Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 PM

6 posts, read 12,293 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm planning on moving to Boise (from Michigan) in hopes of eventually getting a job at the zoo or with the department of fish and game through volunteering. Until then, I'm planning on working a menial job to pay the bills while I get enough experience and contacts at the aforementioned career starters.

Basically, I'm wondering what areas have more of a young professional vibe to them. I'm a single male (26), and I don't want the college crowd, but also don't want to be surrounded by only families concerned with marital life and future kids (gag me!). Ideally I'd like to be near the Greenway, because I bike and walk a lot with my dog, and it would be great to be in close enough proximity to bike to work, the zoo, and the fish and game office which is just west of downtown.

I don't really care about political/religious affiliations. It was a slight concern when I first was recommended Boise by friends and family, but I've researched enough to see that the city harbors a pretty eclectic assortment of people and their beliefs. I'm personally non-religious and liberal, but I have a lot of friends who are on the extreme opposite of that spectrum and I get along with them all the same.

I've heard the Depot, Central Rim, and Garden City have mostly young professionals, but that was from only one person that hasn't lived there for about four years now, so I'd like to get some more feedback before settling on an area. Also, I didn't see anything relevant to this topic recently posted when I searched.

Thanks for your replies in advance,

- Vel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 08:51 AM

623 posts, read 1,612,948 times
Hi, Vel. I think that the Depot Bench and Central Rim areas are great. If you can find something in the Waterfront District in Garden City, that would be fantastic, otherwise, the rest of Garden City is not where I'd expect to find a lot of young professionals. The nice parts of Garden City which sit between west Boise and northwest Boise in the area around Glenwood and the Boise River, are heavily populated with retired folks and families. The Waterfront District is a new area in Garden City that is next to the river in the easternmost part of Garden City that is next to downtown. In-between these residential areas, Garden City is largely industrial with some trailer parks and aging housing.

Probably the closest fit to what you describe is the north and east ends. For easy access to the parks, fish & game and the greenbelt, your first choice would be the east end (or northeast Boise), focusing on the historic area around Walnut and East State. When you look at a map, you'll notice that there are a number of streets that form a grid in that area--that is the historic east end. Walnut leads directly to fish and game and the greenbelt. North of that area is Foothills East, a great foothills neighborhood. To the east there is a cute mid-century neighborhood (Louisa, Hot Springs, Hillview, Bacon) that is very popular.

The north end would also likely be a great fit for you and it might be easier to find housing there (though still a challenge as our rental and housing markets are very active right now). The area around the Boise Co-Op at 8th & Fort is very walkable with easy access to downtown, the foothills and not too far from the Greenbelt.

I personally live in the Central Rim area which I love because Garden Street north connects to the greenbelt so we're a 10 minute bike ride to the heart of downtown and also have great access to the rest of Boise. It's a fairly small neighborhood that doesn't have a ton of housing activity, but things come up from time to time so it's a good area to watch. Same with the Depot Bench and Morris Hill neigbhorhoods.

Hope that helps. I'm sure others will have thoughts to add. Good luck to you!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:01 AM

863 posts, read 2,993,382 times
Hi,

The zoo is run by the city and F&G by the state. Below are links where you can go for more information and openings.

F&G jobs will not likely be in Boise. The site has a list of part-time, seasonal jobs/internships all over the state for college students pursuing a degree in sciences and biology. I found a volunteer program at the zoo for teens. I suggest you contact both to find out what kind of volunteer programs they have before making any plans.

Idaho Fish and Game - Employment

Human Resources

Whereas both are government, you'll have to take a test to get hired. Good luck,

Old 03-23-2012, 11:08 AM

6 posts, read 12,293 times
@ Bench - I didn't know there was also a F&G office so close to the zoo! That makes my search a bit easier, especially with the knowledge of the area you've given me, thanks for your insight to the areas. I like the sound of the historic district.

@ Zoso - Yeah, I've researched both organizations and have contacted both. My main reason for wanting to volunteer for them is to build up a contact list while getting some experience in those fields so that I may pursue something outside of Boise in the future. Unfortunately, my degree is in History, so it's probable that I will need to take some courses during my stay in Boise, but that's okay, I love to learn! The situation at the zoo is not only limited to teens, there is a specific section devoted to them, but there are also opportunities like animal care where you need to be over 18, which is the area I'm most interested in. Thanks for the forewarning though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area