Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:40 AM

674 posts, read 1,459,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I have friends who joke Boise people have a life because of the lack of pro sports here (although we have many minor sporting teams, except the Broncos). We Boiseans are into other healthier sports, biking, hiking, jogging, skiing, snow shoeing, so on and so forth. We get out and don't veg in front of a TV. Well some people veg in front of a TV I guess.

This is a narrative that isn't supported by any actual studies.

While there is certainly an abundance of outdoor recreation, actual studies show that places in California, Colorado and even Minnesota are much healthier and active.

Boise is no different than anywhere else; some people get out and do stuff; others do not.

The Most and Least Active Cities in America | Men's Health
America's Fittest Cities - Articles | Travel + Leisure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 11:04 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Hp1167, here is some narrative.
Take a break, drink some coffee and don't take everything so serious Hp

Actual studies, by the CDC, not a cheesy mens health magazine, show that Boise ranks very high in terms of being fit and active, more than Minnesota

America's 15 Most Active Cities - - TIME Healthland

America's 15 Most Active Cities
Feb 18, 2011

15. Aurora, Colo.
14. Salinas, Calif.
13. Seattle
12. Chapel Hill, N.C.
11. Denver
10. Santa Rosa, Calif.
9. Bellingham, Wash.
8. Burlington, Vt.
7. Minneapolis-St. Paul
6. Arvada, Colo.
5. Boise
4. Santa Cruz, Calif.
3. Medford, Ore.
2. Santa Fe, N.M.
1. Boulder, Colo.

Read more: America's 15 Most Active Cities - - TIME Healthland

and an article from Outdoor Mag last year, Boise winner of best town in the West.
The outdoors and being active had a lot to do with this ranking.
Best Towns 2010: Boise, Idaho | Idaho | OutsideOnline.com

Old 09-11-2011, 11:25 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARPARP View Post
So in other words you're saying areas far from major sports teams tend to emphasize college sports a lot more. I can't go anywhere in the state of Michigan without seeing a Tigers or Red Wings hat, car decal, flag, or t shirt. There is less Lions stuff understandably considering how bad they have been since about the mid 90s but this is coming I'm sure with Stafford, Suh, and other good players set to make the Lions a powerhouse. If I go down to Chicago I see people on the streets with White Sox and Cubs shirts and hats and what not. Everybody in the Upper Peninsula is all "Packers this, Packers that." I see the same thing with Colts hats/decals in Indiana. In other words I'm not going to see that in Boise.
In other words, you can bring all your Michigan sports gear wear to Idaho, and you'll be all set!

I'm originally from MI, and I don't think there is a more t-shirt team-oriented state in the U.S. than MI.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:22 PM

424 posts, read 1,379,405 times
For Football it's generally Denver or Seattle. There are a number of fans of the minor league teams in the area as well (ie Idaho Steelheads for hockey, Idaho Stampede for basketball, Boise Hawks for baseball). Personally I could care less for pro-sports, I prefer college football myself. Much more exciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area