Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:28 PM

18 posts, read 65,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
East Boise County: do you remember which towns or areas you saw? I just looked at a map and East Boise County almost looks like it would be the Atlanta area which is really deep woods and mountains.
Yes it was up the 21 I believe--you go out about 20 or 30 miles or so--there are some properties up their spread out. Although I imagine that road might be closed during snow.

Not sure if you can see this without registering but here is one from the area (Falcon Driver):

Property 83 Falcon Dr Boise Id 83716, information on RE/MAX CAPITAL CITY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
Wilderness Ranch (just across the Boise County line up highway 21) is probably the closest area to Boise that has a lot of pine trees. That or some of the areas along Robie Creek which is in the same general area. Those areas certainly are colder and snowier than Boise in the winter and are also a little far from city amenities.

The other posters are correct - Boise has a number of areas with mature, mostly deciduous trees. Pine forests only exist in the foothills and mountains outside of the city.
Well just a lot of trees would be nice--I grew up on the East Coast, been in California for 25 years. On the one hand, I like the drier sunnier climate (hence the interest in Boise and Salt Lake) but also miss the trees--pretty much just have palm trees in Southern Cal.

What would you say about Boise or Salt Lake area--which would be better?

Old 04-04-2012, 10:52 PM

405 posts, read 1,280,676 times
I think the answer might be Colorado Springs.. Ever thought about Colorado Springs?? Conservative, sunny and dry weather and big trees all in one spot.. It sounds like an ideal match for you. Plus, the cost of living there is less than Denver.

Salt Lake has probably more immediate beauty, although a 2-3 hour drive from Boise are some of the most amazing Rocky Mountain scenery you can find.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
I think the answer might be Colorado Springs.. Ever thought about Colorado Springs?? Conservative, sunny and dry weather and big trees all in one spot.. It sounds like an ideal match for you. Plus, the cost of living there is less than Denver.

Salt Lake has probably more immediate beauty, although a 2-3 hour drive from Boise are some of the most amazing Rocky Mountain scenery you can find.
Well as I said I would like to be close to California--both Boise and Salt Lake meet that criteria. Colorado Springs is about 1000 miles--two day drive. Boise and Salt Lake you can do it in a day easily.

My plan is to keep a condo in Southern California for winter getaways so being close enough to drive is important--that basically leaves Oregon, Boise, Salt Lake, Nevada, and Arizona. I do not want the extreme heat or barren landscapes of Nevada/Arizona and as I mentioned--Oregon is California North (at least in the populated coastal areas and the inland areas are too far from an airport).

Old 04-05-2012, 12:47 AM

You're dreaming if you think you could do Boise from Southern California in one day. You're forgetting mountains and the fact that no major interstate would bring you to Boise. That route through Nevada is very rural and desolate. If you break down, good luck!

Actually, according to Google Maps, Colorado Springs is only another 1.5 hours from Los Angeles, then Boise. And you take major interstate highways to get there. Just something to think about. In reality, it will take you no longer to get to Colorado Springs then to Boise.

Salt Lake is closer, so yeah, if close proximity is an issue, then Salt Lake would be best. But, you will lose out on the trees and the awesome scenery Colorado Springs has to offer. Boise really doesn't have much in the way of awesome scenery, unless you want to drive 1.5-2 hours.

If you don't like extreme heat, do realize that Boise is scorching hot in the Summer. Boise is in a bizarre banana-belt micro-climate that gives it much different weather than its surroundings. There is a reason why every house here is equipped with AC. You would be dead without it. I was at a shooting match in August and it was like 103F out and I almost got heat stroke at the end of the match. Boise has quite a barren landscape, as much of South Idaho. This changes as you go north and into the mountains.

Oregon is much less liberal than you think. It is definitely not anymore California North, then is Idaho. I mean, half the people in Idaho are originally from California, just like you. What does that tell you? Plenty of red Californians moved to Oregon, just as they did to Idaho. Oregon is mostly a red state, with Portland and Eugene being the only portion of Blue. Even then, there is way more conservatives in Oregon then you will believe. Portland is a city where you will see weirdo-hipsters and farm boys driving their pickup trucks side-by-side, even in the downtown. Oregon also has the best (least restrictive) gun laws in the country. Even the so-called red states in the deep south, have stricter gun laws than Oregon. You may also be interested in suburbs called Tigard and Tualatin in the PDX area. I lived in these places and they totally reminded me of Orange County back in the 80s, when it was conservative. Of course, there is more trees and friendlier people.

Maybe you should consider living in Bend? There is trees, cheaper living, although it is more cloudy and colder than Boise. Deschutes county votes Red.

Southern Oregon has all you want to. Once again, Jackson/Josephine county votes Red.. Grants Pass is a place I use to attend community college. It's a logger town and very conservative. You'd feel at home there. Also, it's just a day drive to Cali down the 5..

Really, you will be very welcomed in Oregon and your redness will be more appreciated in Oregon. IN Idaho, we are a dime a dozen, and there is a breed of redneck conservatism in this state, I don't find so appealing. YMMV

Last edited by MysticalDream; 04-05-2012 at 01:03 AM..

Old 04-05-2012, 02:27 AM

Quote:
You're dreaming if you think you could do Boise from Southern California in one day. You're forgetting mountains and the fact that no major interstate would bring you to Boise. That route through Nevada is very rural and desolate. If you break down, good luck!

Actually, according to Google Maps, Colorado Springs is only another 1.5 hours from Los Angeles, then Boise. And you take major interstate highways to get there. Just something to think about. In reality, it will take you no longer to get to Colorado Springs then to Boise.

Salt Lake is closer, so yeah, if close proximity is an issue, then Salt Lake would be best. But, you will lose out on the trees and the awesome scenery Colorado Springs has to offer. Boise really doesn't have much in the way of awesome scenery, unless you want to drive 1.5-2 hours.

If you don't like extreme heat, do realize that Boise is scorching hot in the Summer. Boise is in a bizarre banana-belt micro-climate that gives it much different weather than its surroundings. There is a reason why every house here is equipped with AC. You would be dead without it. I was at a shooting match in August and it was like 103F out and I almost got heat stroke at the end of the match. Boise has quite a barren landscape, as much of South Idaho. This changes as you go north and into the mountains.

Oregon is much less liberal than you think. It is definitely not anymore California North, then is Idaho. I mean, half the people in Idaho are originally from California, just like you. What does that tell you? Plenty of red Californians moved to Oregon, just as they did to Idaho. Oregon is mostly a red state, with Portland and Eugene being the only portion of Blue. Even then, there is way more conservatives in Oregon then you will believe. Portland is a city where you will see weirdo-hipsters and farm boys driving their pickup trucks side-by-side, even in the downtown. Oregon also has the best (least restrictive) gun laws in the country. Even the so-called red states in the deep south, have stricter gun laws than Oregon. You may also be interested in suburbs called Tigard and Tualatin in the PDX area. I lived in these places and they totally reminded me of Orange County back in the 80s, when it was conservative. Of course, there is more trees and friendlier people.

Maybe you should consider living in Bend? There is trees, cheaper living, although it is more cloudy and colder than Boise. Deschutes county votes Red.

Southern Oregon has all you want to. Once again, Jackson/Josephine county votes Red.. Grants Pass is a place I use to attend community college. It's a logger town and very conservative. You'd feel at home there. Also, it's just a day drive to Cali down the 5..

Really, you will be very welcomed in Oregon and your redness will be more appreciated in Oregon. IN Idaho, we are a dime a dozen, and there is a breed of redneck conservatism in this state, I don't find so appealing. YMMV
Thanks for the points--all very good. I was talking about distance between Boise and Sacramento area--I have friends there as well as southern Cal.

I am not redneck (you'd be surprised at my position on guns)--probably more liberal then conservative socially but certainly middle of the road, but very conservative economically and its the economics I am very concerned with and thats where we in Cali have completely clueless people putting people in office that are destroying jobs, driving businesses out, mortgaging the state to public employee unions, and I could go on. I prefer right to work states (Oregon and Colorado are not, Utah and Idaho are). California will ultimately collapse from the pension obligations--not a matter of if, just when and I think the forced union states will follow. Maybe I am wrong but I don't want to be paying for people to retire in their 50s with six figure incomes which is what we have in California. I'm interested in a state where fiscal responsibility is the primary concern. I could really care less about gay marriage or gun control or religion or abortion or any of the other typical issues important to the people on the right. However, I am VERY concerned with economics since frankly when that goes down the tube, all the other crap becomes far less significant.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:08 AM

Glad you are fiscally conservative.. Too bad you don't care about all aspects of the Constitution, as gun control and many other forms of manipulating our Constitution and trying to empower the government and weaken the populace is what got your wonderful state of California in the mess it is currently in. Is there any coincidence that California has the highest deficit, highest taxes, highest crime-rate and strictest gun control all coupled together? Where there is smoke, there is fire. You cannot take away one freedom and expect the greedy bureaucratic dogs to not want to take away the rest. The bigger Big Brother is, the smaller you are.

Anyhow, No need to get in a political debate. I didn't know your base was Sac..

Idaho also has its share of troubles, but yeah it doesn't have the nanny-state mentality and empower bloated unions and pensions of an already starved and bankrupt state. The California Prison system alone is housing how many people at US Tax payer expense who are not even citizens? There isn't a whole heck of a lot of jobs here and salaries are low. But, Idaho may be a good place to start a business. Between hosting a numerous amount of illegal immigrants and the worst financial mismanagement in the history of the country, it makes sense why you want to escape.

Personally, I think you will find Idaho maybe too conservative. People love their guns and way of life here.. Cheap living and lax gun laws was one thing that brought me here. However, the mentality many people have here: "You better think our way or get out." That is the mentality I have come across. However, there is a lot of other California refugees here you may meet and whom with you may feel comfortable.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Glad you are fiscally conservative.. Too bad you don't care about all aspects of the Constitution, as gun control and many other forms of manipulating our Constitution and trying to empower the government and weaken the populace is what got your wonderful state of California in the mess it is currently in. Is there any coincidence that California has the highest deficit, highest taxes, highest crime-rate and strictest gun control all coupled together? Where there is smoke, there is fire. You cannot take away one freedom and expect the greedy bureaucratic dogs to not want to take away the rest. The bigger Big Brother is, the smaller you are.

Anyhow, No need to get in a political debate. I didn't know your base was Sac..

Idaho also has its share of troubles, but yeah it doesn't have the nanny-state mentality and empower bloated unions and pensions of an already starved and bankrupt state. The California Prison system alone is housing how many people at US Tax payer expense who are not even citizens? There isn't a whole heck of a lot of jobs here and salaries are low. But, Idaho may be a good place to start a business. Between hosting a numerous amount of illegal immigrants and the worst financial mismanagement in the history of the country, it makes sense why you want to escape.

Personally, I think you will find Idaho maybe too conservative. People love their guns and way of life here.. Cheap living and lax gun laws was one thing that brought me here. However, the mentality many people have here: "You better think our way or get out." That is the mentality I have come across. However, there is a lot of other California refugees here you may meet and whom with you may feel comfortable.
Not trying to get into a political debate--just giving my reason for why I would prefer states like Idaho or Utah because if it were just about geography, climate, etc, I'd stay in California--it is impossible to beat this state for climate and natural beauty--just too many moonbats in charge of the state. And you misinterpreted my not caring about issues as not caring what the Constitution might dictate on those issues. There is a big difference. I have no desire to take your guns away, simply saying its not an important issue to me. As a lawyer (and I am one), I could make very good arguments both for and against carrying concealed weapons in public, as an example (or for many other hot button Constitutional issues)--I don't need to have a strong personal opinion on the issue. In fact, I think strong personal opinions more often then not results in poor analysis of issues as it clouds one's judgment. Its the reason I chose to be unaffiliated with a political party because I think people tend lose their independent thought and just follow the party line.

Anyway, I can assure you Boise will not be "too conservative" for me--hell even if they forced me to drive a pickup truck with a gun hanging in the back window, that's fine (it would not be loaded, LOL)!!!

What areas are there with a lot of trees in Boise proper (not pine trees, but just trees)?

Old 04-06-2012, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcemanDude View Post
I have no desire to take your guns away, simply saying its not an important issue to me.
I sure hope not

Quote:
-I don't need to have a strong personal opinion on the issue. In fact, I think strong personal opinions more often then not results in poor analysis of issues as it clouds one's judgment.
Well, for a guy who doesn't have strong personal opinions about things, you sure are ready to escape a place with perfect weather and scenery and go through the pains of moving. It seems you have strong opinions about what you care about. Perhaps, I could say the same thing about people's judgments get cloudy when they don't care that much about a topic as well. I think it can go both ways, actually.

Quote:
Anyway, I can assure you Boise will not be "too conservative" for me--hell even if they forced me to drive a pickup truck with a gun hanging in the back window, that's fine (it would not be loaded, LOL)!!!
Yes, you will be forced to drive a pickup truck. It has to be a stick shift, as automatics are for sissies. Bumper stickers are ok, as long as they don't have any liberal undertones to them.

Yes, you will have to have a gun rack. No, don't even think about keeping your gun unloaded . People have been condemned to Idaho Mental Institutions for lesser reasons. Dang, life in Idaho is going to be tough, ain't it?

Quote:
What areas are there with a lot of trees in Boise proper (not pine trees, but just trees)?
You will love Hyde Park.. That is where I hang out a lot. It kind of reminds me a little bit of the Laurelhurst/Irvington neighborhoods of Portland. Older, rustic homes, that are extremely well kept and lots of large deciduous trees all around. There is a lot of deciduous trees on the East and North End of Boise. Camelback Park in the Hyde Park area makes for a very pleasant easy day hike in the Boise foothills for all fitness levels. At the top of the Camelback lookout you can see all of Boise and to the Owyhees, which makes for a wonderful view. That area will be a perfect match. Considering, you are a guy who thinks for himself, which I like actually, even though we may not agree, I think the North End of Boise or Eastside is where you belong.

There are various places in town where you can find trees. Older neighborhoods, as with most cities, usually are places where older trees had time to mature. Google Street View can be a good help to you here.. Check out the area around the Boise Co-Op and Hyde Park and search from there.

Last edited by MysticalDream; 04-06-2012 at 02:00 AM..

Old 04-06-2012, 09:13 AM

6 posts, read 15,461 times
It is crazy to hear someone not from the city of trees say that the area has no trees it is loaded with trees and you can find pine trees as close as Idaho city and the surrounding area which is only 30 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area