Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2007, 09:26 AM

7 posts, read 33,514 times

Advertisements

I work as a teacher in Boston and am considering a move because there's no way to work in a good school system around here and own a home anywhere within 30 minutes of your job. Is this the case in Boise?

Between my fiance (who is a counselor) & I we think we could make between $80k and $100k in Boise (we're guessing, really--we haven't yet looked for jobs). Is this enough to buy a home in a convenient location & begin a family in Boise?

I'd be especially keen on hearing from Boise-area educators!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 6,014 times
My husband and I are both new teachers who have lived in the Boise area most of our lives. The Boise School District is difficult to get into and has been experiencing declining numbers for enrollment. The surrounding areas tend to have openings, but getting a job offer is another matter. I had to teach in a rural school for my first year - about 35 minute drive each way on a 2 lane highway. So, the reality is that you may be able to get a job here in a suburb such as Meridian, Kuna, Middleton, or Nampa, but it all depends on what you teach. My husband and I both teach secondary ed (Social Studies and English, respectively). If you are in social studies, good luck. You better be a coach, know someone, and/or have experience.
We are actually looking at moving to the midwest due to higher pay scales and cheaper housing. Housing in the Boise area has gone up a lot in the past few years. For example, our house's value in Meridian has gone up $60,000 in the past three years.
Just a few things you may want to think about.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:45 PM

Thanks Burgundee. I teach secondary English too; I imagine the humanities are the most competitive all over the USA, huh?

Is Boise a markedly better district than the suburbs you mentioned? In Boston it's the suburbs that are the strong while the city... not so much.

Thanks for the tips & good luck.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 7,136 times
Exclamation Housing

House prices are crazy here! My wife and I just moved here and although we only had a modest house where we used to live a comparable house here is about 4 times as much. Having a 50% increase in pay to move here doesn't cover the increase in housing costs. Currently we are forced to rent at the Renaissance at Hobble Creek and it has been a nightmare! Regardless of where you live it all depends on your neighbors and the people at this complex are AWFUL!

Old 09-10-2007, 02:33 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,005 times
Contrary to what others say about the housing prices, you can easily get a nice house on 80 to 100 grand a year, you can get a decent home in boise city limits for 250,000 if you live in the the burbs that price can get you 3000 square feet, no matter where you live in ada county youll be within 30 minutes of all the schools. I dont know how easy it is to get a job though.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:25 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,319 times
JustinfromBoise is right. Compared to where you are from, housing is much more affordable here. I know you probably won't make as much as you do where you're at, but the cost of living is also less here than what you're use to. Considering what's going on with the mortgage companies right now you will fare better when buying a home if you have a good size downpayment with good credit.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:51 PM

JustinFromBoise & Torrie,

Thanks for the encouraging tips. Prices that look high to those that have lived in Boise for a while still look quite small from Boston. It's a place we will seriously consider.

Rozco

Old 09-17-2007, 10:29 PM

4 posts, read 32,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozco View Post
I work as a teacher in Boston and am considering a move because there's no way to work in a good school system around here and own a home anywhere within 30 minutes of your job. Is this the case in Boise?

Between my fiance (who is a counselor) & I we think we could make between $80k and $100k in Boise (we're guessing, really--we haven't yet looked for jobs). Is this enough to buy a home in a convenient location & begin a family in Boise?

I'd be especially keen on hearing from Boise-area educators!

Thanks!

As a teacher unless it is at the university level and you are something special you will not as a couple make 80-100k.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:37 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw_rejection View Post
As a teacher unless it is at the university level and you are something special you will not as a couple make 80-100k.
Not so fast, depending on their education and experience they could make in the 80k range and above. Check out this website.

Salary Schedule (broken link)

Old 09-18-2007, 10:52 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,005 times
I know a high school economics teacher he makes 65,000 a year, i think teachers like people to feel bad for them, wages aren't bad for a job that you get three months off a year plus two weeks at christmas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: