Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 11:23 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times

Advertisements

To the OP: I would strongly recommend going to an allergist first and getting tested and getting treatments, if you haven't done so already, before considering relocation. It's very hard to predict the result of relocating because of your allergies. Even if you move somewhere that doesn't have whatever it is you are primarily allergic to, you could develop new allergies.

(Even if you were to later decide to relocate, it would be useful to know what you are now allergic to, another reason to consider going to an allergist.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 01:59 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,866 times
A humidifier might help. The air here is pretty dry in the winter unless it's raining, and running a furnace will dry the air out even more.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:52 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,417 times
Definitely go to a doctor. Like everyone else said, just depends what you're allergic to. Portland may have a whole rash of things that may give you worse allergies. When I lived in Boise my allergies were quite bad. I moved to Seattle they were worse, then I moved to LA and they weren't as bad...although the last couple years have been worse than previous years. So even by year, not just location, things can change.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:26 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
Aprodine medical facts from Drugs.com

Best non-drowsy allergy medicine out there. It basically the "old" actifed recipe before they changed it. This stuff kicks butt. Ever have one of those sneezing fits where each breath in gets sneezed out? Knocks em out in around 5-10 minutes and lasts the whole day (even though dosage says every 4 hours). Best thing about them? You can get a bottle of 100 for around $3 at Kroger.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:09 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
I may look in to this Aprodine for my own silly self, pythonis. Sounds like I could use it. I'll only use it PRN (as needed) though. I don't wanna be on something by rote from the doctor (or anything OTC) if I don't have to be on it every day. But this Aprodine may just take away those bad Pomeranian/Chow Chow fur and dander allergens, as well as allergens from molds-trees-dust, etc., standard, everyday allergy attacks I can get.

The asthma is another story and I already use Advair 250/50 for that. I can't believe how good Advair shuts my asthma down. I'm a Respiratory Therapist so I've heard about all the different drugs for asthma, and Advair just kicks some serious asthmatic butt, unbelievable! I don't even need an albuterol or atrovent rescue inhaler when I'm religious about taking my Advair 250/50. And with results like this I am religious about taking it. The alternative is just totally unacceptable: death by status asthmaticus!

Old 01-19-2012, 08:04 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
I only use it as needed as well. Cool thing is after more than 2 years I have yet to build up a resistance to it.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:00 PM

30 posts, read 116,382 times
Just my two cents: mold and/or cigarettes (second hand smoke). Try to find out if it comes and goes. If you check mold symptoms, it tends to clear when one isn't where the mold is (home/work/school).

Second hand smoke, and I take you don't smoke or else you wouldn't be wondering right? but you can correct me.....is also a trigger.

I sure hope you find the trigger and that it your condition hasn't become chronic.

Good luck to you & yours.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:43 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,951 times
Thank you to everyone for all of your help and advice! I truly appreciate it!

Old 01-28-2012, 11:42 PM

24 posts, read 60,312 times
This is my second Winter here. Last Winter I had no problems This Winter is way different... lots of pain in my sinuses with dryness mostly at night. Haven't been able to figure it out either. Also more headaches than usual. At first I thought I was getting the headches from the barometric pressure, which made sense considering when it's cloudy I have them more often. I have had allergies forever but always in the Spring when everything starts to bloom and the Fall when everything starts falling out of the trees and the wind blows it in the air. I could take Actifed or Pseudofed and they always worked. They don't work for me here so much. Also, I have never had dry skin like I have this Winter, ugh. Needless to say I have been miserable since about mid October.

I heard the Neti Pots can be dangerous, someone died from bacteria getting in the brain due to contaminated water, sounds horrible Not sure about those. I'm hoping that when the weather gets warmer and Spring is here it will all get better...until next October, or better yet my body will be used to it. I take Wal-Phed and it helps sometimes and lots of water of course. I mentioned the problems to my Dr last week at my yearly physical and she only asked what I had tried for it and that was the extent of that conversation

Good luck, keep us posted if you learn anything that could help the rest of us suffering.

Oh, and my user name doesn't imply that I'm happy about everything about my move here!!

Old 01-29-2012, 12:30 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
I can't comment on your specific location but I always have the problems you describe more in the winter months. Even nose bleeds. I've learned that a humidifier in the house helps a lot. And Saline Nasal spray keeps the sinus problems in check enough that I'm not much bothered by it and don't have the nose bleeds. Heating the house during winter months robs the moisture from the air and isn't good for people or the house either. I find if I can keep the humidity in the house up to at least 45 to 50 percent I have far less health problems. There have been times in the past when the furnace ran a lot the humidity would get down to 15, 20 %. I had serious sinus problems then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area