Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 08:50 AM

271 posts, read 247,760 times

Advertisements

We are currently living in upstate NY and looking to move to the western part of the country. Boise seems to be a fit for the family. We are a Catholic family with a 15 year old adopted daughter from China. My husband is a ham radio operator so we would need to live in an area that would allow his radio towers and antennas. I would also like some feedback regarding the high schools as well. I've done some research and Boise High seems like a good school. I've checked out Bishop Kelly and that just is not affordable. My daughter is involved in band and loves horseback riding. I'm into quilting. My husband is very active in our church. He volunteers for Sunday school and leading Bible study classes.

We are planning to visit Boise next year. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 11:27 AM

89 posts, read 251,794 times
I see nobody responded to you...sorry..we are also thinking of moving to Boise next year...I searched the word Boise in the forums and read all the older posts...they pretty much cover everyone's thoughts, etc...alot of negative comments on employment, housing market...but that isn't deterring us...hoping that helps!

Old 10-11-2011, 03:15 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,010 times
delhidi, I've been meaning to respond to you--sorry to keep you waiting. You are in great company with considering a move to Boise! Symbasmommy is right--there is a wealth of information in the forums already. Reading through posts will definitely help get you up to speed.

School-wise, all of the Boise schools are GREAT. Yes, Boise High has the top reputation academically but the other high schools all land on the US News & World Reports list of top 500 American High Schools. Meridian schools are good, too, though they have larger class sizes and not as many programs (fewer AP classes, fewer programs overall).

I'm not Catholic but have been to services for various reasons at both St. John's downtown and St. Mark's up on the west Bench on Northview. The communities in these churches are active and vibrant.

How tall are the radio towers? Do you need a rural setting? This is a new one to me--not sure how to advise on that one.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:52 PM

405 posts, read 1,280,371 times
I just escaped Oregon and moved to Boise. It's a nice , safe city.. But as most of native Idahoans say, "Don't Come Here and Change Idaho". I guess these are words to live by, as I find Idaho a great place to live. I didn't know they still had Ham Radio operators. If you don't mind, I'd like to learn more about Ham Radios, as I am somewhat of a survivalist and think it would be a great skill to learn. Maybe, it would be interesting to talk to your husband to learn more about his trade.

Idaho has a lot of open land and I think setting up Ham towers wouldn't be an issue at all. Considering the high number of survivalists in this state, I think he would be welcomed with open arms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area