Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:30 PM

18 posts, read 65,411 times

Advertisements

What about these places in East Boise up the 21? Is that realistic? Is that a winding mountain road? Can you commute that if you were working in Boise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 PM

405 posts, read 1,280,371 times
Aceman, commuting to work on the 21 will be quite a job, especially if you want to live where the pines are. Yes, it gets quite windy and steep when you go up and down the 21. It is a beautiful drive though once you hit Idaho City.

If you are working in Boise, I would advise Hyde Park or somewhere on the East side.. Once you live out in the country it gets quite rural and the higher you go the more likely snow can close the road at times, which can wreak havoc on work schedule, if you need to commute. Hwy 21 is actually quite deserty until you hit the treeline.

If you want Boise, Hyde Park is your best bet.. It's a very peaceful area full of trees.. You can also live by the river, but there are sketchy neighborhoods in some places, but nothing sketchy by Cali standards.

Another town you may want to look at is Roseburg, OR.. Right on the 5, cheaper living, conservative and lots of trees.. Another thought.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:53 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcemanDude View Post
What about these places in East Boise up the 21? Is that realistic? Is that a winding mountain road? Can you commute that if you were working in Boise?
You can do it but beware of winter driving. I work with a few people who live in the Robie and Clear Creek areas, between 10 to 20 miles up 21. People who commute to Boise from Caldwell drive close to 20 miles too, so living in the Robie Creek to Idaho City area really depends on your ability to drive along a winding road with a creek and cliffs one side. The Robie area isn't very far from town and there are a lot of homes in the forests really close to Boise. The area is beautiful. There really aren't any sketchy neighborhoods in Boise, just watch out for a few of the trailer parks and areas of Garden City.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
There really aren't any sketchy neighborhoods in Boise, just watch out for a few of the trailer parks and areas of Garden City.
You mean where MysticalDream lives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
You can do it but beware of winter driving. I work with a few people who live in the Robie and Clear Creek areas, between 10 to 20 miles up 21. People who commute to Boise from Caldwell drive close to 20 miles too, so living in the Robie Creek to Idaho City area really depends on your ability to drive along a winding road with a creek and cliffs one side. The Robie area isn't very far from town and there are a lot of homes in the forests really close to Boise. The area is beautiful.
Well here is what I mean---I don't care about cliffs on the side. But I don't want to get car sick every day driving on a road that has tight winds very close together (like if you've ever gone to Big Bear in California from San Bernardino). As long as the winds are over longer stretches, then I don't get car sick.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:27 PM

405 posts, read 1,280,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcemanDude View Post
You mean where MysticalDream lives?
Wow, another stuck-up Californian lawyer.. Stay home please.. Yeah, I probably live in a nicer place (with more trees) and drive a better can than you do.. I am software developer, not what you would think of as "trailer trash". Not that "trailer people" are all so bad. Actually, they are probably better people than you who come here acting like you own everything and that everyone else is inferior to you. From the sounds of you, I am probably more educated and well-rounded person than you. Shakespeare was right about your kind, anyhow.

Believe me your attitude will make people not like you here anyway. Yeah, anyone who believes in the Constitution, who owns guns is trailer trash.

I was trying to be helpful to you and you start making stupid insults. Anyway, I'll be sure not to contribute anymore help to you.

Last edited by MysticalDream; 04-07-2012 at 12:39 PM..

Old 04-07-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
Wow, another stuck-up Californian lawyer.. Stay home please.. Yeah, I probably live in a nicer place (with more trees) and drive a better can than you do.. I am software developer, not what you would think of as "trailer trash". Not that "trailer people" are all so bad. Actually, they are probably better people than you who come here acting like you own everything and that everyone else is inferior to you. From the sounds of you, I am probably more educated and well-rounded person than you. Shakespeare was right about your kind, anyhow.

Believe me your attitude will make people not like you here anyway. Yeah, anyone who believes in the Constitution, who owns guns is trailer trash.

I was trying to be helpful to you and you start making stupid insults. Anyway, I'll be sure not to contribute anymore help to you.
Take it easy Mystical--I was just joking--hence the -- I sincerely apologize if I offended you--I knew you were an educated person which is why I made the joke--would not have done it otherwise. I do appreciate all your help! Trust me--you and I would have a helluva lot more in common then you think. I own a shotgun--sits under my bed! You and I would have a good time sitting at a bar watching a Boise State game. I do not have any kind of attitude other than a sharp biting sense of humor. So please do continue to contribute.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:50 AM

3 posts, read 3,532 times
From Houston and I'm here in Boise/Meridian for the first time and I see pine trees everywhere. Not talking about a pine forest but in yards mixed with fir, spruce and deciduous trees. Not sure what kind of pines they are since Ponderosa should not grow at this lower elevation. But when I claim a place has no pines, I mean a city like Austin TX. There are NO pines. A lady on the plane told me there would be no pines. My dad was a forester. I grew up in an Alabama pine forest and have another kind of pines in my Houston yard. I know pine needles when I see them. They are not terribly tall pines, sort of short and squat but have 3 to 4 inch needles. You pleople who say there are no pines are nuts.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:35 PM

28 posts, read 79,900 times
Atlanta? In Boise County?
Oh honey, you want to stick to Robie Creek and Idaho City if you are looking that way. Stanley if you really want to be out in the woods because they at least have a civilized infrastructure even if Stanley is the icebox of Idaho and home to wolf packs. Atlanta is a bar, honey. No gas station even. There are some solid nice little older houses in the northend that have pines and a little wild feel, or there is the Highlands and Bogus Road. Bend Oregon in the Sisters has almost nothing except forest. You could look at Weiser, Idaho, too. And central Idaho. Just be sure to research you aren't planning to move to an old mine or a ghost town.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 3,532 times
Lovely place, Idaho City. That was sarcasm. No cell phone service. And the pines in Boise are Scotch Pines and a couple of other similar, cute little things. They sell them for Christmas trees around the rest of the country. I'll grant that Boise has no 100 foot pines like here in my yard in Houston but like I said before, Austin TX has NO pines. It also doesn't have the firs or spruce that are all over Boise. I love all the different spruce. Going to drive up to Cascade on my next trip. Got to be better than Idaho City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area