Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 05:17 PM

264 posts, read 907,858 times

Advertisements

Can someone share the difference in weather between CDA and Boise ?
Is CDA that much colder in winter ?

Also can someone share the difference in "vibe" between those two cities ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 08:09 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,708,187 times
The panhandle might as well be another state. It has much more in common with Western Montana and Eastern Washington than with the rest of Idaho. They do share that Northwest laid-back vibe, I guess.

CDA is much wetter, cloudier, and colder on average compared to Boise, cabin fever really sets in as the winter drags. The plus side to that is it has near perfect summers and is very green and beautiful while Boise is pretty brown and can be almost too hot at times in the summer months.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:22 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
I'll second the above, but with an addendum.

If you like snow sports, winter in the north won't be an issue. Alpine and cross country skiing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, etc. There are plenty of indoor activities as well if you just get out and do them. Triple Play in Hayden and Silver Mt in Kellogg have good indoor water parks. Basketball, racquetball, indoor pools, health clubs, movies theaters, roller skating, etc. Things for active kids and adults. Cabin fever tends to be self-induced from what I've seen in most cases, or can hit people who are less mobile/active. But if you're not big on long dark gray winters, north Idaho is NOT the place for you.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:37 PM

I really like cloudy days and have trouble with too much sun. Not a fan of humidity like we have in the south.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:05 PM

We don't have southern humidity. It only gets muggy on rare occasion.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:05 PM

Sage,thanks for the reply. This past suummer I was in Utah and the furthest north i got was Bear Lake, I guess CDA looks much different ?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:08 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post
Can someone share the difference in weather between CDA and Boise ?
Is CDA that much colder in winter ?

Also can someone share the difference in "vibe" between those two cities ?

Sage hit it right on considering weather. CD'A gets colder with more snow in the winter than Boise does. Boise gets hotter during the summer but it is tolerable, but this is Idaho heat not Arizona heat. A lot of us in Boise generally like the summer heat. It is great for growing huge heirloom tomato's in your back yard.

Here is my take on the difference in the vibe between the two cities. CD'A is smaller, has more of a touristy vibe because of being right on a lake and feels, and I mean this in a good way, backwoodsy sophisticated, artistic and laid back. Boise is much larger, fast paced (for Idaho), is the government, finance, and business center of the state and also has BSU in the downtown area, so lots of younger and older creative and professional people, and has sophistication and artistry too. Both cities also have similar vibes, but I'm familier with both cities well so it is my take on it.

Both cities are outdoorsy, and big on bikes and being fit and active. Both host Ironman each year, both have claims to having the states largest collection of high rise buildings. Both have a ski mountain in close proximity. CD'A is obviously built in the woods, Boise is a green, urban forested, and verdant city in the high desert with deep woods a half hours drive away. So, in some respects in Boise we have the best of both worlds, the forested mountains at the back door, which continue unbroken all of the way up to North Idaho, and beautiful desert scenery to our south to check out. On the weekends it is like, do I want to go check out deep desert canyons or head up to the forests and sit in a hot spring along a river, tons of choices. The sunsets in the Treasure Valley are the most beautiful I have seen anywhere in Idaho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post
Sage,thanks for the reply. This past suummer I was in Utah and the furthest north i got was Bear Lake, I guess CDA looks much different ?

I grew up in Eastern Idaho and not far from Bear Lake. Bear Lake is much more arid than the CD'A area. Imagine the land around Bear Lake covered in moist forests and you would have similar scenery to CD'A. Although in Bear Lake, on the Idaho side you can access forests pretty easily in the mountains directly on the east side of the lake.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. Last question, cost of housing difference between the two cities ?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:17 PM

Give me some examples/specs and we can give you some ideas of pricing...

Old 08-04-2011, 05:28 AM

I just saw where in Boise it looks like you can get a nice house for $200,000, looks like you can get a nice bungalow for $150,000. 3 bedrooms , 2 baths type deal. I looked at the CDA area and it looked a bit more expensive but its hard to tell because I don't know the areas and such. I saw homes in Post Falls that seemed reasonable but know nothing of the area. I really wish I had drove up there when I was in Utah back in June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area