Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 11,945 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I'm new to this whole city-data thing but it looked like a good place to ask some questions and get some direction, so I'm hoping you all can help me!

My husband and I currently reside in Edgewood, NM with our three elementary school aged children. Both my husband and myself are Native New Mexican's, (a title we'd rather not have!) and have had a strong desire to leave for quite sometime. Both of us feel that Idaho may just be the place for us!

So, here's what were looking for. We don't want to live in a big city. A small rural town would be better suited for us. The town we live in currently has approximately 2,500 people, and even that is a bit too much for us. We prefer tiny quiet mountain towns, but ones where a commute to the nearest city wouldn't be more than an hour. Since we have 3 kids, we'd love to be in an area with great schools, smaller classroom sizes, etc. We're outdoorsey people, and would love to be some place where recreational activities aren't difficult to find (I've heard that Idaho is an outdoors lovers paradise!) such as fishing, hunting, hiking, boating etc. And of course, a town where the crime rate isn't through the roof like it is here in New Mexico. I'm tired of gangs, drugs, theft and all the other stuff that goes along with it. So can anyone point me in the right direction? Which towns fit my criteria and are within an hours drive to Boise? Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 12:49 AM

94 posts, read 182,734 times
Greetings,
Would definatly steer you towards the Boise area. Like Middleton, Kuna, or Nampa.
Don't move to Caldwell lol.
Would advice on the outer parts of Nampa, but not too far away from I84. Like say out by Northwest Nazarene University.
That way you're close to Boise for work, but still in a small town feeling. And your children would have more opportunities in the Treasure Valley. Also, if you do move to Idaho, your children have a strong chance of actually wanting to stay in Idaho when they turn 18 lol.
Have struggled with these same feelings myself having lived in small towns all my life. But when I move to Idaho, my life will change. So obviously it makes more sense to adjust willingly than to struggle with it lol, especially since I want to build a better life there.
Eastern Idaho is very nice & beautiful, but much much more Conservative.

And would definatly recommend Idaho, am hopefully moving in July

*Know what your Priorities are for an area, and Make a list.
*Check out other cities that interest you, research them, see if it gives you that Spark, that feeling. See if it feels like home.
*Get as much information as you can. Find as many pictures, Blogs, Read tons of forums, watch videos on youtube (people also record while driving and post), constantly monitor the weather, monitor the news, check out craigslist, etc. Check out the History. Prioritize and Compromise, no area is Perfect 100%.
*Also remind yourself that when you move, you'll be living a different lifestyle.

Trust your instinct, your GPS, and make sure it's right in your heart.

I spent 2 years trying to decide this, and making sure. During the time, was getting over my ex, and researching other Cities just to be sure. Found out that I was subconsciously comparing them to Boise lol. That's when I knew, not to mention the constant nagging feeling I got 24/7, and the random dreams lol.

Trust your instinct, your GPS, follow your heart. If you're sure it's right in your heart then go for it. At least you won't be wondering what if.

And please let us know if you do decide to move

Have posted some pics up here:
Boise At Night

Old 11-15-2011, 04:43 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,169 times
If a population of 2500 is a bit big for you, you might want to investigate Parma, Marsing, Horseshoe Bend, Emmett, Payette/Fruitland, Vale, Oregon. Most of these little towns have websites and school information online. These are the ones that jump to mind as being cute little towns with decent access to Boise. Horseshoe Bend is fairly close to town and is also on the way to the mountain communities of Cascade and McCall so definitely right in the middle of things outdoor-wise. The other towns are more rural farm towns. I've had friends who grew up in Vale, Oregon an Parma, Idaho who love their hometowns.

Personally, if I were to move to a relatively nearby small town, I'd opt Hagerman, Idaho. it's farther from Boise but oh-so-pretty right on the Snake River with hot springs all around.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:24 AM

9 posts, read 25,021 times
Definately Emmett and Horseshoe Bend have close access to the mountains, yet a short drive to the city. Marsing is not bad - I have a friend who lives there, but she said she is seeing it go down hill (there is more low income housing and farm labor camps in that area).

Old 12-14-2011, 04:39 PM

7 posts, read 19,791 times
We moved here from a 800 person mountain town in SW Colorado. I would look at Horseshoe Bend and Emmett. Horseshoe Bend about 1k pop Emmett is 7k or so probably. The people are friendly and non pretentious. Good luck.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:19 PM

18 posts, read 48,161 times
If you are looking for a mountain town, you might consider N of Boise. New Meadows, McCall, Cambridge, Indian Valley, etc. Lots of outdoor recreation and hunting, hiking, etc. Fruitland, Parma, etc are not mountain towns.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:01 PM

100 posts, read 233,437 times
If you need Boise to be an hour daily commute, I woud suggest Emmett or Kuna. If you mean an hour away for occaisonal trips to town, then I would think that most of the suggestions above would be possibilities. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area