Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 11:00 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,870,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
LOL! That's great Greg! Exactly my sentiments. Boise's traffic is hardly a problem. Now you on the other hand have a legitimate thing to whine about!
Oh, and I should have pointed out that the blurb with that pic when I found it said it wasn't even taken at the peak of our rush hour(s). This is what it's like around 3:30pm. The real fun begins at 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 05:05 AM

12 posts, read 60,685 times
Default Boise

I also hail from Cobb Co GA, though I live in Boise now, I do so miss Atlanta, it's on my mind since I'm trying to get out of Boise. I don't think that traffic picture or worse is actually any different from what commuters here are experiencing these days. I'm reading the Boise threads because I'm trying to figure out how to decipher these forums. I've been scouring Portland/Eugene/Bend and am more confused than when I started. How can people have such irreconcilable opinions about the same places? But I can kind see how it happens, like the traffic thing and the mosquitos/bugs in Boise. I mean even what I read about the weather - other people in this area might say the opposite - that the searing heat of the summer goes almost directly into winter and then back again into the heat. Just a wee small break inbetween, so like by Halloween you are costuming warmly let's say.

I don't know, but i found it extremely frustrating on the oregon forums, so keep me honest folks, but I'll try to give what I was looking for - just some insight on what actual experience someone is likely to have of a place on a day-to-day basis. I arrived here in '93, graduated from BSU, been working in IT/Real Estate. I don't really have anything against the place, just hasn't really grabbed me. Doesn't mean you couldn't make a go of it here, I still could, I think of it a numbers thing.

You could be one of the few that lived say on the cool North End, probably still not close enough to walk TO downtown, but you're close, and close to Bogus for skiing. Maybe you're a professional, or could pull a good job at Micron or HP when they're not laying off, the hospitals or BSU, but everyone can't live on the North End or work at those places and most people won't. Downtown is cool, but you can see the whole thing in a day and night. There's a smattering of cool places around and there is stuff to do. Skiing is close, decent zoo, lot's of parks, I know people who kayak and rock climb. there's vinyards believe it or not. Coffee, shops, restaurants, wine bars. Night life is okay, really small, but you can build a solid group of friends you'll see on a regular basis.

I don't know about that one Walmart in Boise proper or whatever, got to be more than that, they're everywhere, Fred's and Target too, and Costco, and Winco, Best Buy, and for a small area you'll be amazed at the amounts and variety in many things, from types of martial arts instruction to large movie theater complexes and IMAX, Boise does have everything.

I'm trying not to sound too negative, I don't mean to be, hopefully others can keep me honest without slamming me too hard, it's what I'd want to know about living in a place. You won't be walking anywhere, it's a car town, public transit is lacking and that's why traffic is oddly such a sticking point in this little town - the ever growing population is trying to get to the same areas on the same few roads, because the same urban planning concerning roads is in charge of developing communities and commericial, so everything you'll need is not necessarily part of your "community" of either affordable tract housing or McMansions, so you'll be driving, trying to stick to your local area to stay out of traffic, but finding you can't.

If you fit into the large working class that I have found is too financially concerned to necessarily enjoy all the area has to offer, or the large well-off class that lives in their own version of the area that you also need to be well-off to participate in, you can predict the experience you're likely to have. You have to be honest with yourself whether your the type of person to really participate in all things you'll read the Boise area has to offer. You could put together a nice little suburban life, but you can do that anywhere right? And these boards are about people trying to find a "better" place to live, right?

So...I don't see that Boise has any better sense of "community" than any other place - people mostly don't know their neighbors, don't like what's happening to their communities, mostly don't take advantage of all things that are available in the area, like anywhere else.

It's smallish with a smallish economy you're going to be trying to break into. The smallness gives it character on the plus side for instance, but also contributes economic volatility. The job market here can be difficult. BSU has many more Masters programs available now for instance that are hopefully not exporting to other towns, few Doctorate, have to go up north to Moscow Idaho for Architecture or Law degree, no medical or dental school in the state. You wont find there's much requirement for even college grads in this economy outside of professionals and Micron execs, etc. But if you have skills, specialties, should be able to find something. Looks like what I'm describing is a well formed upper and lower end with volitility and uncertainty in the middle.

I'm really not trying to talk anyone in or out, trying to give a "feel." It's not the only feel, there are possibilities and there is nothing wrong with this place, but I think it's a feel that a lot of people from here would recognize.

Hope that helps, and if not, I hope the follow-up beating I'm likely to receive will help clarify and not further confuse. I know how confusing these things can end up being.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:21 AM

Default Boise

PS

Make sure I highlight BSU as part of what adds to the community and of course football, (i had the strangest feelings watching Georgia destroy Hawaii) and pretty decent sporting choices in baseball and hocky and arena football, though no professional sports, I hear there's a NASCAR track coming. There's more golf courses than you'd believe. Eagle is getting a Velodrome (cycling). Eagle (part of Boise metro) has turned into a pretty cool actual "community," hip and even posh, but spendy.

And as far as drugs and gangs, I bet you could go your whole Boise life without noticing. I was flat out robbed last year working late, but I'd still call Boise safe, never think twice about going anywhere. But actually --

I'm a guy. Come to think about it, girls don't always like to be left alone or walk to their cars after dark in some areas. And the greenbelt, can be an awesome amenity in some places, but also a dangerous place.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:05 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,093,778 times
I think that's all a fair perspective, toxxic. I can certainly agree with everything you said, and I don't think you're at all inaccurate.

It becomes mostly a matter of what people value and prioritize, I guess. Different strokes for different folks, as the saying goes.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:02 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxxicduck View Post
If you fit into the large working class that I have found is too financially concerned to necessarily enjoy all the area has to offer, or the large well-off class that lives in their own version of the area that you also need to be well-off to participate in, you can predict the experience you're likely to have. You have to be honest with yourself whether your the type of person to really participate in all things you'll read the Boise area has to offer. You could put together a nice little suburban life, but you can do that anywhere right? And these boards are about people trying to find a "better" place to live, right?

So...I don't see that Boise has any better sense of "community" than any other place - people mostly don't know their neighbors, don't like what's happening to their communities, mostly don't take advantage of all things that are available in the area, like anywhere else.
Hey Toxxicduck,
Nothing wrong with your opinion and it's great to have different perspectives on this forum. I think what's hard for people is they might be looking for a black and white answer. As you explore more you find that there really is no right or wrong. Everyone will have different experiences with different results. Some things are more important than others depending on your needs. So to offer different ideas gives people a broad range to go off of when making a decision to relocate.

I will say I have to disagree with two of your comments. The first one in which you talk about having to be financially concerned in order to enjoy what Boise has to offer .....There are so many outdoor activities that you can do that are free within the city limits or better yet a two hour drive away, that I'm suprised you would say that. There are a ton of biking trails, hiking trails, camping facilities, and sights to see that are either free or minimal cost that I would say just about anyone could afford to participate in. Boise doesn't have Disneyland, Magic Mountain, SeaWorld, and a lot of the truly expensive activities that a lot of people might have difficulties affording, but that's the beauty of it.

As far as the second comment about sense of community, I also beg to differ. I don't know how many other places you have lived, but compared to the several different places I've lived, Boise-Metro seems to have a great sense of community. I think it depends where you're at in your life to be able to say that- what I mean is, depending on what you're going through at the time or different stages in your life might also determine whether you feel that sense of community or want to participate in it. In my early twenties I could have cared less about sense of community or even been oblivious to it's existence. Now that I'm more in family mode I'm much more aware of it. I can tell you where I live, if you were to walk within a two block radius of my house, all the neighbors know one another; and I'm being very conservative on that number, it's pretty close to the whole subdivision of 350 people who have a good relationship with their neighbors. I work as the social chairperson for our Neighborhood Association and I can tell you that I know of dozens of relationships amongst the neighbors on varying streets throughout our subdivision and the subdivision next to us.

I don't think our subdivision is any more special than any other place you could live in Boise- I think you will find similar experiences in many others throughout the Metro area. That being said I'm sure there are places out there that might not offer that same experience, but it's hardly non-existent. I've lived in several different sized communities and Boise has been the only area that has offered the strongest sense of community since my experience of one as a little girl.

Unfortunatley it sounds like that hasn't worked out for you and I'm sorry because it's a great experience when it does. I also think communities can be what you make of it. Our neighborhood was new when we moved in; we made a point to go out and meet everyone and often the same action was reciprocated. So I feel we actively made a point to make a difference in our neighborhood. We didn't come in with the expectation that the red carpet would be rolled out for us. I'm not implying that you had that expectation- so please don't take it that way. I just want to make it clear so it doesn't sound like everything is always going to be perfect all the time, just that sometimes you have to work for things, sometimes you have to expose yourself to be open to others. Some people might reject the offers and some people don't care, and that's ok, but there will be one's out there that you will connect with and hence the sense of community will begin.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:34 PM

Sure, I didn't mean to make "community" sound non-existent, this is an imperfect medium of communication and I'm imperfect as well. And free stuff does exist, different from the free stuff available elsewhere? Not sure about that. Are the people that need the free stuff necessarily taking advantage of it overall in this area? Not sure about that either.

Thought I'd try, with help from other Boiseans, to give what I was trying to find out from the threads I was reading of other places, and not coming away with a good answer for - something representative overall of what people are likely to encounter regardless of individual experiences. And I thought people were likely to read this thread since it is called "Worst things about Boise" which in that light I think my review is fairly positive.

Personally I've done quite well here, but I'm not sure the experience I'm having here is any different than I'd be having somewhere else. The same smallness that gives Boise it's great character also provides some ceilings and limitations, and the smallness character is changing from the same economic and development forces that are at work all over the country. Basically people are looking here to find out if a place is better or different, what's beyond the brochure, what it's really like, and I think I've been here long enough and know enough people that the details I've given are valid for a large enough number of people that they can be called somewhat representative and not just my narrow personal experience, but certainly not the end-all be-all of the Boise experience.

I know people looking on this board will benefit most from a lot of detailed discussion amongst us Boiseans, if I'm wrong, if it comes at my expense, so be it, just trying to help with what I know from the point of view of a seeker is really important to them.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:22 PM

51 posts, read 225,747 times
Toxxic, I think your post was quite fair and accurate regarding the sense of community here in Boise. Certainly people's experience in any location will vary, but your assessment closely mirrors what we have experienced. I think it does take an effort to really get to know people here, it seems people tend to keep to themselves. It may be that "community" occurs less in the neighborhood here and more in a church, school or other social group setting.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,550 times
I personally love Boise. I moved here in the middle of high school and found it a really great place and grow up and meet people. I went to Boise high school which after I visited many other school I decided Boise had by far the most accepting students (they don't seem to judge you on their first impression and don't form cliches) and was in the best location. My favorite thing about Boise would have to be the outdoor opportunities it presents. I recently got back from a weekend camping trip near sun valley and just realized how amazing this state really is. A few more pros of living in Boise would have to be the size, I lived in Dallas, Texas previously and New Orleans and just didn't like it due to the lots of traffic and just crowded in general. Also, getting around is extremely easy, its very easy to go for a family bike ride downtown and feel safe or hang out in the North End at hyde park or camels back, just an all around great place to live. Some cons of Boise would have to be that after a while unless you are constantly out with friends and family it seems to get boring like any other city mainly because they're aren't many things to do if you aren't 21. I am currently moving back down south for college and to try to start over but I have a feeling I will end up back in boise in the next 3 to 5 years. I always seems to miss it as soon as I leave it. Overall I would say Boise is a very great place to live and raise a family.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:20 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aratay View Post
Worst thing about Boise? Take a trip to a local Walmart on any given night and take a look at some of the locals....talk about living up to hick stereotypes! Larry the Cable Guy would have a heyday here. But, it keeps things interesting....and we're getting better about fashion and those types of things. That being said, I love Boise!
Haha...funny you said that, and so many people responded!

Whenever I go ANYWHERE in the United States, I ALWAYS go into Wal-Mart for people-watching. Its a great cross-section of the kind people you WILL see ALL OF THE TIME if you were to live there.

Very education, Wal-Mart trips, in ANY American city!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:37 AM

879 posts, read 2,857,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Haha...funny you said that, and so many people responded!

Whenever I go ANYWHERE in the United States, I ALWAYS go into Wal-Mart for people-watching. Its a great cross-section of the kind people you WILL see ALL OF THE TIME if you were to live there.

Very education, Wal-Mart trips, in ANY American city!
I disagree with that. There are a lot of people that AVOID Wal-Mart. That includes me and most the people I know! And the people I've seen at Wal-Marts in Boise and California are not the people I see all the time. If that is how one gets a feel for a place then ALL of America is trashy. (No offense to normal people that shop at Wal-Mart)

Case in point...a bearded man with long braided hair (the big braids like the Wendy's girl) wearing a turtle neck, knitted skirt and knee high knitted sock under work boots. Where did I see this? Not Palm Springs Wal-Mart but Garden City/NW Boise Wal-Mart. I wouldn't call that gentleman the type of person I saw ALL OF THE TIME in Boise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area