Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 10:11 PM

22 posts, read 120,839 times

Advertisements

Not to dwell on the negatives (I'm and optimist I swear), but I was wondering what people don't like about Boise or what they could change if they could. Just curious. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 10:56 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,599 times
Our growth patterns and planning (or lack thereof).

Old 09-15-2007, 08:40 AM

434 posts, read 3,178,125 times
I asked the same question on the forum last year before I moved here, you might want to check to see what everyone answered already. That being said, after a year of living here the traffic and the drivers are the worst thing about the Boise area. Somebody else on the forum nailed it when they said the driving issue is primarily a clash between fast paced drivers who learned to drive in places like AZ or CA and Idaho drivers who learned to drive in rural areas and do not know how to drive in a big city. All of these drivers seem to meet in Boise. Couple of peeves that seem to happen a lot here are people that drive slow in the left lane, taking 15-20 seconds to respond to a green light, the speed traps in Garden City that force everyone to slam on their brakes on Chinden, people that will pull out in front of you in order to drive slow and the list could go on all day.

Overall Boise is a great place and if you move here you will like it. Just realize that Boise has a slower pace of living, tends to run conservative on most issues and they do not like outsiders telling them how you used to do it where you came from.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:35 PM

306 posts, read 1,247,902 times
35 mile an hour zones. They are hard to get used to. I've been hear almost 3 weeks and I got a speeding ticket my second week here. I was going 52 in a 35 ...yikes! It (Maple Grove) was wide open and seemed like a nice fast street ... wrong. My husband and I have a new motto: When in doubt go 35mph - its a safe bet.

I love everything else. The weather is currently perfect and I am enjoying exploring.

As for the driving, I was born in raised in CA and spent the last 9 years in AZ ... so my driving is WAY off and I really need to slow down.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:31 AM

434 posts, read 3,178,125 times
The other driving peeve is how many intersections are designed that you can only turn left with a left turn arrow. I hate just sitting there when I can see that there is no oncoming traffic. I can see the purpose of that on streets like Chinden, Eagle or Fairview, but why do they make you wait on secondary streets like Cloverdale, Ustick and others.

Also, watch out for Garden City Police, they are looking for cars that don't have a front license plate (meaning cars from AZ and CA) and checking to see how long you have lived here. My tags were expired by a couple of days, but I still got a ticket. Most other places I have lived won't bother pulling you over for expired tags unless it is 2-3 months past due. I had been trying to get ID plates but all of my paperwork was packed in moving boxes and I hadn't found my AZ title yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: