U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 10:33 AM

8 posts, read 20,214 times

Advertisements

My wife and I live in Missouri, and have decided we want to live close enough to the mountains that we can easily go mountain hiking on a weekend. The drive to the Rockies from here is much too far. We also prefer to pay cash for our house, so we need something very affordable, below 100K.
What we looked for in a city:
1) proximity to mountains
2) affordable housing
3) enough jobs in the IT field to stand a chance
4) college/universities

After research, I found that Boise, Ogden & Colorado Springs fit these criteria. I have put Denver on the Maybe list. Maybe I'm missing some others. We're not interested in anything out east.

What are your opinions of how these three cities compare with each other, and/or do you suggest other cities that fit our needs?

Thanks very much in advance
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 08:21 AM

125 posts, read 316,962 times
Denver is not close to the mountains, it's 30-mile freeway drive.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:50 PM

9 posts, read 14,960 times
1. Boise has mountains within one hour drive and good biking/hiking areas.
2. Housing under 100k in boise is doable but you will be limited to 1000 to 1400 sq ft house. Going to 120k opens up the options a LOT. You may consider Idaho has low housing cost for a reason.
3. If you mean telecommute to work in IT field, yes boise is okay for that. If you mean jobs in IT, join the large pool of SELF employed talent that has moved here over the last 10 years. You too can run your own company and survive just like them!!!
4. Boise State is a great college. Has good engineering classes, believe engineering was in top 10 for nation couple of years ago. Limited high end college classes in other areas though. (beware, most idahoans will argue that idaho is the best and has best of everything and is growning by leaps and bounds)

Do your own homework and ask pointed, direct questions.
Some example questions: Of the high tech talent that has moved to idaho in the last 10-20years, how many have grown into a company employing 50 or more persons? 100 or more person?
How many of those persons who moved here 10-20years ago are still one person shows?
How many have went under and left the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area