Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,500 times

Advertisements

I have been breaking my lease agreement by allowing someone to live in a spare bedroom in my house. I know this is wrong, but it's not working out and I need her gone ASAP.

Are "verbal month-to-month lease agreements" binding?

Bottom line is that I gave her 2 weeks notice to move out, she's demanding that I give her 30 days at the very least. Can I kick her out?? Who does the law side with on this one???

I really need your help.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 04:19 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,169 times
I'm not an expert on this, but I would think you would have the default month-to-month tenancy relationship and she would have 30 days. Likewise, if she decided to move, she would have to give you 30 days notice.

Maybe Lacerta would weigh in or you could PM her--she is active property manager and may know the answer to this.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:52 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
All the Idaho Landlord/Tenant guidelines say about them is

Quote:
Idaho recognizes the validity of an oral lease for tenancies lasting less than one year, as long as the parties have agreed to all of the terms. However, the specific terms of an oral agreement are difficult to prove because people tend to remember conversations differently. A written, signed lease avoids the problems of a "he said/she said" situation.
In practice, what is usually assumed is that notice on a verbal lease must be for at least the same amount of time as the rent period. If the tenant is paying rent weekly, then 1 week's notice, if they are paying monthly, then 30 days notice.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:52 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,509 times
It doesn't sound like you had the legal right to rent the room in the first place, so you probably didn't have a valid contract to begin with. Basically, you could kick her out and she has no legal action against you. She could, however, tell your landlord and get you kicked out as well, so tread lightly.

I'm not a lawyer so take it as you will.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 AM

9 posts, read 21,703 times
I'd give them what they want. Angry renters can cause a lot of damage.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 AM

50 posts, read 163,890 times
Technically, you just can't kick her out. She has established residency. You will have to through what is know as a civil eviction process. You'll have to file in court.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:31 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
It doesn't sound like you had the legal right to rent the room in the first place, so you probably didn't have a valid contract to begin with. Basically, you could kick her out and she has no legal action against you. She could, however, tell your landlord and get you kicked out as well, so tread lightly.

I'm not a lawyer so take it as you will.
I'm actually not sure about this one. It may have violated the OP's lease, but that doesn't mean it necessarily was an invalid verbal contract. The OPs landlord could kick them both out for the OP's lease violation, but I'm not sure the OP can do so. The roommate entered into it in good faith, and by doing so, is granted some rights. I think if it ended up in court, the judge could come down either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1V23 View Post
Technically, you just can't kick her out. She has established residency. You will have to through what is know as a civil eviction process. You'll have to file in court.
For an "eviction", there has to be a reason, such as non-payment of rent, or destruction of property or a substantial lease violation. It doesn't sound like the roommate has done any of these things. It also takes a few weeks to go through the process. The OP is better off just letting them have the 30 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area