Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:10 AM

11 posts, read 30,849 times

Advertisements

I'm still planning my move to the Boise area and came across the Boise River Float (BRF) experience. I have a couple of kayaks and a 10' john boat for fishing and have considered selling them prior to my move. All the pictures I've seen of the BRF show inflatable rafts and tubes. Are kayaks and small boats allowed to participate in the BRF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 12:26 PM

674 posts, read 1,458,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorida03 View Post
I'm still planning my move to the Boise area and came across the Boise River Float (BRF) experience. I have a couple of kayaks and a 10' john boat for fishing and have considered selling them prior to my move. All the pictures I've seen of the BRF show inflatable rafts and tubes. Are kayaks and small boats allowed to participate in the BRF?
The Boise river is a navigable river, and so theoretically they can't disallow any access to the river. I know the FD uses jetskis on the river for rescues, but jetskis aren't allowed for use by the public (not sure how they control that).

I kayak the Boise regularly, but during float season and summer flows it's overkill.

So, it all depends on the flow. Summer float season flows range from 500cfs to 1500cfs. At those flows even a canoe is overkill. During the winter and spring flows usually range from 1500 cfs to 4000cfs, which is perfect for kayaks, canoes, and bigger (non motorized) boats.

This spring was awesome... flows were above 3000cfs for almost 4 months, and for 2 months above 7000cfs (almost flood stage).

Old 07-26-2011, 06:16 AM

11 posts, read 30,849 times
The Boise can be used for fishing and kayaking all year or is it monitored for seasonal use only?

Old 07-26-2011, 09:21 AM

I'm not sure about fishing but you can boat it all year, and I'm assuming you can fish it too. There are no ESA or other fish prohibitions for use.

Whether or not you want to boat it all year is the thing. The Boise River is freezing all year 'round, and it is hard to get into even in July. By August it is usually warm enough outside, and the water a bit warmer, to make it tolerable. The other 10 months of the year, and especially from Oct to May, it's downright freezing and you'll absolutely need a drysuit if you plan on being in the water at all.

I just went on my first float for the year, and I remember why I avoid that place during floating season - it is white trash central. So many incorrigible, foul, annoying, cigarette smoking tramp-stamp covered white trash it's ridiculous. No wonder Sandy Point Beach has an e-coli outbreak.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:09 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,980 times
Thumbs down jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
I just went on my first float for the year, and I remember why I avoid that place during floating season - it is white trash central. So many incorrigible, foul, annoying, cigarette smoking tramp-stamp covered white trash it's ridiculous. No wonder Sandy Point Beach has an e-coli outbreak.
Wow, tell us how you really feel.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:28 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,049 times
Is he wrong?

I take part in the clean the river programs every year, and you should see the crap we pull from the river and the banks. It's sad, pathetic, frustrating, and enraging.

Tell me you don't see any of the above on that river. I haven't floated in years, but I see it from the Greenbelt all the time.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:35 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,323 times

Old 07-26-2011, 05:53 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,323 times
Canadians are the cause for the e-coli at Sandy Point, geese to be more accurate.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:18 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Do you take part in the Boise RiverSweep and other clean up efforts?

I'm sure I know you if you do; if not, I'm sure I'll see you down there this year.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:56 AM

I'll just say, for something that is considered "family friendly," here is what I experienced last Sunday:

-Two "accidentally" topless girls, couldn't have been older than 20
-Scads of itty bitty tiny bikinis on high school aged girls
-3 times I drifted through wafts of pot smoke
-Cussing and hooting and yelling like I was in Sturgis at a biker rally
-Tons of littering
-Lots of people sneaking drinks in their bottles

Maybe it's better during the week, but on the weekends it's a complete s--tshow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: