Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2007, 03:50 PM

26 posts, read 99,254 times

Advertisements

Hi! I was wondering what the employment rate is......My husband is a realtor, was wondering how the occupation is doing. Are there alot of natural food stores? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 05:37 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,034 times
Go to this website:
Idaho Unemployment Rate Increases to 2.5 Percent > Idaho Commerce and Labor News > Press Releases for a current unemployment rate.

As far as real estate goes, the market is very soft right now- it's a buyers market like most places. Sales are down so unless he has a built in clientele he will probably struggle being new to the area.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:35 AM

110 posts, read 572,826 times
I am not a realtor but we are currently selling our house and I must say the market is definetely soft. My mother-in-law is a realtor in Oregon and she says the same thing is happening in OR.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:54 AM

434 posts, read 3,177,952 times
I'm in sales and it took me a little over 3 weeks to find a sales job when I was looking back in May. Your husband may want to get into a different line of sales and do real estate part time until the market picks up.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,885 times
We are new to Boise. We would like to know if the upper management field in the Boise area is closed. Does anyone know of a local website that really works well. We came here on vacation last year and love the people and area. The only problems we have had is that when people find out that we are from Ca. they get very rude. I understand the frustration. I lived in CA when it was like Boise and believe me, we didn't treat people like they had the plague.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:39 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,408 times
Google "Idaho Job Service"

Craigslist.com
BoiseIdahoJobs.com
IdahoStatesman jobs section
State of Idaho, Ada County, City of Boise, etc.

Area's good for upper management. Expect a pay cut, though.

I think the market sucks. I've been trying to help my brother, a recent college grad, get a job - there's not much out there that is beyond what a high school grad could get, but below middle management. It's tough. I think he has a stellar resume, but he deserves more than retail or serving.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:01 AM

9 posts, read 32,362 times
Anchorless, if I could ask, what do you consider a "stellar resume"? I ask because I plan on moving to Boise in about 6 years and I've been paranoid about getting the right work experience. Over the next 6 years I will have a finance undergrad from a decent univ. (4.0 finance GPA), the CFA designation, Fortune 10 work experience in excellent investment management roles, experience in Fortune 500 Corporate finance/treasury management, and a top 25 finance MBA, etc. I'm worried that I will not be able to find a senior financial analyst/financial manager role making $65-$85k. Seems like anywhere else, this experience/education would land a $100K+ management job.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:39 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,408 times
To be honest, I really don't know.

From my experience I'm not sure there are a lot of jobs that pay more than 100k. I think you'll be able to find high-end jobs in the range you're looking at, though.

Best thing to do is get a small list of firms/companies you're interested in Boise, and email their recruiters and ask how competitive, and how well compensated, these jobs are.

Good luck.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:41 PM

4 posts, read 32,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
Google "Idaho Job Service"

Craigslist.com
BoiseIdahoJobs.com
IdahoStatesman jobs section
State of Idaho, Ada County, City of Boise, etc.

Area's good for upper management. Expect a pay cut, though.

I think the market sucks. I've been trying to help my brother, a recent college grad, get a job - there's not much out there that is beyond what a high school grad could get, but below middle management. It's tough. I think he has a stellar resume, but he deserves more than retail or serving.
That is because he is right out of college and that doesn't stand for #$%^!!! Having a BS is the new HS diploma. If he wants to be successful he is going to have to start in the basement and work his way up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area