 04:09 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,473,476 times
Dry cold is better than wet cold, 25 degrees in Boise is windbreaker weather while 25 degrees in Chicago is brutal. If you want moderate winters with sunshine check out Prescott Arizona, Albuquerque NM, Silver City, NM, St. George UT. Only downside is that they all tend to get really windy in the spring.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:21 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,843 times
I don't know about the others but doesn't St. George get uber hot in the summer?

Old 01-22-2011, 10:50 AM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,707 times
[quote=sunsueb;17516868] I know both Boise and Bend get colder than the valley, but is dry-cold better than damp/wet cold?

Boise is mostly a damp/cold. I lived in Sun Valley/Ketchum area back a few years ago. There we went from a damp to a very dry/cold. Lotion, lip balm, and static electricity dry.
The spring days were dry, sunny, not too cold, and almost no wind. People would be out in shorts, on sun decks working on a tan, but in Boise or Twin, it was damp, windy/chilly, and you had to wear a jacket still. Go figure.

Last edited by jwest09; 01-22-2011 at 11:02 AM..

Old 01-22-2011, 01:50 PM

18 posts, read 84,316 times
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I've been to Sun Valley and it must have been the dry cold because it was fine—it was so sunny and it wasn't windy. I was hoping Boise would be similar, but it doesn't sound like it.

Do you know if Bend is the dry/cold or damp/cold?

Old 01-22-2011, 02:55 PM

863 posts, read 2,992,399 times
[quote=jwest09;17529124]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsueb View Post
I know both Boise and Bend get colder than the valley, but is dry-cold better than damp/wet cold?

Boise is mostly a damp/cold. I lived in Sun Valley/Ketchum area back a few years ago. There we went from a damp to a very dry/cold. Lotion, lip balm, and static electricity dry.
The spring days were dry, sunny, not too cold, and almost no wind. People would be out in shorts, on sun decks working on a tan, but in Boise or Twin, it was damp, windy/chilly, and you had to wear a jacket still. Go figure.

"Boise is mostly damp/cold", I guess it's relative. Boise is significantly more arid than Western Wa or California that have way higher annual rates of higher humidity. Boise DOES get more humid when the clouds roll in. That can happen at any time of year, but they do roll out quite soon as well and the humidity can drip to near zero.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:29 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsueb View Post
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I've been to Sun Valley and it must have been the dry cold because it was fine—it was so sunny and it wasn't windy. I was hoping Boise would be similar, but it doesn't sound like it.

Do you know if Bend is the dry/cold or damp/cold?
Bend and Boise have a pretty similar climate, with a slight edge going to Bend, IMO. Bend gets a little more sun and has a little milder summers. Boise can be pretty brown and ugly in the winter while Bend has Bachelor and the Sisters that provide better scenery and more winter activities.

They're both high deserts and I wouldn't consider either to have hard winters or a "wet" cold, although people in Boise are a little softer when it comes to tough weather, so you may hear otherwise. I guess it depends on your frame of reference.

Last edited by truckingbronco; 01-22-2011 at 04:37 PM..

Old 01-22-2011, 04:52 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,002 times
I've lived in Sun Valley too, both the Wood River Valley and Treasure Valley have similar dry air, Boise can have a more moist feel if you are near the river or ponds, and the same for Ketchum if you are near the river there, but overall Boise has dry air.

The Boise Mountains above the city are pretty in winter with the snow on top highlighting the forests, the Bogus Basin area is really scenic from the valley and the views of the mountains from the Eagle area are outstanding. Some areas of the lower foothills take on a slightly green tint during the cold months. The winter activities at Bogus Basin and the Boise Mountains right outside of the city are endless, the Boise National Forest which begins close to city limits up the mountains or up Highway 21 is one of the largest in the nation, so alpine, evergreen scenery is really close with cross county skiing, snow shoeing, hot springing, tubing, this is a great city to live in and enjoy getting out in the winter. The winter also brings the bald eagles who nest along the Boise River right in the city.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:37 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,707 times
[quote=zoso1979;17531867]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post

"Boise is mostly damp/cold", I guess it's relative. Boise is significantly more arid than Western Wa or California that have way higher annual rates of higher humidity. Boise DOES get more humid when the clouds roll in. That can happen at any time of year, but they do roll out quite soon as well and the humidity can drip to near zero.

Acording to the National Climatic Data Center's database there has never been a day with Zero Humidity in the U.S or it's territories The lowest recorded Humidity level recorded in the U.S. was 3 % on 4-27-2008 in Phoenix,AZ

Today, Sun Valley was 20% dryer than Boise.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:18 AM

863 posts, read 2,992,399 times
[quote=zoso1979;17531867]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post

OK, I KNEW I should have checked the stats .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area