Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 04:22 PM

731 posts, read 957,845 times

Advertisements

Am visiting Boise for 4 days this Fall, hoping to get a feel for the area, and people.

Have always lived in California - loved it as a kid, now, not so much.

Am going to look at homes in Boise, Eagle and Meridian (LOL, don't ALL Californians!) and drive around to see what there is to see. Have been reading these forums, the local papers and anything else I can find on-line about Boise and surrounding areas. Boise sounds like home.

I love nature, love my dogs, love my family (one adult child, two small dogs and my sweetheart).

I've been blessed with inheriting my family home and as much as I hate to sell it, told my Dad before he passed on (I miss him every day!!) that he had given me a ticket out of California and it's nuttiness! He approved.

Have a couple of questions if you don't mind? One - am looking on-line at a home near Curtis Rd. and Fairview, off Lubkin St. (Not wanting to post exact address cause I don't want y'all to think I'm advertisting! LOL).

Anyone know this area? Wondering about traffic, peacefullness (I live on a busy street now and HOPING to get away from traffic noise!), crime...basically anything you can tell me. LOVE the house and the neighborhood looks good on-line, but real life can be different.

Thanks very, very much in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 06:40 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
Don't know anything about that exact street, but that puts you in the heart of classic West Bench houses. Spent a lot of time in that area when I first moved to town. Most houses seem to be 50's & 60's ranchers on big lots. Only reason we did not buy in that neighborhood was all of the houses we looked at were missing master bathrooms or had these tiny bathrooms off the master suite that only had a sink and a toilet. If I was more of a handyman I probably would have ended up a street or two away from Lubkin Street.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Don't know anything about that exact street, but that puts you in the heart of classic West Bench houses. Spent a lot of time in that area when I first moved to town. Most houses seem to be 50's & 60's ranchers on big lots. Only reason we did not buy in that neighborhood was all of the houses we looked at were missing master bathrooms or had these tiny bathrooms off the master suite that only had a sink and a toilet. If I was more of a handyman I probably would have ended up a street or two away from Lubkin Street.
Thank you very much grmi66! It looked like a nice area, I love the slightly older neighborhoods as the streets are generally wider and landscaping more mature...I live in a 50's rancher now and like it. This home appears to have been upgraded in the kitchen and flooring and mastgerbath (although it does appear small in the on-line photos - I can life with that).

How do you like Boise?

Many of the people I have spoken with who live there (both natives and those who have relocated) seem happy overall. As with everywhere, jobs appear scarce, but honestly, I will do anything (well most anything) as my highest priorities are location vs. lucrative work.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:34 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,010 times
Hi, BoiseBound! Congrats on your decision to explore Boise--it's a beautiful place. I grew up here in the north end, which I love, but moved to the bench about 12 years ago because it was more affordable and I could find a bigger lot that was still in a mature neighborhood. I lived for five years on Alamo which, if you map it, you'll see isn't far from Lubkin--just on the other side of Northview. This is a GREAT area--I loved it. The little pocket around Lubkin is pretty small but very cute and well maintained. It's a quiet area with mostly owner-occupied homes. I have clients who bought on Lubkin a couple of years ago that think it's great.

Not sure what your price range is, but there is a home listed on Balsam right now. It's a GREAT area--homes don't up for sale very often. The area gives you easy access to the Boise greenbelt and to parks in the area as well as downtown. There is also a new charter school within a mile of that location at Morris Hill & Roosevelt that is headed up by an administrator who came from top-ranked ANSER charter school.

Depending on your price range you might also find some areas you like northwest and southeast Boise. But, to me, the Boise Bench (and west Bench there where Lubkin is) provides some of the most liveable, nice, friendly neighborhoods in Boise (hence my name, "benchfan") If you need anything or have any questions, feel free to ask any time.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:46 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Fall in Boise is beautiful. It's a great time to visit.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 16,199 times
Hi Benchfan- is the bench right in Boise itself?

Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 AM

623 posts, read 1,612,010 times
Yes, the bench is the area just up the hill from downtown. I live on the bench and am about two miles from the center of downtown. The best neighborhoods are adjacent to rim streets--Mountain View, Rim Street, Houston Road and Crescent Rim all boast gorgeous homes with beautiful views of downtown and the foothills. I've listed those rim streets from west to east--the closer you get to downtown, the higher the real estate prices. View homes on Crescent Rim and Houston Road sell for $700,000-$1,000,000 and more. The neighborhoods just behind these streets are all solid, classic, lovely neighborhoods with great access to downtown, greenbelt, foothills and more. West Mountain View is a bit further out, but still in Boise.

The "second bench" is up another hill with another rim. There is a great neighborhood around Hillcrest Country Club with Hillcrest and Roberts Road being the main view streets. Further west between Curtis and Cole is the Randolph/Robertson neighborhood. Randolph is a view street with parts of it right above Borah High School (and less than a mile to the local Catholic High School Bishop Kelly). McMullen east of Cole is also a view street.

There are a few other view streets and great pockets. Also, Kootenai street between Vista and Latah is fabulous--lots of historic homes built in the 1930's with a Hansel and Gretel feel. The side streets in that area--Owyhee and Shoshone between Overland and Rose Hill--are also quite grand. There are lots of great streets and pockets there in the Monroe School area.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:23 PM

Thank you Benchfan! Been a while since I've frequented these boards, have visited Boise/Treasure Valley 2x now and fallen even more deeply in love w/the area, and the people.

Of course, there are nice folks in every state of this Country, but in all my travels, I've never been as impressed...Boise and surrounding area has truly friendly inhabitants.

Am looking forward to getting there permanently, and hoping that my dream...is more than just a dream. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area