Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 12:24 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,216 times

Advertisements

Im struggling to decide whether to stay here or not. Houses are about the same price...but Im not sure I like the style of homes here...I know there is some beautiful nature, but I really miss the Desert southwest look. The winters are long (but not severe), Vs the long severe summers. The wages are a little lower, but my wife cant seem to get many hours here. The sales tax is lower here in Id, but I think they tax food, which for me means I pay more. No sales tax on food in AZ I really struggled in the driving conditions this Nov and December, as my work is over 30 miles away. I love my job, but I guess I have that same opportunity in AZ with the same company. I love the bike paths here, as Phoenix bike paths are along ugly canals. I miss the palm trees and cacti...I miss prescott as a get away from the summer heat. No place here to get away from the cold that close by. I just feel so isolated here. Also...cant get a good burger here...tried Five guys, Smash burger, all the regular places.

Don't think the school my son is going to is as good. Supposed to be one of the best in this Treasure Valley, but, I think his school in Gilbert was much better.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 12:43 PM

150 posts, read 580,502 times
As for the burger places you need to not go to the chains, of course they are like anywhere else. The best burgers in Boise are the vintage driver thru's like Fancy Freeze,Hawkins Pac Out and Big Bun are my 3 favorites.

If AZ is where your heart is then go back, but try one of those burger places first!

Old 01-30-2011, 01:52 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,638,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Im struggling to decide whether to stay here or not. Houses are about the same price...but Im not sure I like the style of homes here...I know there is some beautiful nature, but I really miss the Desert southwest look. The winters are long (but not severe), Vs the long severe summers. The wages are a little lower, but my wife cant seem to get many hours here. The sales tax is lower here in Id, but I think they tax food, which for me means I pay more. No sales tax on food in AZ I really struggled in the driving conditions this Nov and December, as my work is over 30 miles away. I love my job, but I guess I have that same opportunity in AZ with the same company. I love the bike paths here, as Phoenix bike paths are along ugly canals. I miss the palm trees and cacti...I miss prescott as a get away from the summer heat. No place here to get away from the cold that close by. I just feel so isolated here. Also...cant get a good burger here...tried Five guys, Smash burger, all the regular places.

Don't think the school my son is going to is as good. Supposed to be one of the best in this Treasure Valley, but, I think his school in Gilbert was much better.

Any thoughts?
I plan on being a Snowbird when I retire. Summers in Idaho, winters in AZ.
The best of both worlds.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
I plan on being a Snowbird when I retire. Summers in Idaho, winters in AZ.
The best of both worlds.
don't need to travel that far...just do flaggstaff or Prescott in the summer, and winter in Phoenix.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:14 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times
People often assume because Idaho is a red state taxes will be low. If it weren't for federal dollars coming into the state they'd be higher. People complain about California taxes but my federal tax dollars paid on my California income goes to other states such as Idaho. Plus most of the states that get a ton of federal money...guess what? Red states!

Old 01-30-2011, 05:16 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
Our family is in the same boat. Looking ahead for college choices for our kids in 5 years and in Phoenix we had 3 community colleges within 20 minutes of our house, ASU West within 10 minutes, U of A & NAU within 2.5 hours. On top of that more trade schools than you could imagine, DeVry, AIP, MMI, ATI and many more just minutes from our house. Really like Boise, but we think the educational choices are much better in Phoenix.

Southwest sells round trip tickets to Boise for $175 and it's only two hours by plane. May move back but keep Boise as a great place to get away for a long weekend.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:33 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbercutes824 View Post
As for the burger places you need to not go to the chains, of course they are like anywhere else. The best burgers in Boise are the vintage driver thru's like Fancy Freeze,Hawkins Pac Out and Big Bun are my 3 favorites.

If AZ is where your heart is then go back, but try one of those burger places first!
Chains suck big time, overrated. Boise Fry Company on Broadway downtown makes some of the best burgers in town, quality meat, they use fresh local beef and free range bison. For the absolute best you need to hit one of the pubs downtown including Red Feather Lounge to eat a burger made from fresh locally grown beef, that is a burger. Chains don't come close to the local guys. Westside is good too.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:46 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,638,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Our family is in the same boat. Looking ahead for college choices for our kids in 5 years and in Phoenix we had 3 community colleges within 20 minutes of our house, ASU West within 10 minutes, U of A & NAU within 2.5 hours. On top of that more trade schools than you could imagine, DeVry, AIP, MMI, ATI and many more just minutes from our house. Really like Boise, but we think the educational choices are much better in Phoenix.

Southwest sells round trip tickets to Boise for $175 and it's only two hours by plane. May move back but keep Boise as a great place to get away for a long weekend.
I lived in Mesa for 20 years before moving to Boise.
The things that would worry me about moving back to the Valley of the Sun, would be: Is there going to be enough water in the future with lake Mead going lower and lower? How high is the cost going to go up on electricity
rates? Idaho Power uses less expensive hydro. generated power, but SRP and APS has to burn more expensive fuel.
Its nice having a lawn in Boise for the kids to play on, and cheap irrigation water. In AZ. the same size lawn would cost a arm and a leg to water it. In Boise you see nice green grass, in Phoenix you see rock.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:27 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
Jwest09 - Agree with you on the whole electricity and water thing. My house in Boise is twice the size of my house in Phoenix and my most expensive bill is still cheaper than my least expensive bill in Phoenix.

Just a couple of big things give us pause about being here. Miss being close to friends and family, better educational choices for our kids and an easier place to find work if you lose your job. So if my job is selling left handed widgets, there are multiple places to find work in Arizona. In Idaho the closest place to find work may be Salt Lake City or Seattle.

Really like Boise, but there are 3-4 big issues possibly drawing us back to Arizona.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:43 AM

Watching scenes of phoenix on Animal planet right now...Man its really making me homesick.

I tried as hard as I could to find love for Boise...maybe in spring I might find the love again, Im not sure. The job thing does worry me, if I were to buy a home here, and lose my job, we would be destroyed.

As far as burgers go, there are chains in other cities that have fantastic burgers, they just dont exist here. Freddys custard and steak burgers in Gilbert, Fatburger (yummy), IN&Out and a few others. I will try the bars as a few of you have suggested.

By now, a few reading this are just going to tell me "if I don't like it just go, I would ask you not to, as Im only looking to hear from those who have moved here and regret it. Just trying to see if anybody shares my regret. Guess Im looking for validation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area