Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:17 AM

14 posts, read 23,279 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

We have recently relocated back to Idaho after being gone 7 years and, although I did not grow up here, I feel like I am back home! It felt like a long journey back. We/I love it here so much!!! I have been many places but this place is so special....I like to hear "outsiders" assumption of it being all potatoes & KKK (hey, whatever keeps the magic here a secret because I am a little Idaho stingy that way!)

Well, this time around we come back with children and different needs/wants. We lived out on acreage before but really want less time maintaining & more time enjoying outings with our kids. We really like the Warm Springs area in Boise but don't know much about it. We really like the Warm Springs Mesa subdivision, in particular. I would like any information or thoughts about this subdivision. Is it family-friendly (young children), is it safe, and (most importantly) how are the roads during the winter?!? Yikes, that seems to worry me the most since I've only ever lived on flat land for the most part. I have done my research & visits to the related schools & have like what I have seen for the elementary but any personal info with the East Jr High & Timberline High School would also be appreciated.

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 PM

278 posts, read 906,462 times
One person I knew that lived there seemed to love it. I know someone who has a daughter at Timberline and they seem very happy with that. Warm Springs Mesa has access to the foothills (Table Rock area), greenbelt, and (to me knowledge) very good schools at all levels. While a little hilly, I don't expect the roads to be any worse than elsewhere in Boise during the winter. In short, I think it is a great spot if you like the location and can afford it.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:51 AM

863 posts, read 2,993,071 times
I have a co-worker that lives off Hill Road and occasionally in the vew snowy, icy winter days we get she can't get up her driveway. So while we don't get much of that weather, it appears to be a little challenging at times. Personally I'd much rather drive on flat icy roads, than hilly ones. But then I'm not much of a snowy weather driver.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 PM

Thanks so much for the insight from both of you! It is really funny because I spoke with 2 individuals in the area with one saying its not an issue/the roads are well maintained & one saying they were awful in the winter! LOL. I am from Texas and not used to icy roads at all (hubby from MT and that says it all) & when I moved here for a job after college & years thereafter I was here, I don't remember having any problems on the flat roads in winter. We are at a crossroads because of this, everything else is a YES!!

Any other thoughts or knowledge about the roads and/or drive up there?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:03 AM

Just a quick update.....we are still on the hunt in this area. We like a house in there and have been to it a few times with our realtor but I still stress about those roads!! Since we want this home to be our last home for many, many years all I can think about is in 6 yrs when my kid will be driving! Yikes! I wish we didnt need to find a house so quickly so that i could go through a winter there!

So we are also now looking in Eagle but I certainly don't like the area as much. Great problems to have at any rate.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:18 AM

424 posts, read 1,379,405 times
I was actually going to post the major downside to the Mesa are the limited and dangerous roads. Not a task you want to tackle during the winter months when it gets icy. I had a buddy living up there when I was in high school and even during clear weather it made for some scary driving. Have you tried foothills east? It has hills as well but not the tiny narrow winding roads (nor is the grade nearly as steep).

Old 05-11-2012, 09:08 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,759 times
I agree with MrGrumpy that Foothills East would be a great option but the prices will be higher. I have been meaning to weigh in on the Mesa. I think this is a great area and offers some larger homes that are more affordable than just about everything else in the east Boise school area. You'll have great schools and nice access to foothills, river and downtown. I've known lots of people who have lived on the Mesa through the years and cannot recall any complaints about winter roads. I listed a property in Boulder Heights--the highest part of the Mesa--a few years back and my clients didn't have problems with the road and they always enjoyed the drive home--felt like they were getting away to something quieter and a bit removed from the city.

Yes, the roads are steeper and have more curves but you'll just have to take it easy on days with snow. The roads will be plowed and sanded. We don't get that much snow--I'm sure there will be a few rough days each year but I can't remember ever hearing about a deadly accident on the Warm Springs Mesa whereas you hear about accidents on Eagle Road all the time. If you are worried about safety, I'm not sure the windy roads of the Mesa are that big of a deal compared to navigating Eagle Road and State Street and the surrounding roads on a daily basis. I would choose the Mesa over Kuna or Eagle any day!

By the way, while I was writing this I asked my facebook friends if anyone had issues on the Mesa in the winter. Here's a reply: "Out of the 11 years we've been here, we've only had to park 1 of our 2 wheel drive cars at the base twice. And that was before the new road was put in." He also commented that they LOVE the area--puts them 6-7 minutes to downtown plus they love to hike to Tablerock and enjoy having the river nearby.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:23 PM

Thanks MrGrumpy...what exactly constitutes the Foothills East so that we can see if anything is available for us. At this point, the roads are still the biggest, and only, issue holding me back. My husband says if we bought in that area, he would drive the kids to school in the morning for me on days the roads are icy and by afternoon he suspects the ice would melt with the sun up there. I could always keep the kids home if it were that bad, I guess.

bench fan....thank you for your great post and thank you so much for reaching out to FF for direct input! I really appreciate that. We really love the area so much more than Eagle and definitely Kuna also. It seems so relaxed out in the WS area - I love that feeling! I also met a neighborhood couple and they were so great and gave me great insight on the roads and the neighborhood. I am feeling much better about the roads.....until I think of my oldest, but still young, child starting to drive up there!!!! LOL. That is how crazy I am being about this because we are ready to just be settled after our long journey back here with our children. I need to just get over the roads, I guess!!!

Either way, we are so loving life and we haven't even started our camping.....our favorite thing ever about living here!! This is truly our Utopia, house or no house!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 AM

285 posts, read 850,357 times
I agree with benchfan and think the drive down state, parts of chinden and eagle rd will be far worse than a few low-travelled residential roads. (hills or not) Just take it easy. It's the snow / ice in the traffic that is a bigger concern IMO. Just make sure you select the proper tire for the condition and be careful. I wouldn't hesitate to deal with the mild Boise winter in that area. The slick conditions on heavy snow days also shouldn't be too bad - at least not nearly as bad as it will be on the main roads where the cars pack down the snow and it turns to ice.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:02 PM

ILE.EB, I was reading benchfan's post to my husband and he couldn't have agreed more with the driving safety and road conditions between Eagle/Chinden/State and one or two hilly roads. If I feel super uncomfortable about the road on icy or snowy days, he'll help out with the kids in the a.m. or whenever I need it (I usually do all the kid hauling during the day). I am pretty sure we have made up our minds so I will keep you all posted on our progress.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU so much for the advice and help! Love y'all helpful, nice Boise folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: