Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 12:57 PM

863 posts, read 2,992,832 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how many people are aware that this is being revisited NOW. I wasn't until this week. I find this to be of huge concern. While jobs and revenue are important, the costs to the residents of Boise and the entire Treasure Valley are too high in terms of plummeting property values, extremely high levels of noise that will negatively impact our children (hearing, schools, daycares and parks), and additional CO2 emissions affecting our already volitile air quality.

Based on news from more than a year ago, it appeared the U.S. Air Force had abandoned plans to base the F-35 in Boise. Now, a report dated January 20 has surfaced along with a schedule for hearings in Boise Feb 27 and 28th.

Plans enthusiastically endorsed by Boise Mayor Dave Bieter and the city council to locate F-35 fighter jets at Gowen Field could devestate the lives of thousands of residents, according to an opponent of the plan who based his conclusions on an official AIR FORCE REPORT.

A just released environmental impact statement conducted for the U.S. Air Force shows that at least 10,000 homes in a five mile swath between Columbia Village and Maple Grove would be classified as “NOT SUITABLE FOR RESIDENTIAL USE" due to high noise levels. Estimates are that the loss of home value will be in the $50 to $70 million range. Under one scenario nearly 7,000 acres off the airport from Columbia Village to Maple Grove would be in the impact area. Numerous Churches and schools have been identified as “noise sensitive sites,” in the report. The report also concluded “air operations” (take offs and landings) could increase as much as 50%.

Please go to saveourvalleynow.org for more information.

I'm interested in the input of others and encourage everyone who is concerned about our quality of life to look into this further. Public opinon is being requested until March 14. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 08:38 PM

278 posts, read 906,370 times
Thank you posting this. I had no idea of the potential noise impacts of this in SE and SW Boise!

Old 02-12-2012, 10:00 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
The F-35 has been shelved. It may never go into production, either, as the need for a brand-new NATO fighter is rapidly vanishing. The F-35 has gone into the same dustbin as some proposed new aircraft carriers, and a bunch of other large,expensive military stuff in the face of huge Pentagon budget cutbacks.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:36 PM

692 posts, read 3,142,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The F-35 has been shelved. It may never go into production, either, as the need for a brand-new NATO fighter is rapidly vanishing. The F-35 has gone into the same dustbin as some proposed new aircraft carriers, and a bunch of other large,expensive military stuff in the face of huge Pentagon budget cutbacks.
I hope you are right, but if thats the case then why are having the 2 separate public hearings this month.

I can't believe they would do this to a city area with established businesses, schools, residents, and in the heart of the population center of Boise.
It is Outrageous and Stupid to even consider it.
The area affected will be much larger then the Highest noise zones they show on there diagrahm.

Below are just a few of the latest bulletins on this subject status.

2012 02 07 - JSF Construction Progresses, Features Updated Design
Work on the new F-35B Joint Strike Fighter hangars is progressing; these hangars are slated to feature many improvements over the AV-8B Harrier hangars currently in use on station...

2012 02 03 - F-35 Jet Returns to Flying at Edwards AFB Feb 3.
AF-1, a F-35 Lightning II, resumed flying Friday, Feb. 3, at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., after the Integrated Test Force Team there received and installed the first properly packed parachute head box assembly for its ejection seat from the Martin Baker Aircraft Corporation...
2012 01 26 - JPO Statement on Parachute Packing Irregularity with -21 and -23 Ejections Seats
On 26 January, the F-35 Joint Program Office temporarily suspended high speed ground and flight operations at Edwards AFB, Calif., Eglin AFB, Fla. and Lockheed Martin’s F-35 production facility in Fort Worth, Texas after discovering improperly packed parachutes in affected production and test aircraft...

2012 01 20 - Panetta Lifts F-35 Fighter Variant Probation
Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta announced today he’s lifted probation from the Short Takeoff, Vertical Landing variant of the fifth generation F-35 Lightning II joint strike fighter which is absolutely vital to maintaining air superiority...

2012 01 20 - JPO Statement as Panetta Lifts STOVL Probation
"Secretary Panetta's decision to take the F-35B Lightning II short takeoff, vertocal landing (STOVL) variant off probation was a hard-earned..."

2012 01 19 - BF-7 Delivered to Eglin Air Force Base
Piloted by U.S. Marine Corps Maj. Joseph Bachman, BF-7 departs Naval Air Station Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base at 2:07 p.m. CST on its...

2012 01 18 - F-35A Performs First Night Flight
The first night flight in the history of the Lockheed Martin F-35 Program was completed Wednesday at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif...

2012 01 11 - F-35B Maintainer Trains to be Part of Aviation History
As the Marine Corps celebrates its centennial of aviation this year, a member of the 33d Fighter Wing became a part of that history having recovered the first F-35B Lightning II, here, Jan. 11...

2012 01 11 - Marine Corps Welcomes First F-35B Aircraft to its Fleet
The Marine Corps welcomed its first F-35B aircraft, the Marine Corps variant of the F-35 Lightning II, at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla., Jan. 11...

2012 01 05 - 2nd MAW Plans to Revolutionize
Marine Aviation with F-35B
In keeping with th its highest traditions, Marine Corps aviation has been and will continue to expand throughout the next year...

Last edited by silverfox; 02-12-2012 at 10:45 PM..

Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Thanks Banjo Mike. Are you sure? Your posts always seem very informed and credible. Do you have any resources to back this up? I did read an article that the Pentagon has scaled back program funding in the past couple months. But can only currently find informaton that this is going forward. Two hearings scheduled scheduled for later this month.

Monday February 27,

5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.

Capital City Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 63, 8931 W. Ardene St, Boise

Tuesday February 28

Boise Hotel and Conference Center 3300 Vista, Boise.

Monday February 27,

Monday February 27,

Tuesday February 28

Tuesday February 28

I'm not challenging you, just scared that this COULD really happen!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:05 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Hi, zoso...
I read several news articles recently that said the F-35 contract was to be cancelled, but you know how Congress is these days... maybe there has been some more recent developments.

The F-35 is a major Lockheed project, and Lockheed spread the parts and sub-assembly production around to several states- this means a lot of jobs in more than just one state could be lost, so it may be very hard to kill the jet off.

The US air superiority with the fighters we have now has been unchallenged for many years, so the F-35 was controversial from the first. The whole concept behind the jet was to make it a standard for all branches of the US military, and the standard for the NATO allies. In cold war terms, this made sense, but we're not fighting in a cold war position any more.

One of the problems I read about was the jet project creeped from being an air superiority fighter that was cheaper to fly than the current ones to a fighter-bomber-reconaissance-ground support aircraft. The costs just kept going up as the project has dragged along.

The jet is actually slower than some we have now, but has all the stealth bells and whistles. The Marines and Navy have had problems accepting it, because they need compact fighters than can take off on relatively short runways and carrier decks. The drone development took away some of the need as well.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:38 AM

46 posts, read 134,648 times
As someone who lived in Coronado, California for over 7 years, this is disturbing. Coronado is home to NASNI, and the noise disruption from the fighter jets then was ridiculous! If you were watching TV or having a conversation with someone in the room or on the phone and the jets were doing their touch-and-gos, you had to just stop talking/pause the TV and wait about 20 seconds until the noise went away--and then it would happen again about 5 minutes later. Because they were taking off and landing less than half a mile from my house, the jet fuel smell was very strong. And, because they were military, they could take off and land any time of night, so those times would be rude awakenings! It's one of the top reasons I left the area.

I hope they don't go through with this in Boise. It's just too close to residential areas.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:46 AM

692 posts, read 3,142,103 times
Bottom line in my opinion is,

This deployment of 72 F-35A aircraft to Gowen Field, and with their Vigorous flight schedule, would be a Game Changer for the Liveability of many people in the Boise area.

I have lived near commercial airplane traffic and these F-35's would make that look like childs play.
We currently have navy jets going over us here at approx 6-8,000 ft from Whidbey Island Naval air base and they are loud even then.
When they kick it up the ground rumbles.
Luckily they do not currently fly over at night.

Boise is not the place to deploy this number of aircraft.......No Way !!!!!

Old 02-14-2012, 08:31 PM

805 posts, read 2,000,984 times
Well I will gladly move into your house if it is unbearable. I live on base now in mountain home not even 1 mile from the runway. Just remember the sounds of those turbines is the sound of freedom and learn to appreciate it

Old 02-15-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
Well I will gladly move into your house if it is unbearable. I live on base now in mountain home not even 1 mile from the runway. Just remember the sounds of those turbines is the sound of freedom and learn to appreciate it

Thanks for your comment. I do appreciate all views. That's why I posted. I have friends and family in the military and am greatly appreciative of all you do.

I'm sure you'd move into it. It's a nice house, but will you want to or afford to be able to BUY it?

You say you are in the service living on base within a mile of the runway and I'm guessing you are living in military supplied housing. That is the life you chose and they go hand in hand. In our case, we've lived in this community for over 20 years. We've experienced first hand the decline in the job market and housing values and we (the entire area) will be slow to recover. We've already lost a chunk of the fruits of our work. If this goes forward we and many others are at risk of losing even more of all that we've worked for.

I understand the reasons for the program. I'm just very concerned if this is really good for Boise as for me it's about my freedom to have the quality of life that I've worked so hard to achieve. And it's not just me. There is a lot potentially at risk for the entire Treasure Valley.

Thank you again for your service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area