Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 10:24 AM

10 posts, read 27,474 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone: We have one month to pack up and leave our Minnesota home and have chosen Boise ID as our next residence. We have never been there, but I've been reading this forum off and on. I like how the climate sounds and that there are lots of trees around.

We're looking for a home in the 130K to 150K range in a quiet neighborhood. Husband likes to garden so we'd need a little space for that. We'd like a quiet neighborhood, in a newer home. We are getting nervous as closing is getting nearer...and still have no idea where we should live. Would appreciate any help you could offer. We are wondering if Meridian area would be good for us. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

bajuhe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 12:39 PM

954 posts, read 1,549,731 times
I used to live in Boise some time ago, liked it very much, and often think of returning: it's a very nice medium-sized city.
But to your question, I think you'd be very foolish to move to Boise/Meridian or any city you've never been to before and immediately buy a home without investigating the city. Even though it involves 2 moves, ideally you'd make your move, rent for atleast a few months to learn about the city, and specically different potential locations for your new home, and then buy if you wanted to remain there. At the very least you should store your furniture and live in one of those extended-stay residences a few weeks when first arriving in Boise/Merideian to learn about the area. Doesn't that sound reasonable to you ?

Old 09-16-2011, 01:11 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
why would you move to a place you've never even visited before, especially if you are older, as you say. and I think there are alot more trees in Minnesota than in Boise.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:58 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Bajuhe, moving to Idaho sounds wonderful and exciting, BUT I also can't help shaking my head at your approach. I often try to read up on some of the OP's previous posts so I can get a better picture of what kind of help they need. So I can see you've lived for a while in Spokane, you don't want a lot of snow, and you don't want arid conditions, either. Do those criteria still apply? You're used to going online checking for properties, and also to come visit before you buy. So why on earth would you consider buying a house in Boise before visiting, unless you have a deep personal connection to the city (which would be none of our business), or you've made a very quick decision? JimBaker is right, if you really can't come for a visit (and time is short, I know that) then store your stuff and get a rental for 3-6 months. Where you spend your retirement years ("old folks") shouldn't be left to chance unless you are unusually adventurous. Boise is a fine place for taking a breather and making decisions about the future, but don't commit to anything long-term until you've tried it out for a few months, and explored the area. You'll probably love it--but what if you don't?

Old 09-16-2011, 02:08 PM

674 posts, read 1,458,995 times
Just rent somewhere until you figure it out. There's no way for any of us to tell you where you'd like, even you even like it here at all.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 AM

623 posts, read 1,612,610 times
If you've got a storage pod business in your area, that can be a great way to move. I've had out-of-state clients in your boat who put all of their belongings in the PODS, had them shipped and stored in Boise, then stayed in extended-stay housing here (hotel, Residence Inn, Boise Guest House, etc.) while their PODS were in storage http://www.pods.com/. (I hope sharing that link isn't a violation--this is not my company--just a great one that works well in these situations) When it was time to move, the PODS were delivered to the new house. This totally saved having to unpack and re-load a truck and gave them the time they needed to find the neighborhood and house that worked best without having to move twice. Otherwise, you might consider flying out for a week or so before your move and exploring the area.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:30 PM

114 posts, read 288,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
I used to live in Boise some time ago, liked it very much, and often think of returning: it's a very nice medium-sized city.
But to your question, I think you'd be very foolish to move to Boise/Meridian or any city you've never been to before and immediately buy a home without investigating the city. Even though it involves 2 moves, ideally you'd make your move, rent for atleast a few months to learn about the city, and specically different potential locations for your new home, and then buy if you wanted to remain there. At the very least you should store your furniture and live in one of those extended-stay residences a few weeks when first arriving in Boise/Merideian to learn about the area. Doesn't that sound reasonable to you ?
Ditto...My wife and I made two long visits over the past year and follow news, blogs, realeastate, ect. on a daily basis. We are still learning valuable information that is helpful. I highly recommend pumping the brakes a bit and doing some detailed homework. IMO at least one good trip there is a must. As beautiful as it looks and sounds, things are rarely the same as when experienced in person. By all accounts of the qualified experts, you better bring a garunteed income or have a source secured prior to moving....the job market still seems to be the chief deal buster for many people desiring to move to Boise. It still looks ideal for us, but a fair pension will be in the bag when we do it. Good luck!

Old 09-22-2011, 04:51 PM

30 posts, read 75,785 times
I'm not a retiree, but we did just move to Boise.
We were researching Boise for about a year and a half, visited twice (once in the summer and once in the winter), tracked weather and looked up weather history and STILL found a rental to make sure we liked it before buying.

There are a LOT of little nitches in the Boise area and you're not going to be able to find those, or really even know about them unless you visit a few times.
I would REALLY REALLY suggest renting a place, especially if you're thinking of Meridian (as I saw in another post).

I'm in no way putting down Meridian, but there are a lot of people there and the main road (Eagle / 55) does get very busy.
Of course that depends on WHERE in Meridian, some areas aren't as populated.

I guess that's my point.. rent someplace, find houses you like and drive around those areas.
That will get you to a LOT more areas than you'll find reading posts online.
Also look at crime maps.. we were looking at a house that had zero crime in the immediate area, but a lot of drug related arrests surrounding it.

I'd hate to see you make a hastey move to buy a place only to find out you don't like the area..

Just my two cents.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:40 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Harris Ranch in east Boise has a retirement community, but I'm not sure if the prices are low enough to fall into your desired price range.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:50 AM

64 posts, read 132,197 times
Just another reason to rent before buying. Consider the housing market. If you bought and after a year decide you really want to live in another area it will be very difficult to sell your house unless you really discount the price. Being retired means you have lots of time. Take advantage of that time by renting and discover where you really want to live before making a major financial decision.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area