Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,953 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I never thought I'd call Boise home...but the Lord has other plans! Yay!

I'm moving from Texas to the Boise area because of a new job in the Nampa area (however, I heard NOT to live in Nampa). I need your help with information because I won't be able to travel there before the move. Please keep in mind that I DON'T mind driving. Where I live in Texas, it takes 30-45 minutes to get anywhere on a good day, so I don't mind the commute, plus, I work off-peak hours that aren't during rush hour.

1. What is the best place for single professionals? I tend to enjoy downtown, urban living so I didn't know if you had recommendations of nice places? From what I read...the high rises downtown are pretty expensive. Can you recommend any that are somewhat affordable?

2. Where would be the second place you'd recommend if downtown living doesn't work out? I want a safe area, with decent nightlife and outdoors.

3. I think the appeal of Idaho is living in an area I'm not used to. Can you think of any areas that have nice views of the mountains or lots of outdoor recreation? I'm a huge outdoors person.

4. FINALLY, any recommendations on good churches in the area. I attend a non-dominational church/Bible church and this is my biggest prayer...to find a great church home. Any recommedations would be amazing.

Thanks so much for all the help! Now I have to work on getting ride of my Texas accent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 05:21 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,785,211 times
Thumbs up Welcome to Boise!!!!

From someone with a 'few' similiarities to you, here's my take -

I commuted to Nampa on various occasions and loved living in the NW Boise foothills next door to Eagle. There are quite a few churches to try out and depending upon your age will probably make a difference as to which one will be best for you. My top two choices are Foothills Christian in NW Boise on State St and Capital Christian Center on Fairview in Meridian. Both churches are easily accessible from NW Boise/Eagle areas.

I'm not a fan of downtown Boise for living or hanging out, but that's just my personal preference. Quite a few posters on this forum love downtown and I respect that. You may like downtown Boise also and you can easily get there from NW Boise/Eagle area in approx 20-25 minutes on State Street or Hill Rd, which is the way I mainly used.

NW Boise/Eagle area has a bunch of great parks, foothills to bike/hile, 5 minutes to the river/greenbelt, cool happenings and restaurants in Eagle / downtown and easy access to Nampa via State Street/Hwy 44 or my preference via Childen Blvd/Hwy 26. Normally I could get there in 30 minutes give or take any accidents and it was always opposite of commuter traffic.

To give you any additional help, I would say rent first before making any decisions to buy (if that was your intention) and understand that it might be difficult to make friends no matter where you live in the Boise area, because the area is very 'family' oriented and not as much geared towards singles (jmho ).

Tell us more about your age/sex/likes and dislikes and you will hopefully get more info . Best wishes to you on your relocation and safe travels also !

Quote:
Originally Posted by breckenj View Post
Hi there! I never thought I'd call Boise home...but the Lord has other plans! Yay!

I'm moving from Texas to the Boise area because of a new job in the Nampa area (however, I heard NOT to live in Nampa). I need your help with information because I won't be able to travel there before the move. Please keep in mind that I DON'T mind driving. Where I live in Texas, it takes 30-45 minutes to get anywhere on a good day, so I don't mind the commute, plus, I work off-peak hours that aren't during rush hour.

1. What is the best place for single professionals? I tend to enjoy downtown, urban living so I didn't know if you had recommendations of nice places? From what I read...the high rises downtown are pretty expensive. Can you recommend any that are somewhat affordable?

2. Where would be the second place you'd recommend if downtown living doesn't work out? I want a safe area, with decent nightlife and outdoors.

3. I think the appeal of Idaho is living in an area I'm not used to. Can you think of any areas that have nice views of the mountains or lots of outdoor recreation? I'm a huge outdoors person.

4. FINALLY, any recommendations on good churches in the area. I attend a non-dominational church/Bible church and this is my biggest prayer...to find a great church home. Any recommedations would be amazing.

Thanks so much for all the help! Now I have to work on getting ride of my Texas accent!

Old 06-27-2011, 06:30 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,010 times
Congrats on your decision to move to Boise! I think HDL makes some great points about the livability of NW Boise. That is a great area. I'd say, though, that the most happening place to live for a young single person would be the north or east end, particularly around Hyde Park (13th Street between Fort and Irene and surrounding areas). This area is adjacent to the Boise foothills, is an easy walk or bike ride to downtown, and is full of active people of all ages. It is particularly popular with young professionals and outdoorsy types.

Another good area is the Central Rim and Depot area of the Boise Bench. If you look on google maps, these areas are labled. Housing is a bit more affordable than the north end but you still have great access to downtown and the greenbelt. If you focus on places near the intersection of Kootenai & Vista or Orchard & Emerald, you'll be within walking distance to some shopping and dining. I live in the area bound by Garden/Rim/Houston Road/Emerald and there are lots of young people in the area--it's very friendly. Garden Street connects to the greenbelt so biking downtown is a real highlight of this neighborhood. Not a lot of housing available at the moment, though...but things do come up.

I've heard great things about The Vineyard which is easy to get to from about anywhere in the valley. Vineyard Boise Online - Vineyard Boise Home

Old 06-27-2011, 07:39 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,785,211 times
Red face Oops.....I meant to say "Chinden Blvd" NOT Childen

I just noticed my error .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
From someone with a 'few' similiarities to you, here's my take -

I commuted to Nampa on various occasions and loved living in the NW Boise foothills next door to Eagle. There are quite a few churches to try out and depending upon your age will probably make a difference as to which one will be best for you. My top two choices are Foothills Christian in NW Boise on State St and Capital Christian Center on Fairview in Meridian. Both churches are easily accessible from NW Boise/Eagle areas.

I'm not a fan of downtown Boise for living or hanging out, but that's just my personal preference. Quite a few posters on this forum love downtown and I respect that. You may like downtown Boise also and you can easily get there from NW Boise/Eagle area in approx 20-25 minutes on State Street or Hill Rd, which is the way I mainly used.

NW Boise/Eagle area has a bunch of great parks, foothills to bike/hile, 5 minutes to the river/greenbelt, cool happenings and restaurants in Eagle / downtown and easy access to Nampa via State Street/Hwy 44 or my preference via Childen Blvd/Hwy 26. Normally I could get there in 30 minutes give or take any accidents and it was always opposite of commuter traffic.

To give you any additional help, I would say rent first before making any decisions to buy (if that was your intention) and understand that it might be difficult to make friends no matter where you live in the Boise area, because the area is very 'family' oriented and not as much geared towards singles (jmho ).

Tell us more about your age/sex/likes and dislikes and you will hopefully get more info . Best wishes to you on your relocation and safe travels also !

Old 08-01-2011, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 5,744 times
Hi breckenj!
My boyfriend and I are moving to Boise from Florida. It's safe to say we have never even entered the Idaho state, much less Boise. Nor do we know anyone there. But it seems you have very similar preferences in living situations as we do! Have you found a place to live yet? What are your impressions of the best areas to live? If you could offer any specific apartment names that would be great, as I am afraid the first time we visit will be moving day. (It all depends on how much time his company gives him to move.) Thanks!

Old 05-21-2014, 09:44 AM

3 posts, read 10,104 times
I am a single senior woman who loves the outdoors and wants a good Christian church to attend. I want to move to Boise and would love the downtown area. Could use suggest afffordable downtown area apartments to consider. I just came back from visiting for a short time for my 1st time. I did take a look at a couple of them but did not have much time to do a lot of looking. I am wanting to walk and bike, loved the greenbelt. The apartment complex does not have to have all seniors as I am young acting and love young people too. However I do prefer A NICE APARTMENT COMPLEX WITH GOOD MANAGEMENT.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:00 AM

5 posts, read 10,602 times
There are some really beautiful places downtown to live but if you head toward the SE Boise area, you can find a home closer to the Greenbelt/River too. Its still just a bike ride down to stores, restaurants, bars...etc. You would have close access to the parks too. That area of town would be close to Table Rock...a great trail to hike too. I could go on and on....so beautiful here. Especially if you are an outdoors person, you will love it here! Let me know if you have any other questions...would be glad to help!

Old 05-28-2014, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,774 times
The best apartments in Boise would be River Quarry. It locates in the best Boise districts - Parkcenter and right beside river for biking, running and easier access to grocery shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: