Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 12:32 PM

47 posts, read 107,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsNegro View Post
I was looking around my old neighborhood and I have a new appreciation for the houses painted sherbet green and filled with lawn gnomes. These HOA subs look like everybody moved in yesterday and they're all moving out tomorrow. No individuality at all. But I guess some people like that. The Cubans for example.
I agree. When I'm home shopping any sort of HOA will be an instant deal breaker, at any price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 06:11 PM

139 posts, read 384,601 times
It's all about what's most important to you. If you don't want HOA's then look to the older neighborhoods and there are some nice older neighborhoods out there with large lots, especially in S/W Boise. I used to live in a beautiful ranch style home (built in 1976) on a heavily wooded 1 acre lot with a 3 car garage and separate shop. Neighbors were a comfortable distance away and no HOA's!
If you want a new home, then get used to the fact that there will be a homeowner's association, plain and simple. Or build something yourself outside of a subdivision. These are your choices and the reality of the situation.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:12 AM

424 posts, read 1,379,209 times
HOA are a double-edged sword. They can make some positive contributions (ie making sure the neighbor doesn't allow his lawn to grow 3 feet high, stricter controls on pets or in the case of exclusive neighborhoods pay for community pool, tennis courts, etc.). However in most neighborhoods they are nothing more than a rip-off with ridiculous terms and limitations. I dodged the bullet when buying my home. My neighborhood sits up right next to a whole maze of subdivisions but it is on a cul-de-sac that is completely independent of the subdivision network. My neighborhood consists of a whopping 11 homes that were built in the mid-90s. So while they are not brand new they certainly aren't 40 year old homes. As such since the neighborhood is so small there is no HOA. So my recommendation is to try and find a small un-connected cul-de-sac in a newer developed area as you will be less likely to be part of the subdivision mess or HOA fees, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area