Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:25 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
Its perspective, but compared to the majority of the country our weather is MUCH more calm than what others are dealing with...

oh yeah, can't forget the almost constant cloud cover in the winter until about early april
Once again, it's perspective. I think the we get a fair amount of sun during the winter and spring, but I'm from the PacNW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 08:07 PM

805 posts, read 2,001,233 times
I hope boisefan is right about the cold winter/fall this year!! I'm ready for some snow lol

Old 08-15-2010, 08:08 PM

805 posts, read 2,001,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Once again, it's perspective. I think the we get a fair amount of sun during the winter and spring, but I'm from the PacNW.
how many winters have you been here? This was my first one here...Was the amount of cloud cover about average or did it seem worse this winter than normal? i'm just trying to compare to the PNW...obviously i know its not nearly the same but you said it seems quite sunny here in winter as a comparison

Old 08-16-2010, 08:19 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
To throw an opposing view out there, I have to walk my dog every day and in the winter I prefer the overcast days. To me it feels warmer on the overcast days than it does on the sunny days. On sunny days it will feel warmer for a couple of hours in the afternoon, but the mornings and evenings will feel a lot cooler.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:32 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
how many winters have you been here? This was my first one here...Was the amount of cloud cover about average or did it seem worse this winter than normal? i'm just trying to compare to the PNW...obviously i know its not nearly the same but you said it seems quite sunny here in winter as a comparison
I've only been here a few winters, but from what I hear, this winter was a little longer/harsher than most. It did seem more dreary than the year before.

I think one of the huge differences is that it does get cloudy here quite a bit in the winter, but the sun still makes an appearence every few days. In the PacNW, you pretty much don't see the sun for six straight months.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:28 AM

674 posts, read 1,458,995 times
This winter was longer but it wasn't harsher, by any means. We had very few inversions this last year as well.

Ten, fifteen years ago it was harsh. Much more snow in the city and much colder temps. Now we get a few snow showers and then persistent 30* days.

It seems like the snow is coming earlier in the season and then fading out, too. It's weird to watch the weather here change.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:45 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Predictions are that this winter will be wetter, colder.

Read more: Salmon anglers and skiers both looking forward to "La Nina" | Voices.IdahoStatesman.com

Old 08-18-2010, 01:08 PM

341 posts, read 1,018,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
The summers are horrible here - I can't stand them because I can't stand temperatures over 85 degrees.
Where are you from, Alaska ?
I'm a native Missourian where they have real hot summer weather, unless you consider the Texas Gulf Coast where I've spend many years and learned what real heat and humidity are !
Horrible summers in Boise, that's hilarious ! OK, its gets pretty dang warm about 6 weeks or 2 months out of the year, but that's just warm, toasty late Spring weather in a place like Houston, TX.
Boise has an excellent 4-seasons climate with a tad of heat in the summer,
some cold but a dry-cold type winter, and delightful Springs and Falls.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:41 PM

28 posts, read 105,532 times
Usually in the Fall, it coincides with Bronco Football Kicking Arse!!!!!!!

Old 09-06-2010, 01:13 AM

100 posts, read 233,507 times
Inversion (caused by air trapped by high pressure or by wildfire smoke) can cause gray days (no sun) that can be depressing. Boise is a nice larger town with a small town feel. Overall, I would say it is very family oriented. It is, however, an economically depressed area and I would think long and hard about moving here without having a job lined up or bringing your job with you. Bluntly, I think it would be very difficult to find work in construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: