Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 01:56 AM

879 posts, read 2,848,992 times

Advertisements

Granted I don't live in Boise anymore but I don't know of any place that offers Korean food. So I'm interested to know as well. As a side note, I think someday Boise will again be home to a large Asian population. Just give it time! haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 01:52 PM

222 posts, read 859,592 times
Default Trudy's Kitchen in Idaho City.

Our personal favorite restaurant is Trudy's Kitchen in Idaho City. We enjoy
the drive/ride there and back plus the food and service. There's absolutely
nothing high priced or pretentious about it. Great pies, too, and you can
take a walk around that old mining town breathing that fresh mountain air.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:30 PM

229 posts, read 704,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
Granted I don't live in Boise anymore but I don't know of any place that offers Korean food. So I'm interested to know as well. As a side note, I think someday Boise will again be home to a large Asian population. Just give it time! haha
Admittedly I'm pretty sure I know the answer to my own question anyway, but my attempt to goad Syringaloid into a response was unsuccessful.

The last place I remember Korean cuisine being served at was a restaurant in the strip mall on the southeastern corner of Fairview and Milwaukee. I remember that the signage didn't even mention it was Korean but something generic like Asian or Oriental, presumably to attract a bigger crowd.

If people here actually knew about Korean BBQ, I think it would go over well. It centers around two things big in Boise-- barbequed meat and a community aspect centering around cooking your own meat. If a place like Tucanos can thrive here, so can Korean BBQ. As is, you can kinda do your own with supplies from the two Korean markets. You can get the bulgogi and a limited amount of banchan/side dishes. You have Diana Market on Fairview and Five Mile in the K-Mart shopping center, and you have Manna Market (though the signage out front says Kim's Oriental Food & Gifts or something like that) on Ustick between Cole and Milwaukee, down the street a tad from Delsa's. I like mentioning that the owner of Manna has been hands-down the nicest proprietor I've had the pleasure of meeting in the city, going above and beyond his duty as a store owner to help me out. So I always support his store over Diana. It's a pleasant role-reversal from dealing with Korean restaurants in Koreatown in L.A., where I was continually met with scorn and substandard service for being a member of a dining party that would often have no Koreans or even Asians in it.

As an aside since I would never start up a thread about this: one tidbit I found interesting about the Korean scene here is that I was told by someone "in the know" that despite there being an Idaho Korean Association, it's not exactly a unified front. Lines have been drawn between the two primary Korean churches in town (Baptists vs. Presbyterians). If true, it's pretty sad that friction would come down to that, especially when there's not that many Koreans in the valley and you would think they would want to stick together. I don't want to ask the owner of Manna about it for fear of making him uncomfortable.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:11 PM

879 posts, read 2,848,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenfan View Post
It's a pleasant role-reversal from dealing with Korean restaurants in Koreatown in L.A., where I was continually met with scorn and substandard service for being a member of a dining party that would often have no Koreans or even Asians in it.

As an aside since I would never start up a thread about this: one tidbit I found interesting about the Korean scene here is that I was told by someone "in the know" that despite there being an Idaho Korean Association, it's not exactly a unified front. Lines have been drawn between the two primary Korean churches in town (Baptists vs. Presbyterians). If true, it's pretty sad that friction would come down to that, especially when there's not that many Koreans in the valley and you would think they would want to stick together. I don't want to ask the owner of Manna about it for fear of making him uncomfortable.
Unfortunately, I don't frequent Koreatown for that reason. I do love the Korean-Latin fusion food trucks though. haha

I didn't know that Boise even had a noticeable Korean population. Growing up there, the few Asians I met in the area were Taiwanese, Vietnamese and Laotian.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:55 PM

229 posts, read 704,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
Unfortunately, I don't frequent Koreatown for that reason. I do love the Korean-Latin fusion food trucks though. haha

I didn't know that Boise even had a noticeable Korean population. Growing up there, the few Asians I met in the area were Taiwanese, Vietnamese and Laotian.
I don't have any hard numbers, but just based on personal experience I think Vietnamese are far and away the largest Asian population here. I work with some Laotians as well. I remember reading somewhere that the estimate of Koreans in the valley is around 500, which is apparently large enough to sustain two Korean markets.

And as an aside: I think you're doing yourself a real disservice by not taking advantage of the restaurant scene in K-Town. This is the only time I put up with frequently horrible service because the food is often stellar. You won't get that kind of quality anywhere else in the country (L.A. has the largest amount of Korean Americans). I did manage to find a few places over time that treat you warmly though. Kogi is interesting from a creative standpoint, but if you want some authentic cuisine you need to head over there and dig in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area