Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 08:06 AM

11 posts, read 24,055 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I are up for some adventure and enjoying a new part of our country with our kiddos. After researching different areas, we have landed on Boise, Idaho. He will be retiring from the military soon and his civilian job is not tied to any one place...we just need to be within an hour of an airport.

Our dilemma is that the world is our oyster right now! So many choices and we want to make the correct choice for our two boys: Ages 8 and 3. We love Williamsburg, VA, but feel the pull to see what else is out there.

My husband has flown into the area, asked fellow co-workers pertinent questions, and generally has a twinkle in his eye thinking of all the fun outdoor activities our family can enjoy. We are both originally from the Midwest (OH and IL). We love to go camping in our RV, just started fishing, and don't mind traveling a bit to ski. (We will miss the ocean - maybe)

Because I am the one that hasn't experienced this beautiful region yet, I am going to be taking a trip to Boise in the next week or so. I am meeting with a realtor to show me around Boise, Eagle, and Meridian. We figure I need to give a two thumbs up before we place our home in VA for sale.

Any advice from someone who has lived in our current region or State and moved to the Boise area, or anyone other places in mind that we should be looking at?

I have been reading older threads, but would love some up to date info on the schools, housing, taxes, activities for families, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 09:40 PM

232 posts, read 565,636 times
Default Welcome to the area...

I retired from the military in 1985 and lived in the Virginia Beach and Northern VA areas off and on during those years. This past July I retired from the Foreign Service, and am now officially a retiree from this point onwards.

After several years of research and a one-month visit to the Boise area just to see what it was like, we chose to come here. We have not regretted that decision one single time since we've been here. We love the weather (although I'll withhold my final assessment until we've been through a winter), the people are incredible -- friendly and helpful wherever you go, prices are reasonable, traffic is easy, and there are tons of things to do for fun. It's just an overall very relaxing place.

If you get a chance before coming out here, take a look through www.realtor.com or other similar websites to get an idea of the homes available and the price ranges. Pick out a few that pique your interest and ask your agent to show them to you. From that you'll get an idea of what you might be looking for.

One other thing....don't overlook Nampa in the cities you're considering. That's where we chose to buy and are very happy with that choice.
Come on out....walk around and see things....take it all in....and keep an open mind. I think you'll like what you find....

Old 10-16-2011, 06:04 AM

11 posts, read 24,055 times
Default Thanks!

Just the type of insight we are looking for! Our realtor has compiled a list of active and sold properties for us with our wants/needs, etc. So excited to get there. I wish hubby could make the trip too, but someone has to watch our little ones here in VA.

If all goes as we think it will, our place will be ready for sale and the Christmas visitor's to Williamsburg! And by summer we will be enjoying Idaho!

Old 10-17-2011, 06:59 AM

85 posts, read 294,458 times
When I was looking to move to Boise, I loved the areas slightly east and slightly west of Eagle Road (even going out to Black Cat Road), going north from I- 84. I liked Eagle and Meridian. I didnt like Nampa. Dont fail to look SOUTH of I-84....off Eagle Road east and west. Good areas there too. That Eagle Road is a bear to drive, in my opinion....The baseball programs for kids and parks west of eagle road area are good.
Quite frankly, I found East End as too liberal for my politics. Too many Obama signs for me. I liked the Eagle, Meridian area alot. More conservative folks it seemed. And with a good interstate, you can get just about anywhere. Just know that the traffic can be stiffling....and there are not enough exits off of I-84 ! Good places to eat in west Boise and Meridian and Eagle.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:20 AM

674 posts, read 1,458,995 times
Frankly, I guess I get confused when people move here and what they want.

To me, there are very few areas that have a distinct quality about them you can't find anywhere else in the nation. Those are: downtown, north end, east end between Federal Way and Warm Springs to Highway 21, parts of SE Boise, North Boise along Hill Road, and parts of Eagle.

Everything else, to me... seems like any other suburb you'd find in any other place in the country.

Maybe I'm stuck up?

Old 10-17-2011, 11:28 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
Frankly, I guess I get confused when people move here and what they want.

To me, there are very few areas that have a distinct quality about them you can't find anywhere else in the nation. Those are: downtown, north end, east end between Federal Way and Warm Springs to Highway 21, parts of SE Boise, North Boise along Hill Road, and parts of Eagle.

Everything else, to me... seems like any other suburb you'd find in any other place in the country.

Maybe I'm stuck up?
I've lived in several cities, larger and smaller, and I have always thought that even our, or what locals may consider boring vanilla burbs, are nicer and more attractive than similar areas in other cities. My friends mom from Salt Lake really loves Meridian, she likes because of landscaping and greenery along the streets and at entrances to housing complexes. among many things. She could care less about downtown Boise or the Northend.
Different people, different strokes.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:55 PM

424 posts, read 1,379,332 times
As someone who lived in Northern Virginia (Fairfax County) for several years, I can say the thing you will miss most will be green and trees. Took quite a few trips to Williamsburg when I lived in Virginia and if you do like historical homes and green I would concur that the Warm Springs area or the North End are where you want to be. Plenty of older brick homes nestled right in the trees and the Boise River is within walking distance of Warm Springs (as is the greenbelt path that goes for over 20 miles along the river). Eagle has much more of a desert feel unless you are close to the river and IMHO is not convenient to the Airport as your only option for travel to the interstate is Eagle Road (which is the worst traffic congestion in the area, other than state street, which co-incidentally is the only route from Eagle to downtown). So I recommend either Northeast or Southeast Boise as it will keep you closer to the Airport, still give you the trees and historical homes feel that you would be used to and you are a short drive from the foothills and some decent hiking (ie Tablerock). The homes will be more expensive in those areas but honestly if you can afford a decent sized home in Williamsburg, you should be able to easily afford one here.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:41 PM

674 posts, read 1,458,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I've lived in several cities, larger and smaller, and I have always thought that even our, or what locals may consider boring vanilla burbs, are nicer and more attractive than similar areas in other cities. My friends mom from Salt Lake really loves Meridian, she likes because of landscaping and greenery along the streets and at entrances to housing complexes. among many things. She could care less about downtown Boise or the Northend.
Different people, different strokes.
I think the difference is in that larger cities/metros, those really unique areas are so expensive or home-owner prohibitive that most middle class people can only live in the vanilla burbs, even if they aren't as nice or close to downtown.

But you can't tell me that the majority of the Bench, with the exception of the Rim/Central Rim areas, can be considered "nice." Or virtually anywhere in West Boise around Cole/Franklin/Overland, or anywhere in Southwest Boise.

I agree that parts of Meridian and outer Eagle are pretty cool suburbs, even if boring. And a lot of West Boise north of Fairview is nice too.

But you can find those sorts of pockets in any large city, Portland, Seattle and SLC included.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:16 PM

17 posts, read 42,894 times
My wife and I lived in Boise for 4 years and absolutely LOVED every second of it! I miss it every day and cannot wait to retire there. We moved to Austin, TX b/c I couldn't land a job out of the Air force in Boise. Austin is okay but WAY too hot and brown(I know Boise is brown too) but its an ugly brown here with NO MOUNTAINS!!!! I miss Bogus Basin and Soldier Mountain....One day we will return! Oh ya, the traffic on Eagle Rd does suck balls!

Old 11-06-2011, 03:04 PM

100 posts, read 233,507 times
If you like a rural feel and are more interested in small schools and outdoor activities, you might consider Emmett, Star, Kuna, or even Melba or Marsing. If you want more of a suburban feel, Eagle, Meridian, or upscale neighborhoods in Boise might be a good fit. I would avoid Eagle Road area if traffic is a concern. The Boise airport will be a nice piece in your puzzle - relatively quiet and simple. There is very little public transportation. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area