Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:49 AM

879 posts, read 2,852,983 times

Advertisements

Real numbers from BLS...In Nov 2010 Boise-Nampa MSA's unemployment rate was 9.9% while SLC's was 7.1% (7.2% in Ogden, 6.9% in Provo). Boise's unemployment rate is higher than that of Spokane, Phoenix, Seattle, Albuquerque, Tucson, and Denver. Slightly lower than Portland, San Diego and San Francisco while much lower than LA, Reno and Las Vegas. Boise ranked 253rd out of 372 metros for the lowest unemployment. Who knows about underemployment which I suspect even out of recession is a big problem in Boise. As noted in other posts this is often by choice.

With that said it sounds like things may be improving a bit based on local news as new stores come in and some local companies expand. And on a personal level my step-dad knows a couple of guys from Micron who haven't been able to get a job in Boise for the last two years and they both found decent jobs in the last few weeks in Boise. I can't tell you about pay but the position themselves are comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 02:57 AM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,480,838 times
Home values are predicted to fall in Boise:

the-best-and-worst-cities-for-home-values-in-2011: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Old 02-01-2011, 07:39 AM

3,819 posts, read 9,438,571 times
Even in a bad economy, there are more opportunities in a larger city to find a job in your field. Used to specialize in selling industrial labels for bar code printers, clean room labels and labels for manufacturers. Here in Boise there are only 1-2 companies that sell this product, but not enough to hire an additional sales person. Plus you would have to travel through half of the state to drum up enough business. In Phoenix, there are dozens of companies that sell industrial labels and I was able to find enough clients in one zip code to have a nice little business for myself.

Think underemployment is big in Boise as well. When I got let go I never filed for unemployment, so I never showed up in the unemployment numbers. Took six months to find a fulltime job, but I am making a lot less money than I was or could be making in Phoenix, SLC or Denver.

Boise is similar to Tucson, the joke there was "half your pay was in sunshine", guess in Boise the joke needs to be that "half your pay is up in the mountains or in the rivers". For all of the amenities in Boise I am willing to be underpaid to live here.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:48 PM

674 posts, read 1,455,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
For all of the amenities in Boise I am willing to be underpaid to live here.
This should be the city motto!

Old 02-01-2011, 10:51 PM

222 posts, read 860,914 times
During the mid-90s Hewlett-Packard closed the Disc Memory Division in Boise, and offered
to transfer employees to other HP locations in WA and OR. However, most elected to find
other jobs in the area as they didn't want to leave Boise. Some of those who accepted
employment at HP plants in WA and OR came back to ID after they got homesick.

Boise has a population of 205,707 while the entire Gem State is at 1,545,801 people. Boise
has been referred to as being the largest small town in the USA. This is not a big city by
any stretch of the imagination compared to Denver and Salt Lake City. Idaho, once you
leave the Boise MSA, is very isolated and lightly populated.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:24 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,636,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbler View Post
During the mid-90s Hewlett-Packard closed the Disc Memory Division in Boise, and offered
to transfer employees to other HP locations in WA and OR. However, most elected to find
other jobs in the area as they didn't want to leave Boise. Some of those who accepted

Boise has a population of 205,707 while the entire Gem State is at 1,545,801 people. Boise
has been referred to as being the largest small town in the USA. This is not a big city by
any stretch of the imagination compared to Denver and Salt Lake City. Idaho, once you
Boise's MSA is well over 600,000 as of 2009. The 2010 cencus will give us an accurate figure. However, this will exceed Spokane, making Boise the 3rd largest metro area in the 3-state NW region. Idaho should also show growth in the Twin/IF/Poky area as well.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:19 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,698,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbler View Post

Does Reno know about this?

Old 02-16-2011, 06:58 AM

222 posts, read 860,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Does Reno know about this?
Reno is the Biggest Little City In The World.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:41 PM

954 posts, read 1,545,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
What does up and coming even mean?

If it means another wave of speculators, greedy investors, equity rich parasites, and endless development you can have it.
So you're saying Real/Estate speculation from outside interests/people moving to Boise bid up the cost of residential housing (single-family) OR "endless development" of single-family dominated developments put so many new houses on the Boise market that equities of existing residences were diluted ?

Old 02-21-2011, 03:34 PM

3,819 posts, read 9,438,571 times
I'd say a little of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: