Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:24 PM

18 posts, read 28,611 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!
I will soon be a college graduate and have to do a 3 month internship this summer to finish up my degree. I have found a internship in Boise, that I got offered. I am very excited for the opportunity to move there for a few months ( and maybe longer). I am from NY! If you dont mind, can you answer a few questions?

1) Is it safe? Lot of crime?!
2) Lot of ways to meet people? I wont know anyone and hope to meet some people. If i went to a cafe, or a bar, are most people friendly and social?
3) Do most people travel by car or is it an area where a lot of people bike and walk?
4) Is it a religous area?
5) Are you a Yankees fan and if you are, are you able to watch the games?!?

Thank You for your help!

Last edited by Summermonths12; 03-05-2012 at 01:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 09:44 AM

674 posts, read 1,459,127 times
I don't understand your title...

1. Perfectly safe.
2. It's hard to meet people... people are surface friendly but it's hard to break into an inner circle. It will require a lot more work on your part. Best ways to do so would probably be work, church, and meetup groups in that order. Skip the bars and cafes as a way to meet people.
3. Most people travel by car. You can bike for sure, but it is a bit of a commitment, especially if you try to do so year round. Depends a lot on where you live and where you work. Still, a car is virtually necessary here for many things. Walking... maybe just around the downtown core and North End.
4. Absolutely not, and yes, you can watch games here. DirecTV has the YES network.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:08 PM

50 posts, read 163,981 times
Hi there and welcome!

The Boise area is a great place to live,workand visit! Whether it’s the vibrantcultural andrecreationalopportunities, the friendly people or the mild climate, Boise and the surrounding communities afford a quality of life second to none. Goodjobs, affordablehousing and a safe, clean and vibrantdowntown all add up to a great place to live.

Nestled in the Treasure Valley against the majestic foothills, Boise is part of a thriving metropolitan area of over 550,000 people. Boise is the largest metropolitan area in Idaho, and also the most remote metropolitan area in the United States, fostering a “unique sense of community.”

Situated where the high desert meets the western edge of the Rocky Mountains, Boise is the gateway to exceptionalrecreational opportunities including: world famous white-water rafting, Nordic and Alpine skiing, snowboarding, hunting, fishing, backpacking and camping. Hiking, biking and fishing are popular activities right in the metro area, accessed by miles of greenbelt along the Boise River. The foothills provide trails for hikers and bikers of all abilities.

Quality of life, low cost of doing business, an educated and motivated workforce, and the presence of numerous post-secondary educational institutions provide valley companies with a healthy environment in which to do business. The economy is a healthy mix of business,education,health care,retail, manufacturing,government and the military and professional communities.

Also check out the following links: Best Places For Business And Careers - Forbes.com

Boise Metro Chamber of Commerce

Boise Convention & Visitors Bureau :: visitor information

Old 03-09-2012, 12:53 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,127 times
Is that a cut and paste from the CC website?

Lol.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:21 PM

50 posts, read 163,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
Is that a cut and paste from the CC website?

Lol.
Yep!

Old 03-09-2012, 04:07 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,638,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summermonths12 View Post
Hey everyone!
I will soon be a college graduate and have to do a 3 month internship this summer to finish up my degree. I have found a internship in Boise, that I got offered. I am very excited for the opportunity to move there for a few months ( and maybe longer). I am from NY! If you dont mind, can you answer a few questions?

2) Lot of ways to meet people? I wont know anyone and hope to meet some people. If i went to a cafe, or a bar, are most people friendly and social?
3) Do most people travel by car or is it an area where a lot of people bike and walk?

Thank You for your help!
Be prepared for longer late daylight hours than NY. As the sun sets late in Boise during the summer.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:23 PM

100 posts, read 233,534 times
I think Boise would be comparable to upstate NY; similar to the Ithica area, except that it will be more brown and dry in the Treasure Valley. It can reach 100 degrees for several weeks in the summer, but it is a dry heat and is more tolerable than a humid 100 degrees. There are lots of young families in Idaho. You may have to be outgoing to find your niche. In my opinion, most folks find a vehicle essential for daily life even though they may enjoy biking or walking as activities. As for religious, probably about the same as anywhere. I am not sure about all sports, but a lot of folks in Boise sure bleed blue and orange for football. Anything else might be a little hit or miss. Best wishes!

Old 03-11-2012, 02:10 PM

405 posts, read 1,280,905 times
I hate to break it to you.. But those majestic foothills are not very majestic. THey are ok looking , but I think Portland's hills with lush green trees were far more beautiful. The scenery is Boise is nice, but it really seems like a mix of Southern California with Nebraska. It is unique and interesting, but definitely not "majestic". Now drive 1-2 hours into the Boise National Forest and then up to the Sawtooth Moutains if you want to see majestic. That truly is majestic, but living in Boise, you won't be able to see that day to day.

I agre with HP1167l, people in Boise are very slow to open up to strangers. They are like Oregonians in the way that they will act friendly, but will not easily want to become friends with you. People here stick to their little cliques. And, if you have the wrong political views on either side, you will be ostracized a bit.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:06 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
I actually think a lot of people walk and bike here. I see dozens of people every day walking their dog(s) in front of my house alone. I walk myself and always see people out walking dogs and biking on the streets. I hardly ever make it to the Greenbelt, but I'm pretty sure there are lots more people recreating and traveling there.

About the only places I've met people here are at work, and neighbors. Some neighbors are very friendly, some aren't, and some are jerks. Just like everywhere else I've ever lived.

It's fairly religious, but if you want to avoid those people you can always hang out in coffee shops and bars. Those types don't venture into dens of sin.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:56 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summermonths12 View Post
Hey everyone!

Thank You for your help!
Boise is safe, and people are friendly, how quickly you make friends depends on your scene. There are a lot of casual clubs, bars and coffee shops you can hang out in and strike up a conversation. If you are into the outdoors scene, mountain biking, rafting, rock climbing then you will fit in very easily.

A lot of people bike and walk and you will notice this much more in the downtown ,university, Northend and SE Boise areas. I was biking on the greenbelt both days this weekend and it was packed with people biking and jogging. Many people also use their bikes to commute and grocery shop, it all depends on how close you live to a grocery store or you place of work. Most people still have a vehicle too which will make life easier. If you are into mountain biking, both singletrack in the foothills or flat surface around town and on the greenbelt then you will be in heaven.

This is a religious area and there are also many people who are not religious.

I don't know about some people's comments here. I grew up in Idaho which is a state of majestic and exquisite mountains, so I am familier with mountain majesty and although the Boise Foothills are not as majestic as the Lost Rivers or White Clouds, they are still majestic and beautiful in their own way. I know them well and spend a lot of time hiking and biking in them, and they are unique and offer a lot of scenery. The Boise area is beautiful, depending on where you are in the valley you can see the majestic Owyhee Mountains rising to the south. If you drive up Bogus Basin Road out of the Northend you can be up at the top of the mountains at Bogus Basin in a little less than 30 minutes and be in deep forested areas and incredible views of the valley. The views from the top of our mountains looking north, east, and west, into the deep Idaho wilderness, are some of the most majestic beautiful views this close to a major urban center you can find in the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area