Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 10:46 AM

93 posts, read 271,140 times

Advertisements

I just moved here. I have a bit of buyer's remorse. Largely because of the economic conditions. I strongly considered Salt Lake as I drove North.
But passed on through Salt Lake and made it to Boise. Even though I'm
struggling with finding employment, I still justify my decision of Boise over
Salt Lake with the following thoughts: Boise has lots of trees. SLC has few.
Boise's growth is unlimited whereas SLC has mountains to its East, and the
Great Salt Lake to its East. Boise has rivers. SLC has nothing for rivers. Boise is part of the beautiful Pacific Northwest, SLC is not. I think once I find a job, Boise is a much better place to live for the reasons described. What are your thoughts. For the record, I am a truck driver;
not over-the-road, rather local freight delivery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 12:14 PM

125 posts, read 331,654 times
I too considered SLC; in fact my 1/2 brother lives there and urged me to join him. However, for the reasons you mentioned and with your same misgivings I'm back looking in Boise.
Also note, the Wasatch front in SLC is due for a massive earthquake, there is still a mormoon domination of politics there, and the houses are 50K more than in Boise. Three more reasons for you!

Old 03-26-2011, 07:33 PM

93 posts, read 271,140 times
I didn't know housing prices were higher in SLC. They are also pretty high in Boise..
I came here from Houston so I find the housing prices in boise to be too high for what you get.
I'm glad you can relate to my reasoning. I'm sure I would be working by now if I had choosen
Salt Lake. But then again, it's not nearly the gem that Boise is.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:19 AM

The new house listings in SLC are all the same; they highlight the spectacular feature "two-tone paint!" as if that's a precious selling point. If you look carefully, the standard for fittings & fixtures is strickly Home Depot there.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:25 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,049 times
They don't do the same in Boise? Har.

CBH and Hubble are model homes for the cheap Home Depot building materials. And that's 75% of the new construction here.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:49 PM

There are a few that are different though. I wouldn't buy a ticky-tacky box from the mass builders anyway.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,913 times
I used to work for a concrete company that did foundations for CBH and "Rubble" homes. I would never buy houses from either after seeing what they were allowed to do to the concrete. Here in a few years we'll have CBH and "Rubble" homes tipping over due to poor foundations. I feel bad for those who were suckered in to buying these homes.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:10 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by while parked View Post
I didn't know housing prices were higher in SLC. They are also pretty high in Boise..
I came here from Houston so I find the housing prices in boise to be too high for what you get.
I'm glad you can relate to my reasoning. I'm sure I would be working by now if I had choosen
Thats why people buy out in Nampa, Caldwell, thousands less, than Boise.
Boise is a gem if, you have employment.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:46 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by while parked View Post
Couple things: if you've done any serious research regarding RE, surely you've learned that "location" is the most important factor in determing RE prices ? So comparing the prices of homes in Boise, ID and SLC, UT and Houston, TX is like comparing apples and oranges and tangerines if you get my drift ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: