Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 09:15 AM

20 posts, read 49,646 times

Advertisements

My family and I are in the process of relocating to Boise. My company has an office by the airport and I'll just be relocating from Milwaukee.

We have friends that live in the East End and would like to stay close to them. We are looking for houses under or around 200K. Southeast Boise is where we are focusing our search. I really like Lucky Peak and the foothills so want to avoid the Western areas.

Are the LDS as prevalent in SE Boise as Meridian or other areas? We live across the street from an LDS family now in WI. They are very nice, but they have children our kids' age and they just don't seem to want to co-mingle. I was looking at a couple houses in Columbia Village and I see there is an LDS church right by Les Bois Jr high. Would our kids be the outcasts in Columbia Village or any other SE communities?

Any other concerns with SE Boise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 09:47 AM

133 posts, read 289,537 times
You should have no worries. SE Boise is the location of Micron, one of the biggest employers, and its workforce is very diversified. We would not have decent ethnic foods if not for their presence. There's also Bown Crossing, a very trendy place to gather. Timberline high school is highly rated according to Newsweek and has over 1000 students from many different backgrounds.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:08 PM

674 posts, read 1,458,588 times
Skip Columbia Village. Look for places off of Gekeler, Boise, Apple, and those areas.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:49 PM

Our friends out there have warned us that the newer homes built in the last 10 years or so are not of the greatest quality. We drove around the area you mention. My wife obviously likes the shiny new homes, but I'd prefer something that's going to hold it's value and not fall apart on us.

Would you avoid the newer subdivisions in SE Boise altogether or Columbia Village in particular?

Old 04-07-2011, 03:26 PM

424 posts, read 1,378,934 times
Avoid new homes. Build quality has gone down the tubes. Seen too many that are only a few years old that already have cracks in the exterior, flaking paint, etc. There are plenty of well build older homes in the Geckler, Park Center, Boise Avenue Area. You can get some great buys in Columbia Village as well given that the market there has been hurt a lot by Micron cutting jobs.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:13 AM

Thanks much for the info! Hopefully they'll build a Target in SE Boise soon. My wife practically lives there.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:32 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
There are plenty of well build older homes in the Geckler, Park Center, Boise Avenue Area.
Are you talking cottages, story and a halfs and 2-story homes instead of "ranch-style" homes ? What age are we talking and isn't any area like "Park Center" real pricey ?

Old 04-08-2011, 12:17 PM

Ideally I'd love to be in the East End up the hill a little ways. Our friends live up top the hill by Table Rock, but we can't afford it as of right now. I've been watching that neighborhood for almost a year now and haven't seen much go up for sale except the smaller homes closer to Warm Springs Ave. People must love the neighborhood

Old 04-08-2011, 08:10 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,010 times
Check out the area around Bergesen east of Boise Avenue--there are some great neighborhoods that are affordable in the Liberty Elementary area that are still affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: