Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:57 AM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,485,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Where in Boise did you live? Just curious as I've noticed a huge difference in neighborhoods as far as the locals-for-life cliques are concerned.
West Boise. We may have done better downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 10:28 PM

114 posts, read 288,212 times
Default ...phony or real people??

I cant find the old post, but it's been mentioned several times that nearly half the people in the Treasure Valley are from other states and the making friends thing was not nearly as bad as this thread is making it sound. Can anyone out there comment...true/false/matter of opinion???

Old 01-05-2012, 11:45 PM

100 posts, read 233,420 times
You might also connect with Twitter. Boise has a very active online Twitter community.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:51 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclingfan View Post
I cant find the old post, but it's been mentioned several times that nearly half the people in the Treasure Valley are from other states and the making friends thing was not nearly as bad as this thread is making it sound. Can anyone out there comment...true/false/matter of opinion???
I think the descriptions contained in this thread are pretty active.

There's a difference between socializing and establishing legitimate friendships. I think Boise contains a lot of the former and little of the latter, for some reason.

My thought is that is a combination of the NW ethos and the fact that most people here choose to have families at a younger age, whereas in other places, Southern California, say, twenty-somethings and even people in their thirties make friends and tend to hang out with friends, eschewing the family life until later on.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,666 times
Hey I just had to jump in on this topic as I know an easy solution.
Head on over to meetup.com you might have to navigate to the Boise area.
There are tons of local groups in any interest you can imagine in the valley.
Weather you like to hike or drink or anything at all. Singles, religion or politics. you will find a group of local people to hang out with that share your interests. Then you can establish solid friendships.

Meetup groups are local worldwide. Its the first thing I would do if I moved to a new area and wanted to meet like minded people.

Peace.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:46 PM

405 posts, read 1,280,371 times
I haven't read all the posts but I have had a change of heart about Boise. It may not be what people expect. I find the redneck-element of the state very hostile and polarizing. Basically, they are always looking for an excuse to hate you and to put you down and if you are in any way, shape or form different from them, they will treat you like crap. This happened to me and it was shocking. I never experienced this from the good ol boy types in Oregon. Sure, there was the occasional hostile-pricks, but there was never this "You vs Us" or "Get out of our state" mentality there.

What I have noticed is that the liberals in Boise are actually some of the friendliest people I have met anywhere. Maybe, it isn't just liberals, but the transplants and all the more open-minded, free-thinking, cross-cultural people who seem to dwell in the downtown area and North End. That is the only places I will even go in this town anymore. I really love these areas and find the people there friendly.

This is odd, because I am a right-wing, republican, gun-owner, even semi-religious Jew. So, you would think I'd want to hang out with other like-minded conservatives? Sadly, Idaho rednecks and conservatives give the entire conservative party a very bad name. They forget that we are all Americans and have the right to live anywhere in the country we want. I don't want to get in a fist fight so I am always finding I have to restrain myself. My father and grandfather served this country and I get real pissed off when some redneck prick is going to tell me I don't belong in Idaho. I hope other like-minded right wing/conservative people can stand up against this stupid attitude that people here have in Idaho.

I am quite shocked. I originally moved here thinking I was in a place where people are friendly, accommodating and conservative. It was bizarre once people start attacking me for something as simply as, I think McDonalds is junk food and that they put small mom-and-pop restaurants out of business. Or, Michelle Obama is starting a program to educate people about health. Just because I said it was a good idea, I was insulted by some locals who said to "Get the hell out of Idaho, you ******* ninny". These are fighting words, but I don't have the junior high school mentality to engage with such juvenile, backwards imbeciles.

Yes, and if you are Jewish, not Christian, keep your religion to yourself. No matter how much, Idaho people claim "to not be racist", there is a lot of mistrust and bad feelings toward non-Christians. I think within Boise proper, like North End/Downtown, you are ok being open about your religion, but not outside.

Anyway, I just had to share my experience. Sorry for ranting. And, yes, I am going to be insulted, spit on and jeered by some of the Idaho loyalists who cannot believe anyone would dare saying anything wrong about their state. That is also quite common here, so beware! Never bad mouth anything about Idaho or complain to people you meet, unless you feel quite confident they are a good friend.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:14 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,007 times

Old 03-31-2012, 02:46 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post

Let the guy talk.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:59 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,417 times
I am not an Idaho loyalist, I don't live there presently, and don't plan on moving there anytime soon. However, the in your face attitude that MysticalDream claims to have encountered is something I have never seen. Not saying it didn't happen, I've just never seen it and not even sure how such a situation would arise.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:31 PM

405 posts, read 1,280,371 times
Did you spend most of your time in the city of Boise proper or did you ever spend time in the rest of the area with the good ol boy types? East Boise, where most of the liberal and open-minded people live is like a small island in a sea of ultra-right wing rednecks. Many people who live in these neighborhoods forget the rest of the state exists.

That isn't to say everyone here who is a conservative or good ol boy type is bad or evil. However, there is enough of them around, where I don't feel safe living here anymore and want to leave. Basically, being an outsider, who is not a Christian or "Redneck", you are scrutinized and people gang-up on you and chastise you for the smallest things. I've never felt the need to escape anywhere in my life, like I am being run out of town. I never encountered this collective hostility in Western Oregon or Washington, from left or right-wingers. Western Oregon/WA has a live and let-live attitude which I like better. One reason I am leaving this state. I have never been told "Leave My State" so many times. Also, the redneck types out here have nothing but horrible insults to say about the people who live on the Eastside/North End. I won't even go into the slanders they use. In Oregon , I would encounter them using these insults, but they were never so serious like here.

I am a shooting hobbyist, so yes, I got to meet the most conservative of the conservative here through my hobby. People in the gun/hunting community in Oregon are very friendly and accepting. I didn't think going one state over would result in such a different mentality.

Once again, this is coming from a conservative, Republican, gun-owner, pro-military, yadda yadda. Do you think I am being biased? I am not one to praise liberalism, but I found that people in East Boise/North End to be the only real sane people i met here, even if I disagree with them on various political issues.

I have to say I really enjoy the North End neighborhood and downtown areas of Boise. Yeah , the "meat market", as it is called, leaves something to be desired, but I have started to find some decent bars downtown as of recent where I can escape the chaos. If I was stuck living in Boise, I'd live in that area and I think it is a great area as long as you don't leave that area for socializing . However, being a gun-owner and conservative, I think I'd rather try to find an area where I can be more accepted and find other like-minded people. The Eastside of Boise is overwhelmingly liberal; quite a contrast from the rest of the metro area and entire state. Even though, I like the people in Eastside of Boise, I am obviously an outsider to their community, despite sharing some common traits.

Oregon, is way more expensive than Idaho, which is why I left, but now I think I am going to settle for apartment life. I wanted a house where I could have a reloading room, have a home gym , a big yard and I was able to get all those things. But, well, what's the point of having a nice house, somewhere you don't feel safe on a social level.

Last edited by MysticalDream; 04-03-2012 at 07:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area